Community organisers accused of praying to Obama

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 1:31 am

This false accusation, originally made by Breitbart, was repeated by Lou Dobbs. Keith Olbermann quotes Dobbs in this tasteful segment.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbEY6aMEPb8[/youtube]

This is the video that will cause "chills"... see the subtitles that say "Hear our cry Obama" when clearly they say "Hear our cry O God".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuLaJVzPuGA[/youtube]

What's behind this silly accusation? I have my own ideas...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Oct 2009, 2:48 am

Maybe I need to get my ears checked but I think the "accusation" was brought about because that's what they're actually saying in the video. :roll: Notice how Olbermann doesn't actually show the clip that is so obviously clearly "hear our cry o-gawd-mah" with a silent g and d in god. :lol:

At best it's ambiguous.

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 2:59 am

Well, I was already told to expect a B, so I heard "Hear our cry, O bod.".
However, there was clearly not a third syllable in there.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 3:25 am

X_Parasite wrote:
Well, I was already told to expect a B, so I heard "Hear our cry, O bod.".
However, there was clearly not a third syllable in there.

That is pretty interesting actually. I hear three. I really tried to hear it too.The power of suggestion is a powerful thing though. I'll try to test this out on someone without any prior knowledge of what it is sometime soon

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 4:22 am

The perceived third syllable comes from the combination of 2 things:
1. You were told that it was there.
2. While the people are all saying the same thing at the same time, they're not doing it in unison. This causes a lag after the second consonant.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 7:56 am

Since I read the thread before watching the video, I just listened to it without watching and was unable to understand anything the group was saying at all.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 8:27 am

This country has gone completely nuts. I miss the old days when the news was just the news and commentary was clearly differentiated. I guess we can thank the 24 hour news cycle beast for this kind of thing. If they have all this time to fill, why don't they use it to inform people on the events in history that led to a current situation? It's all about ratings and money. I lean left but I cringe when I watch Olbermann do the silly voices. He didn't always, he used to present his commentary in a dignified manner. But that doesn't sell. And if Rush Limbaugh is "just an entertainer", why isn't he on Comedy Central? The current state of "the news" is truly frightening. Nothing to me is scarier than mob mentality and the MSM is stoking the flames because of greed.

WhiskeyInTheJar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2009, 11:29 am

America has this huge problem that many whites do not like the fact that they have a colored president BUT don't want to reveil this coz this would be racist.
So what is their answer and how do they express their frustration? By making Obama suspicious.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2009, 12:25 pm

Must be one of those Faux News stories.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 1:04 pm

Oregon wrote:
Must be one of those Faux News stories.

I actually haven't seen it on there.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 1:10 pm

If a bunch of people say the same thing, such as "Hear our cry O God", chances are they are not perfectly synchronised, so you'd hear Hear-ear our-r cry O God-od... so it sounds at times like two syllables.

If these people were white, there'd be no suggestion that they are worshipping Obama or Bush or any other president or public figure. This case in my opinion confirms Lou Dobbs as a racist, it there had been doubts about that in the past.

Dobbs strikes me as an adherent of this idea that the core of America's being is white and Protestant and that everything great about America comes from that. After that, other people came and diluted this purity but the general direction of America had not been changed to a destructive path. There was fear of the Irish when they came because of Catholicism and they were blamed for corruption, then came the Italians and Jews - each were identified as carrying Communism. These new groups also were seen as being responsible for organised crime and destructive tendancies and corruption. Jews at one point came to be more accepted and their religion was seen to be more close to Protestantism in terms of promoting the wealthy.

Blacks were always seen as alien and un-American and one step from the jungle and voodoo superstition. Hispanics from the south are seen as Catholic mongrels. What the likes of Dobbs fears is that the blacks and growing Hispanics together team up to destroy the Protestant core of America and set it decisively under a new and debased political culture and economic policies derived from that. This is the true source of his anti-immigration position. His hysteria at the coming to power of Obama suggests strongly that he sees this as the coming to power of evil blacks because of the new balance of power that has diluted the white Protestant core. He suggests that it's this that is bringing America into terminal decline. Dobbs likes to frame the immigration issue as his defending the middle class. His over the top hatred for Obama and the Democrats in general strikes me as suggesting something else - that he is a latter-day Know Nothing.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 2:00 pm

That's a stretch. One there's plenty of white people in the video and I think the fact that they were community organizing group praying for healthcare to pass puts "hear our cry Obama" in context. The fact that there has been plenty of other videos like this as well. Listening to it, I just don't hear "Oh God" and hear Obama fairly clearly a few times. Typically people tend to put a little more emphasis when saying god as well. Maybe some are saying Obama and some aren't. It's definitely not clear either way.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 10:15 pm

What a bunch of poor saps, really. It's ashamed that the US and even the most northern part of North America is falling prey to this foolish tendency to rely on God to win political battles. These people are no more reasonable then those sorry folks in Detroit who thought they could pray an autobailout into existence and hence get their jobs back. Nothing fails like petitionary prayer.

Obama even gets away with inserting the meaningless platitude - "God Bless" into the end of his speeches for school children.

If they were praying to a figure - why Obama? Why pray to a de facto DLC, centre-right, Democrat who stands for talking activists money and spitting at them in return? Why not pray to a person with real committments to Community Organizing and grassroots issues, whose dolled out money for them, a person like Ralph Nader? Through litigation and Public Interest groups he's done more to further progressive causes than Obama ever will.

Last edited by Master_Pedant on 24 Oct 2009, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 10:44 pm

I'm predicting that within a few months this gem will end up here:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 10:47 pm

WhiskeyInTheJar wrote:
America has this huge problem that many whites do not like the fact that they have a colored president BUT don't want to reveil this coz this would be racist.

Honestly, I don't think it's this so much as the fact that so many of the far right were sorely disappointed that Bush couldn't run for a third term, and their Anointed Successor didn't win. They don't hate Obama because he's black, I don't think - they hate him because he's not McCain, and his VP isn't Sarah Palin.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 11:02 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
WhiskeyInTheJar wrote:

Honestly, I don't think it's this so much as the fact that so many of the far right were sorely disappointed that Bush couldn't run for a third term, and their Anointed Successor didn't win. They don't hate Obama because he's black, I don't think - they hate him because he's not McCain, and his VP isn't Sarah Palin.

Thankfully these nut jobs are in the minority in the States, the majority voted for change much to the rightwing
nutjobs dismay, your right Deacon its is all about race no matter how much the right rejects that race isn't the
issue.