Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

balto
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Feb 2006, 5:28 pm

Hi. I've got a 9 y.o aspie son, who was diagnosed a couple of years ago. He is really into maps, flags, anything to do with countries and computers. We had a really tough time getting him into school, but is doing really well now. We have a younger son and it's really hard trying to keep them both happy and stop my aspie son having tantrums and hitting him. Would be nice to talk to other people with same kind of problems

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 8:54 am

Welcome! Our son is 7 and has AS and we also have a 9 mos old little girl. We've been having issues with our son constantly trying to control the play with his sister and getting mad when she wants to be more than a prop in his playtime. :wink: Did you find that school got easier as he got older? We're having a heck of a time with our son and school. Right now he only goes in the morning and then I homeschool in the afternoon.

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Feb 2006, 9:24 am

Balto ~

Welcome to the site! My son also loves maps and computers as well. He also loves history.

CelticGoddess ~

My 10 y/o son had a hard time in first grade. That was our hardest year so far. His self esteem crashed and he dreaded everything about school. We ended up holding him back a year because he wasn't ready to go on to second grade educationally or emotionally. Boy, was that the best thing we could have done! After receiving his dx, implementing various school plans for his education, and getting him involved in after school activities that he wanted to join (cub scouting and soccer), he is a much happier child actually likes going to school again. However, there are various degrees on the AS spectrum, and my son is very high on the spectrum. I suppose we just mainly focused and reducing the stress level for awhile until he became more comfortable about the school and himself. Hope this helps.

balto
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Feb 2006, 3:45 pm

We had quite a few problems with schools and he eventually went to a special needs school for a few years. That was the best thing because it really made him settle down. He is now integrated in a mainstream school and loves it. We have problems when they do topics for a week or so that are not the normal routine and he cries and says he doesn't want to go but as soon as the routine is back, he loves it. So don't get too down, I'm sure things will get better and settle down

ster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 5:23 pm

for a long time while our boys were younger, it was a constant to be breaking up the fights ~ my NT son just didn't want to play the same things my aspie son did all the time, go figure! :roll:
we tried diligently to give each of them an opportunity to shine, and these days they get along much better ( they're 11 & 14 now). that's not to say that there still aren't days that they want to beat each other up....hang in there.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 8:21 am

JsMom ~ I really tried to push to get him into grade 1 this year but the board wouldn't let me. They go by what age the child will be in January and since he turned 7 in November, he was to be in grade 2. They didn't feel that his circumstances warrented putting him in grade one. He came from a Montessori school and it was the best thing for him. The routine is exactly the same thing every day, his sensory needs were being met, he has the same teacher for 3 year blocks etc. His current teacher in the public school system constantly tells me that he can't follow routine. Well geez, maybe that's because the routine is never the same thing! It changes every day! And that doesn't even count the semi-rotary where the class goes to two other teachers for two other subjects. :roll:

Balto ~ Sorry to hijack your thread. :wink: We're really hoping that when we get the firm diagnosis (process starts in March) that we will be able to move him to another school which has a class just for Aspies. Lots of EA's and everyone involved with them is knowledgable in the aspects of AS. As much as I would hate to move him to yet another school, I feel that one holds more promise than his current one who expects him to conform to what his peers are capable of doing.

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2006, 8:52 am

[CelticGoddess' quote]I really tried to push to get him into grade 1 this year but the board wouldn't let me. [/quote]

I sympathize with you. The principal and school psyche at the first elementary school we had J in didn't want to hold him back. They also did not agree with the AS dx. Their whole approach was to put their heads in the sand and pretend J did not exist. However, every other teacher and expert on J's evaluation team at that school agreed with us that he should be held back. We ended up moving and changing elementary schools. In the States, it's ultimately the parents decision whether to hold their child back in this type of circumstance. I wouldn't know Canada's position on this. I just know in our case, it was worth the battle.

balto
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Feb 2006, 4:44 pm

CelticGoddess - no problem. I know how you feel about moving him to another school, but schooling is the most important thing and getting it right is top priority. I'm sure that if you get him into the school you want he will come on loads and it really helps. Hope it goes your way :)