Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 9:37 am

Ditto my friend. Ditto. :wink:

The majority of my music that continues into the 2000s are continuing bands such as System of a Down, and Autechre etc.

Browse through my music collection, and you won't find a hint of (c)rap (Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, N.W.A, Eminem Pre-Encore etc. RULE) or hip-hop, pop s**t. :D

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 10:13 am

Two words; college stations. Saved my life in the late 70s (Willard, if you were forced to play disco, you're going to Heaven, because you've spent your time in Hell...;). Heard U2's 'I Will Follow' (I think that's the name of it), which was so uncompletely like 'have you ever been mellow?' and the rest of the period music. Took up with that, new wave, alternative, etc., and totally forgot to gripe about how much better 70s music was than this newfangled stuff...HEY! you kids get off my lawn!...;)

College stations (check the web, or just look down near the 80-90Mhz areas of the radio dial, at least in the US), will play anything. Sometimes it's crap, sometimes it's good; but that's mass media for you...;)

Another place (found here) is lastfm. A web site; you plug in a band name, and it plays them, then other bands that 'sound like' them. occasionally, it's good, sometimes so way off it's funny.

Young people really get into music; it's very important to them, so that's why they sing it, etc.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 10:27 am

I also like to listen to music from cultures other than my own. Traditional African with those lovely harmonies and Middle Eastern are some of my favorites. I also love old 30's and 40's torch songs and bebop jazz. I like country if it's someone like Steve Earle and Allison Kraus. I have a CD by the New Orleans Klezmer All Stars and they are a lot of fun. I am really uninformed-only recently discovered The Strokes and Arctic Monkey's. When I listen to Juicebox by The Strokes I can keep a grin off my face. It makes me think of white gogo boots and dancing in cages. :P

firebird93
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2009, 6:47 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
firebird93 wrote:
Also another pop song that I simply cannot stand is that Single Ladies song, you know by Beyonce. Look, I don't have a problem with Beyonce, it's just that her damn Single Ladies song is so annoying that it get's to the point wear you want to rip your own ears off! So please feel free to tell me what you think if hate today's music as much as I do.

Thank god I'm not the only one. I'm so sick of the popularity behind Beyonce's Single Ladies (especially in association with babies or homosexuality). It kinda makes me want to blow my brains out. It's not even that good of a song or a dance. Seriously.
Yes, finally someone who has not been brainwashed by that stupid song and dance!

Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 5:04 pm

I hate today's popular music.

You know, the stuff EVERYONE listens to but has no general idea why they listen to it, the rap music, pop, even alot of death metal. It's just the whole everyone else likes it, gee, I think I'll start liking it too thing.

music not played on the radio > music popularized by media

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 7:16 pm

Most of the music I listen to is made today. Occasionally I will 'discover' an older artist and delve a bit into their catalogue, but for the most part I feel that there's enough good music coming out today that there's little need to go back and listen to older music, unless it's exceptionally good. As it is, currently I buy one to six albums per week, and that is all mostly new music.

Top 10 music artists according to playcount in the last 7 days
1 Ladyhawke 58
2 Horrorshow 38
3 Jens Lekman 34
4 The Temper Trap 31
5 Hilltop Hoods 30
6 Meaghan Smith 20
7 Jorane 14
8 Eskimo Joe 12
8 Joanna Newsom 12
10 The Shins 11

silvskaterdude
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2009, 3:09 pm

alot does: pop = suck modern rap(exept the undeground stuff) = fail most modern rock ie emo pop = epic fail those all suck
i do like modern underground rap like dl incognito, pos, classfied, atmosphere, shwayze, cassidy, jedi mind tricks and imortal techniquie rock also alot of modern punk like sum 41, billy talent, rise against, hit the lights, marianus trench, forever the sickest kids, ill scarlet, machine gun dolly, cute is what we aim for, benfit of a doubt, saves the day, all time low, ten second epik. plus alot a new metal ( metalcore mostly) silverstein, escape the fate, it dies today, avagned sevenfold,devil wears prada, senses fail, red jump suit apparuts, funerel for a freind, as cites burn , ateryu, aiden and many more so yeah they is stuill alot of good s**t out there it is just not on the radio.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 11:17 pm

To this thread, I dedicate the song "The Heretic Anthem" by Slipknot.

There are plenty of great artists these days. You just don't know it because the whole point of this commercial music is, well, it's commercial. They just advertise the sh** out of it because the industry knows it is guaranteed to sell. That's why rock is (although standing its ground and not fading out) the underground.

As far as the current decade, there are the true rock bands such as:
Black Stone Cherry (sick modern southern rock, buy their self-titled debut album--it'll rip your face off)
The Answer
Duff McKagan's Loaded (obviously led by GN'R bassist, Duff)
Electric Mary
Priestess
Chickenfoot (bad as all hell supergroup consisting of Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, Joe Satriani and RHCP drummer (forgot his name)
Silvertide
The Trews (cool Canadian folk rock, got a Beatles vibe in there in some songs)
The Vines (although chances are you're gonna know about them already)
Airbourne (very much AC/DC sounding, people either love 'em or diss 'em)
Coheed & Cambria (people tend to liken them to Rush)
Velvet Revolver (supergroup consisting of Slash, Duff and Matt from GN'R and Dave Kusher from Wasted Youth)
Pride Tiger (with insane amounts of Thin Lizzy influence)
I'll also throw in the obvious choices: Wolfmother and Jet.

Some great metal as well:
All That Remains
Skindred (a metal and reggae combo)
Damageplan (featured 1/2 of Pantera)
Theory of Hate (a fairly new band, they're an obscure unsigned band and not well known outside of their hometown. www.myspace.com/theoryofhate and www.myspace.com/theoryofhateak for music.

I'll throw in a few miscellaneous bands that are more alternative rock or simply mainstream type stuff:
Alter Bridge (Creed minus Stapp, but with Myles Kennedy, a fantastic vocalist)
Stone Sour (Slipknot singer Corey Taylor's first band, now reunited and set to begin third album. Also contains Slipknot guitarist Jim Root)
Buckcherry (started out as kickass rock n' roll but as of latest album are quite poppy, though not at all lower in quality)
Shinedown

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2009, 2:14 pm

Seanmw wrote:
Aimless wrote:
racooneyes wrote:

Quote:
How arbitrary is it to just hate everything after a certain cut off date? I'm a big fan of old music but there's some equally amazing music being made today, shame you're all missing out on it.

That's absolutely true but I wonder if they are specifically referring to top 40 pop. I like a lot of today's music, but it's not on the radio.
i agree.
maybe this guy just hates overplayed top 40 pop type.
there's so much good music these days.

modest mouse
silverstein
3Oh!3
the shins
good charlotte
blink182
weezer
three days grace
the postal service
death cab for cutie
demon hunter
say anything
senses fail
onerepublic
nickelback
adam and andrew
kings of leon
brand new
taking back sunday
the black eyed peas
maroon 5
until june
the maine
blue october
the fray
eminem
sufjan stevens
simon & garfunkel (old though i know)
william fitzsimmons
slipknot
korn
mest
bob marley
boys like girls
we the kings
jars of clay
gorillaz
the devil wears prada
moneta
dashboard confessional
hawthorne heights
hot hot heat
the pharmacy
the medic droid
daft punk
gregory and the hawk
jet
owl city
sherwood
chase coy
snow patrol
sublime
bloodhound gang
breaking benjamin
guns n roses
metallica
acdc
iron maiden
the beatles
the eagles
finch
fort minor
grizzly bear
jack johnson
journey
nine days
nirvana
ozzy
papa roach
plain white t's
the posies
pink floyd
queen
the ramones
red hot chili peppers
red jumpsuit apparatus
reel big fish
the scene aesthetic
wolfmother
yelloward
jedi mind tricks
immortal technique

("new") bands I like you mentioned:

Modest Mouse
The Shins
Death Cab for Cutie
Kings of Leon
Sufjan Stevens
Jet
Owl City
(some) Snow Patrol
Grizzly Bear

Yep, there's definitely some good new music out there ;) It's just that most of those bands aren't played on Top 40 stations (and those that are usually seem to be trumped by some crap like Beyonce, Lady Gaga, etc.)

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2009, 3:21 pm

racooneyes wrote:
Personally I hate the overuse of the word hate but you don't see me making threads about it.

Very subtle. Nice work.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 7:37 am

I hate most of the music which is in the Top 100, just because it is nothing new. But I do like some new music: The Headroom Project, Esperanto Desperado, Die Partysahnen and other artists come to mind.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2009, 4:53 am

I am a serious record collector. I have well over 100,000 songs at my disposal, on every form of media from gramophone records to CDs, but I have no mp3s. I am also a musician. I started to lose touch with what was popular in the late 1980s. It's a major sadness in my life that despite having bought thousands and thousands of records because I heard them once and liked them so much I had to go out and buy them, I have not heard a single song that made me want to buy it in over twenty years.

Radio is where I heard the vast majority of the records I own. Now I don't even listen to the radio, even though I work in the field. I already have all the songs they play. I don't want to listen to the same 260 songs over and over. There is so much great music from the past that radio will not play today, even thought it was once very popular and charted high in the Hot 100; even some top five songs are not approved for broadcast now in any format. Radio has been analyzed and focus-grouped to death. All they will play on it is songs that have been scientifically tested to not make people want to change the station. That makes for approved playlists of the most generic, whitebread, non-offensive, boring crap ever recorded.

I have also come to the realization that I have aged out of the demographic. Popular music is not marketed to people my age. I can't relate to the music that is popular now. I have no teenage angst, and I don't come from the ghetto, and I don't want to be assaulted or insulted by music. That's why I have no idea who is famous nowadays... I just don't care. But it's all right, I have more music of the 20th century than could be easily listened to in a lifetime, which I can identify with. Popular music is for young people. I haven't been one of those for a very long time. Now get off my lawn!

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 5:05 am

Todays music is epic!

JVDifferent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2009, 10:23 am

I gave up listening to popular radio stations ages ago.

My music taste is mainly built from the music tastes of my two besties, and my audiophile friend. I tend to like stuff with noisy elements, so Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero was awesome for me. All the glitchy sounds were great. Oh, and Trent's voice too. :D

I'm not picky with the time frame, but most of the stuff I listen to is 1980's-2000's.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 10:32 am

I agree, modern music and pop /rock /'alt' music generally sucks, and has sucked for the 30+ years. The record industry is all about moving derivative, formulaic 'product' to target demographics, because the music industry execs need to have access to their lifestyles of hollywood hills mansions, and helicommuting.

For the real alternative check out stations like this one where most of the music is below the radar of rampant commercial viability, and generally made for the sake of making music.

BTW, to the guy that mentioned Nickelback as a good alternative, you're quite wrong, Nickelback cheezy MI/ MOR product symptomatic of what precisely is wrong with the music industry in general. SHAME!! !!

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 12:46 pm

^Fogman is correct, today's music is all too formulaic. But not all the music scene in the past thirty years is complete trash. There were so many great grundge performers of the ninties that actually could play; for example the Smashing Pumpkins.