Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 12:46 pm

^Fogman is correct, today's music is all too formulaic. But not all the music scene in the past thirty years is complete trash. There were so many great grundge performers of the ninties that actually could play; for example the Smashing Pumpkins.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 1:35 pm

Averick wrote:
^Fogman is correct, today's music is all too formulaic. But not all the music scene in the past thirty years is complete trash. There were so many great grundge performers of the ninties that actually could play; for example the Smashing Pumpkins.

I'll agree partly with your assessment of Smashing Pumpkins as they did do some stuff that wasn't bad at all, however I remember the whole Seattle Sub-Pop scene from before the time that Nirvana made it big. Essentially what happened is that when Nirvana made it big with 'Nevermind', the record industry saw the whole Seattle scene as a big cash cow and started signing every band that they could who could remotely be categorised as 'Grunge'. Hence the signing of novelty bends like Stone Temple Pilots, (Who literally formed as a joke band), as serious musical acts to cash in on the whole 'Seattle Thing', and turning what was a legitimate musical scene into a cheap parody of the whole LA metal scene circa the early to mid 80's.

Agreed, not everything put out by 'The Majors' is trash, but sadly the great majority of it is derivative, uninspired shite churned out for the sole purpose of moving product to a target demographic. --Most of the good music that has been released in the past 30-40 years has been released released in the underground scene.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 3:55 pm

I love todays epic music!

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 6:11 am

Some great albums released this decade:

Dirty Three - Whatever You Love, You Are
Lofty Pillars - Amsterdam
The Microphones - Mount Eerie
Polmo Polpo - Like Hearts Swelling
The Fiery Furnaces - Gallowsbird's Bark
Menomena - I Am the Fun Blame Monster
Colleen - The Golden Morning Breaks
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Wildildlife - Six
Dan Deacon - Bromst

Shastania
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2009, 5:51 pm

Blackball wrote:
Yes, most of the music I listen to ranges from '80s to EARLY 2000s.

Same here, with the exceptions of Lady Gaga, Beyonce and The Lonely Island.
Everything else on my MP3 player is an ecclectic mixture of classic rock from the 70s and early 80's, funk, soul, disco as well as a lot of 90's stuff-mostly grunge, indie and nu-metal.
Personally speaking, it's more a matter of personal taste rather than tarring everyone with the same brush.
To say you hate EVERYTHING this decade has to offer is counter-productive. Some people like one type of music more than another, that's not to say one genre is worse than the other.

Chill out man.

LOL: I'm listening to Ugly Kid Joe's "I Hate Everything About You" as I type this! IRONY!!

mrandysmiley
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2009, 10:29 pm

I certainly hate anything Top-40 from the last fifteen years. But, there has been good music that has been released in the past year. I host a campus radio show where I have to play at least two new songs a show. I have found it to be very easy. Also, 2009 has been the first year in which I have actually gone to the record store on the day an album has come out an bought it. I have probably bought more new music in 2009 than in any other year of my life. So, as you can see there is great new music out there, you just have to look for it. Most commercial radio does not help in that regard.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 11:14 pm

I don't have much problem with a lot of current pop music (electronica-based).

I liked Cascada's new album released earlier this year.