Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Anna4077
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Oct 2009, 5:42 am

Hi guys. Well,I've been in my job just over a year. Got hired when I was still a student. Now I'vejust finished my degree but my salary is still the same as before. Apparently my job always pays the same regardless of the workers qualifications but the job is permanent fulltime. If I want more money I have to apply for a higher level position but these are not permanent (3 month contracts). So what do I do? I like everything else about my job. But the salary sucks. Please help, I really don't know what to do.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 6:14 am

Remember that not everyone has a job. I would inquire about applying for a higher level. After 3 months, what happens? Do you go back to your previous position with less pay? Do they offer the chance to renew the contract for another 3 months?

These are question I think you should find out...

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 8:17 am

You can always ask for a raise based on your job performance.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 9:36 am

zer0netgain wrote:
You can always ask for a raise based on your job performance.

I second that.

I estimate that I've increased my salary about 60% in 10%-20% increments over the years by asking for a raise.

1. Make sure you can justify it well, and ask for a specific amount (don't be greedy).

2. Make sure that your relationship with the decision-maker is good, and they will champion the idea.

3. Be reasonable, but firm in your expectations.

This is what worked for me.

Anna4077
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2009, 3:17 am

It's a government job. I can apply for my pay rate to be upgraded but this is very complicated process and takes month, if not years :cry:
I just want to be paid what I'm worth. I don't think the boss likes me either. I'm not convinced that I'd get a higher level position if I applied for it.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 5:10 am

You don't think so? Try it... Sometimes asking is what will get you somewhere DO IT!! :wink:

DeadFire87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2009, 11:43 am

Its better than my salary. Which is currently $0 which is paid daily. Awesome huh?

utherdoul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2009, 3:39 pm

Anna4077 wrote:
It's a government job. I can apply for my pay rate to be upgraded but this is very complicated process and takes month, if not years :cry:
I just want to be paid what I'm worth. I don't think the boss likes me either. I'm not convinced that I'd get a higher level position if I applied for it.

well you could apply for a job in the private sector :wink:. Its more volatile but if your in the right field raises and opportunities come much more quickly. Of course you can lose quite a bit but that's part of the fun. Government jobs aren't meant to be high paying overall their meant to be stable with benefits and can often be used to land good positions in the private sector. Or you can move up in the ranks but that takes lots of networking and time. Besides that if you feel your pay isn't enough keep in mind that every paycheck you draw comes out of the pockets of people employed outside of the government.

Anna4077
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2009, 8:27 pm

All good responses.
Thanks, guys :)

Phillips
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2009, 11:35 am

i just fade up of salary