Do You Get Told To "Smile" All The Time?

Page 7 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 10:37 pm

I'm very self-conscious about having my picture taken. Most pictures taken of me are unflattering. I think I look too stiff in a lot of my pictures.

Data_1969
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2019, 2:54 am

Everybody used to tell me that, since i have grown a full beard it's a lot less/non existent.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 7:29 am

I don't get told to smile but I guess my face doesn't look mean or anything so no one really notices.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2019, 11:21 am

When I'm comfortable with people, I naturally smile.

I am usually quiet, can come off as serious if you don't know me well but once you get to know me, my sense of humor is a big part of me and I'm known as a hyena in my friend group. If I'm really not comfortable, my face is at it's neutral state/my expression is the opposite of a smile.

At my first job, my job coach was telling me to practice smiling in a mirror and repeatedly hammered in my head, "be friendly!" I know how to smile thank you very much, I even had the nickname picklepuss. :/ When I'm not comfortable in an environment, I naturally don't smile and I have resting female dog face so being told I am doing something wrong only adds to the pressure and stress and makes me smile less. I promise I am not being defiant, just the way I react to that kind of thing.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jul 2019, 8:49 pm

I remember William F. Buckley, Jr. refusing to smile as he made his entrance on the Johnny Carson Show - he didn't smile if nothing was funny. I was so encouraged by that! But I still had to get on the Smile Bandwagon which, to me, worked if I remembered "Expose the teeth!" all the time.

That was especially true when I was working. But now I'm retired and I have no teeth just now. Nobody's asked me to smile in a long time. Now *that's* funny. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 9:53 pm

No, but I think it's because I look like the sort of person who'd flay someone and wear their face if they dared tell me to smile.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 11:38 pm

DemophobicKlingon wrote:

I am usually quiet, can come off as serious if you don't know me well but once you get to know me, my sense of humor is a big part of me and I'm known as a hyena in my friend group. If I'm really not comfortable, my face is at it's neutral state/my expression is the opposite of a smile.

This describes me to a T! I can be quite the jokester when I'm hanging out with my friends, but when I'm in a more uncomfortable / new situation I have the most neutral of neutral expressions.

#palestinianlivesmatter

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2019, 8:00 am

Zakatar wrote:
DemophobicKlingon wrote:

This describes me to a T! I can be quite the jokester when I'm hanging out with my friends, but when I'm in a more uncomfortable / new situation I have the most neutral of neutral expressions.

Yup can relate. Some people have told me I seem like a completely different person when they've seen both of my modes of being.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 12:59 pm

DemophobicKlingon wrote:
Zakatar wrote:
DemophobicKlingon wrote:

Yup can relate. Some people have told me I seem like a completely different person when they've seen both of my modes of being.

Gotta love masking (NOT!)...

#palestinianlivesmatter

Aspi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2020, 1:54 pm

Oof, yes. Yes, I do (the hippies on Haight St., especially)
I reply: "Don't tell me what to do with my face."
I have been given s**t about flat vocal and facial affect my whole life.
Anyone else get told they sound like Ben Stein, or given s**t by strangers after an event because they didn't show enough expression?

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 5:35 pm

^not by strangers that often: but I do get people I know thinking I haven’t enjoyed something I have... and my wife has to ask me to know if I’m happy/content/whatever... but I know I do expressions because I can feel the muscles moving about so it isn’t flat affect.
Apparently I’m “unreadable”.

(My usual criticism of my voice is I sound “posh” and “patronising” :roll: )

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 6:40 pm

Precious lil "people's " statements to me:

"Be happy"
"Smile"
"Why are you smiling?"

Micromanaging control freaks ass holes

Aspi

12 Mar 2020, 6:43 pm

How about when they try to make you smile, like they're reverse-engineering a happy attitude, and you're already fine? This one "friend" tries this gotcha! game, as if he's experimenting on me.
I'm like... Yeah, nothing says "uplifting" like fake.
Micromanaging is right.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 7:19 pm

Preferred reply:

"Smile."
"Give me a reason to."

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 7:30 pm

:lol: YES! Being cheered up when I’m already fine is one of the things that’s guaranteed to annoy me. :lol:

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 9:13 pm

When I was younger ALL THE TIME!!