Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 12:38 am

What about dead parrots?...;)

If you can trust nothing around you, and no proof exists of anything, then the only way you could determine your surroundings would be through faith...;)

ain't that a kick in the haid...;)

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 12:58 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Idols are gods made by men. The flying spaghetti monster was created in 2005 by Bobby Henderson, therefore it is an idol.
An idol has no essence of being. The flying spaghetti monster is an idol. The flying spaghetti monster has no essence of being.

Yeah, using the "flying spaghetti monster" as a justification for the position regarding the existence of God or gods seems lame, rather it seems to just follow a personal intuition and mostly the inclination of recurring to a popular notion created by someone else (not so much of being original) in response to I.D. because it looks attractive as a justification and for mocking, I tend to consider the term to be either meaningless or not enough of a justification, more like an intuitive (an not rarely emotional driven) notion.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 1:05 am

greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Parakeets do not exist. And nobody can prove otherwise.

This is one of the evidence found in Australia few days ago, which actually supports the popular belief of the existence of parakeets.

Poor bird. Is that a model or an actual skeleton?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 1:12 am

greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Idols are gods made by men. The flying spaghetti monster was created in 2005 by Bobby Henderson, therefore it is an idol.
An idol has no essence of being. The flying spaghetti monster is an idol. The flying spaghetti monster has no essence of being.

Yeah, using the "flying spaghetti monster" as a justification for the position regarding the existence of God or gods seems lame, rather it seems to just follow a personal intuition and mostly the inclination of recurring to a popular notion created by someone else (not so much of being original) in response to I.D. because it looks attractive as a justification and for mocking, I tend to consider the term to be either meaningless or not enough of a justification, more like an intuitive (an not rarely emotional driven) notion.

In the end, all such Dawkonian type parodies, whether it's Henderson's FSM or the invisible pink unicorn or the presence of macaroni and cheese being eaten on Mars, it really shows more about how the mocker feels about the subject than anything else. Even with my thread, yes it has philosophical implications, as does saying that I want the space program to gear up and start colonizing other planets, but this thread is not meant as an objective criticism either.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 11:14 am

Henriksson wrote:
There are not many atheists who claim "god(s) do not exist". Atheism, however, is a lack of belief in god(s). This is a pretty reasonable position to take, considering that there is zilch evidence for god(s). Same for Russell's Teacup etcetera.

Not all lacks of beliefs are reasonable, though. Parakeets, for example, have plenty of evidence.

Note that some proposed gods, like the Christian god, is logically contradictory, and we can therefore reasonably claim that this specific god does not exist.

I'd go so far as to argue for the existence of some gods.
The term "gods" is and has been used for a group that may be even more diverse than the group called "animals".
For example, it seems to be a fairly common belief that love is a god, or divine phenomenon.
I may think that divinity is a superfluous concept in general, but if I am to accept divinity, I see no particular reason to deny love divine status.
In fact, "god" has been used by fairly large groups of people to describe many things that I am certain do exist.

Then again, some of those groups and their authorities claim that none of the others' are true gods.
It's all semantics until a particular, preferably well defined god is determined for examination.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 11:57 am

PLA wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
There are not many atheists who claim "god(s) do not exist". Atheism, however, is a lack of belief in god(s). This is a pretty reasonable position to take, considering that there is zilch evidence for god(s). Same for Russell's Teacup etcetera.

Not all lacks of beliefs are reasonable, though. Parakeets, for example, have plenty of evidence.

Note that some proposed gods, like the Christian god, is logically contradictory, and we can therefore reasonably claim that this specific god does not exist.

I'd go so far as to argue for the existence of some gods.
The term "gods" is and has been used for a group that may be even more diverse than the group called "animals".
For example, it seems to be a fairly common belief that love is a god, or divine phenomenon.
I may think that divinity is a superfluous concept in general, but if I am to accept divinity, I see no particular reason to deny love divine status.
In fact, "god" has been used by fairly large groups of people to describe many things that I am certain do exist.

Then again, some of those groups and their authorities claim that none of the others' are true gods.
It's all semantics until a particular, preferably well defined god is determined for examination.

Thank God for theological noncognitivism!

ChrisHitchens
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Nov 2009, 1:43 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
jametto wrote:
Guys, he's mocking the defense mechanism that creationists use.

Not any Creationist that I'd respect would use this. And no, it is specific to trolls, just more trolls are atheists as far as I've seen.

That is, unless you're the actuall troll here.

The god of the old testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction, jealous and proud of it; a petty, unforgiving, unjust control-freak; a vindictive bloodthirst ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, genocidal, meglomaniacal,

ChrisHitchens

01 Nov 2009, 1:52 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
To be specific, the premises are off. The Ashtoreth poles were commonly erected along with statues of one of the Ba'als.

So what? this just goes further to prove my point that the book you call the bible is a plagerism of Cannanite mythology, Ba'al was a god that was worshiped by the Jews untill there was a religious war to eliminate his followers. This desctuction of the Jewish worshipers of Ba'al is doccumented in the bible.

Quote:
Also, even if an artifact were to specifically have the name of God along with Ashtoreth, such an artifact would most likely have been formed in the northern kingdom of Israel, since they were generally more carefree when it came to serving God, or it could be from the southern kingdom of Judah, possibly made during one of the many lapses into polytheism.

That covers almost all of the Hebrew people. Every time you post something accurate, it points towards the mythological origins of the bible.

The god of the old testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction, jealous and proud of it; a petty, unforgiving, unjust control-freak; a vindictive bloodthirst ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, genocidal, meglomaniacal,

ChrisHitchens

01 Nov 2009, 1:58 pm

greenblue wrote:

You are very adept at talking without saying a damn thing.

You're dismissing a reductio ad absurdum argument without giving any clear reason why.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 2:00 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Karl Popper's definition of science on the basis of falsifiability is one of many. However, I will not believe in the existence of a parakeet unless one knocks on my door and brings my dad back from the dead. I'm so angry at parakeets and angry at the world. HUMPH!

Falsifiability as described by Karl Popper is not the only criterion for a theory to be considered scientific. However, it is widely accepted as a crucial feature for any scientific theory to be considered valid. Let me also respond to another statement you made in response to another poster.

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
That's not what I'm referring to, but more of the type of "no TRUE scientist believes in a literal creation" or "no TRUE Christian watches Family Guy".

There is no controversy about evolution or big bang cosmology verses intelligent design or creation in the academic community. All the evidence stands pretty much against a literal interpretation of genesis. What makes you think that everyone who does not believe in a literal interpretation of creation is an atheist anyway?

ChrisHitchens

01 Nov 2009, 2:23 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
In the end, all such Dawkonian type parodies, whether it's Henderson's FSM or the invisible pink unicorn or the presence of macaroni and cheese being eaten on Mars, it really shows more about how the mocker feels about the subject than anything else.

You're projecting your projection onto others, but in the end, you're the only one projecting here.

FSM isn't mockery, it's reductio ad absurdum. It contains all of the same basic elements as any other religion. Creation mythology, an anthropromorphic god being, a chosen people, rituals, rules, religious holidays and even schisms (Reform Church of Alfredo Sauce).

It appears as mockery to you, because when you strip religion of its supposed authority, it looks ridiculous to the outside observer. That's because every religion is ridiculous. That's why religion is force-fed to children and other psychologically vulnerable people.

To illustrate the point, think about this question. If I was to tell you that Christianity is wrong but Hinduism is right, and you looked into Hindu beleifs, wouldn't you consider Hindu gods to be ridiculous??

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 3:15 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Gromit wrote:
YOU can go and check whether parakeets exist. You don't have to rely on other people's testimony. You can use the methods you use to check whether other things exist whose existence you accept. Can I use those same methods to check whether a god exists? If I can't, how is your argument about parakeets relevant to your complaint about militant atheists?

Well, perhaps it is a hallucination on my part, or sleep paralysis, perhaps a rotten potato I ate without knowing when I was 3, there MUST be a logical explanation for an experience with a non-existent entity.

You could claim that, but it still misses the point. Take something that you believe exists. Your computer, perhaps. What persuades you that it exists? How would you persuade me that it exists? Can you apply the same criteria to decide whether a god exists?

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Actually, I could be more considered "monotheistic" than "mostly atheist", of which I suppose you could say the same of any Christian or religious Jew, or even Muslim.

I do say that even of polytheists if I want to highlight the question whether they apply the same standards when deciding on the existence of the gods they believe in and when they decide on the existence of the gods they don't believe in. Even Hindus, who have lots of gods, don't believe in even more other gods. I have yet to hear of someone who believes in the majority of gods whose existence has ever been postulated. If we quantify degree of atheism by the average strength of denial of the existence of all the gods that people have believed in, you may be more atheist than I am. As far as I know you are certain that only the Christian God exists, and categorically deny the existence of all the others. I only say I find it improbable that any god exists and see no merit in adding any of these hypotheses to my limited attempts to understand the universe.

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Gromit wrote:
If you want to argue that disputing the existence of your god is silly because you think the same arguments would dispute the existence of parakeets, how can you avoid accepting the existence not only of your god but also all others?

Because he seems most likely to me, and I'm leaving it at that.

I hope you understand that this lack of information does not persuade me that you do apply consistent criteria.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 4:06 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Thank God for theological noncognitivism!

I thank you for adding to my vocabulary. :)

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 6:01 pm

ChrisHitchens wrote:
FSM isn't mockery, it's reductio ad absurdum. It contains all of the same basic elements as any other religion. Creation mythology, an anthropromorphic god being, a chosen people, rituals, rules, religious holidays and even schisms (Reform Church of Alfredo Sauce).

It appears as mockery to you, because when you strip religion of its supposed authority, it looks ridiculous to the outside observer. That's because every religion is ridiculous. That's why religion is force-fed to children and other psychologically vulnerable people.

To illustrate the point, think about this question. If I was to tell you that Christianity is wrong but Hinduism is right, and you looked into Hindu beleifs, wouldn't you consider Hindu gods to be ridiculous??

No, I wouldn't consider FSM to be a reductio ad absurdum to religion itself. At best, it is a reductio ad absurdum towards some attempts to create a natural theology because even the flying spaghetti monster could fulfill many of the requirements of these natural theologies. After all, it emerged as a result of the ID controversy.

Well, no, FSM *IS* mockery. I mean, nobody could reasonably say that FSM lacks a mocking component, and frankly, I think most would agree that mockery is the dominant foundation of FSM rather than honest belief or thinking the idea is true. I also wouldn't say that every religion is ridiculous. Most theologies to a certain extent bring religion to a rationality, seriousness and intelligibility. Does this mean that theologies are correct, or even necessarily great? No, but it is hard to deny that there are a lot of philosophical theologies out there.

I consider a lot of things ridiculous, however, a number of noted people have considered the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads to be deeply profound. Philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer is particularly notable for the amount of praise he placed upon the Upanishads.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 6:32 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Actually, reducio ad absurdum isn't what I'm going for, and I think you miscomprehended that because I view the burden of proof rhetoric as an excuse. Reducio ad absurbum, otherwise known as modus tollens or denying the consequent is the deductive method of demonstrating that the antecedent must be false if the consequent is denied. Oh, and welcome to Wrong Planet, be certain of yourself that flaming will get you far.

Squawk topic

The only thing I am aware of to some extent is that Iamnotaparakeet is not a parakeet, by his own admission, and that to my own knowledge parakeets cannot chat as humans do, in a text format.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 7:18 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Actually, I could be more considered "monotheistic" than "mostly atheist", of which I suppose you could say the same of any Christian or religious Jew, or even Muslim. Can I refute all of them? No, I am not an authority and neither am I corporeally immoral so as to have all the time in the existence of the universe to refute every argument that may be made.

There is an interesting point connected with this, but before I get to it I need to know whether the propositions below are essential to your variant of the Christian faith.

1. The Christian faith (perhaps only your variant) is the only true faith. I don't remember the exact wording, but I'm sure Jesus is quoted as saying that the only way to salvation is through Him.

2a. God is just.

2b. God is merciful.