Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What is/was your experience with sports?
I was/am very good at sports 8%  8%  [ 11 ]
I was quite good at sports 15%  15%  [ 21 ]
I did sports at but not very well 17%  17%  [ 24 ]
I really sucked at sports 39%  39%  [ 56 ]
I was a sports 'refuser' at school 15%  15%  [ 22 ]
I had a medical exemption from sports 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
What does sports mean? 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 142

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 2:13 pm

I was quite good at sports from a young age and exercise remains an important part of my life.

I sucked at team sports except rowing but since I was sitting at the front of the crew, it always felt like an individual sport to me.

How about you?

What is your experience with sports?

WritersBlock
Raven
Raven

30 Oct 2009, 3:59 pm

Not unless building with Legos can be considered a "sport".
I don't have a competitive cell in my body.

shadfly
Raven
Raven

30 Oct 2009, 4:18 pm

YES: running, skiing, golf, skating, bicycle, solo canoe

NO: team sports, not clumsy but don't synchronize well

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 4:33 pm

I'm fine with sports when I'm doing it by myself, like running or weight training. I always sucked at team sports like basketball, soccer, football, baseball, hockey, etc. and always avoided them whenever I could.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 5:33 pm

I'm not very good at sports. I actually enjoy team sports, and played some IM sports in college. But I'm not competitive at all and only want to play for fun and to get exercise. I played soccer, flag football, track (shotput) and bowling. The only thing I might be better than average at is roller skating.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 5:53 pm

Aside from the inability to participate in a team, I am rather physically challenged :lol: I apparently have some sort of ridiculously slow reaction time/processing delay because I literally cannot see objects that move too fast. Which, unfortunately, can include sports balls. Me attempting to play sports is like:

Person: "Here! Catch!"

*thwack.. ball hits me and bounces off*

Me: ".... what?"

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 6:02 pm

Sports to me are just incredibly boring. There's sooo many things I could better spend time on. I do find Kendo and martial arts interesting though. I used to swordplay when younger and wanted to take classes besides just self-teaching but there were none in my area.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 6:09 pm

No. My coordination is bad, and my left hand and foot don't want to do what my brain wants them to do.

I remember a few times being asked when I was younger why I didn't like playing sports and I would say "It's like the left side of my body is ret*d."

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 6:21 pm

I was forced to join little league to get me out of my shell/ and outside the house and played the outfield.
I was quick ;made some good plays; could throw about 200 ft at this age(10-12).
We won the pennant my first year and world series the third year and it was fun.
I was in my own element out there so there wasn't much " synchronization required" as above poster mentioned .

In gym though I sucked, and couldn't play basketball or any team effort ^ as I couldn't multi process this game or the like .... too fast for my one dimensional c.p.u. ........ was somewhat teased/ridiculed....with some unpleasant memories here.

I was decent at swimming and now I lift weights on and off and once got up 270 on the bench press but lost interest and never got to the 300 mark.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 9:51 pm

I interpreted the question to mean ball sports. At which I was invariably awful.

However, in other sports (e.g. curling, fencing, track & field) I had better performance.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Oct 2009, 9:52 pm

I am good at swimming but not competitive or team swimming. I love the freedom and the way my body feels in the water. I like to bowl and I don't mind the team aspect of that sport because even though it's competitive, the bowlers are civilized. I didn't play any sports in school and dreaded gym class. I especially hated Dodge Ball. It seemed cruel to try and hit people with that large ball, and trying to dodge it caused so much anxiety.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 2:05 pm

I was good at very specific parts of sports. All of the following examples are from when I was young, I haven't played sports since grade 9.

Soccer: I had a very powerful kick so they had me on defense and I would kick the ball back to the other end of the field with great force.

Volleyball: I was amazing at serving the ball in a way that the other team could not return the ball. I was at one tournament where our coach offered us a free pizza for every time we got points on all our serves in a row. I got 5 pizzas by the end of the day.

Baseball: Again it was power here, I usually hit the ball way far out into the field, though slow running meant I couldn't get very far on the bases.

Basketball: I was pretty terrible at this game, I sprained all my fingers at one point or another, which screwed up my volleyball playing :(

Rugby: Could never quite grasp the rules, I usually found some clever excuse to sit out or just plain skip gym class on rugby days.

Ice Skating: I was a good skater, quite fast once I got going. Never tried hockey.

Swimming: Not a great swimmer but can keep afloat.

Frisbee Golf: Was decent, I'm a good frisbee thrower due to lots of practice with my dog.

Gymnastics: Recently found and watched a video of one of our performances. I was always to the side of the group, and seemed pretty uncoordinated in general. I loved it though. I was really young but I think I remember having fun.

At my elementary school we used to have Olympics days in gym class. I was surprisingly awesome at high jump despite being really overweight. Terrible at running, long jump, and triple jump. Good at shotput, not so good at javelin throwing.

I miss some sports sometimes but, like everything else in my life, I quit them all a long time ago. Some quickly, some after many years playing. I'd still like to try tennis, squash, and rowing sometime. As well as some extreme sports like rock climbing and skydiving. And scuba diving if that counts as a sport.

HarryHaller
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2009, 2:14 pm

Second Grade: Coach Pitch Baseball. I remember my mom telling my psychiatrist (which really angered me at the time) that it was hell for me. Quite the contrary, it was therapeutic in a way. I never made a home run but what I did achieve was a bit of a self-esteem.

Third Grade: Soccer. Same deal, only I really liked this better than Baseball.

Onward I got really bad at sports due to a long hiatus, but during my senior year my coordination got a lot better, I think because I had my own video game system that helped with my motor skills. Sports was never hell, it was no different than running up a big hill.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 3:49 pm

Iam quite good at sports as i enjoy watchin them and playin them i would say cricket is one of my favorite and i enjoy being part of a team as i feel good about myself. :D

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 4:24 pm

I had no interest in sports until my teens years. I enjoy watching sports on TV and I'm very knowledgeable about the teams I follow but I never played any.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 4:35 pm

I'm not good at most sports, especially football (soccer) and rugby. Because of that I didn't really enjoy playing sports. Although I'm okay at Basketball and I'm good at Boccia. :)

SpongeBobRocksMao!