Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Seanybaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2006, 9:54 pm

Computers hooked up to wireless routers are like dial up all over again. Broadband cables hook up a router, yes, but you have to deal with low bandwidth depending on your computer's location. A microwave stands between the router and my usb adaptor, for instance, and my parents insist that there's no interference even when it works. They ever bother reading the dang manual????

So yes, it feels like dial up all over again. No matter how much you upgrade it all depends on the location, and at certain points my computer just gives up if it isn't able to establish a connection.

alex
Developer
Developer

12 Feb 2006, 10:16 pm

sounds like you need a new WAP or wireless card.

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 4:14 am

Seanybaby wrote:
A microwave stands between the router and my usb adaptor, for instance, and my parents insist that there's no interference even when it works.
Well true, my wirless cuts out every time I turn my fan on, and at random occassions when people go out the front door. :roll: Actually there's a microwave between me and the router as well... but it still manages to get a strong connection all of the time; apart from the random drop outs.

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2006, 6:43 am

Try moving the router around and repositioning the antenna. I've seen a few inches of movement make the difference between a poor and excellent signal.

Also, make sure the firmware is updated. A friend of mine has a wireless Belkin router, and it would drop out every 15 mins or so. I updated the firmware, and it solved the problem.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2006, 4:52 pm

I have wireless here, the access point is in my bedroom (it's also the dsl router and 4 port switching hub with my main desktop, my server, and my guest computer connected to it), and the computer with the wireless network adaptor is in the dining room, which is at the opposite side of the house so therefor signal strength is reduced to around 63%, though if anyone stands in the way of the wireless network adaptor the signal drops further though i find no reduction in speed, regardless of the distance the signal has to travel and the amount of walls in the way, which is one or two, depending on which way the signal goes. sometimes moving the usb adaptor makes a difference

I've never needed to upgrade the firmware in the router, and it has never dropped the signal for any reason (it's a D-Link one, in case you are interested), so I would recommend it to anyone setting up a wireless network

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Seanybaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Feb 2006, 10:59 pm

Pikachu wrote:
I have wireless here, the access point is in my bedroom (it's also the dsl router and 4 port switching hub with my main desktop, my server, and my guest computer connected to it), and the computer with the wireless network adaptor is in the dining room, which is at the opposite side of the house so therefor signal strength is reduced to around 63%, though if anyone stands in the way of the wireless network adaptor the signal drops further though i find no reduction in speed, regardless of the distance the signal has to travel and the amount of walls in the way, which is one or two, depending on which way the signal goes. sometimes moving the usb adaptor makes a difference

I've never needed to upgrade the firmware in the router, and it has never dropped the signal for any reason (it's a D-Link one, in case you are interested), so I would recommend it to anyone setting up a wireless network

That's funny, actually. My USB's a Belkin. It works great, except with the whole microwave thing.....xp