Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

HarryHaller
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2009, 5:33 pm

Today I have started drinking Yerba Mate to treat my depression. I don't feel depressed anymore after taking it. I remembered that I always felt good whenever I drank that stuff. Have any of you people tried this stuff before? It has a lot of caffeine and tons of anti-oxdidants, but somewhere I read that it can help with nervous depression. I am curious how it keeps my spirits up. So far I haven't found anything online about the benefits of taking it if you have Asperger's, do you know? I always drank this stuff to get my spirits high enough to write or draw something amazing, and it always worked.
Taking Yerba Mate has become a good alternative than taking my antidepressant. I am using this as an alternative because I may have to wait a long time before I get my insurance card, plus I have been experimenting with natural medications, like taking Vivarin 200mg as an alternative to Vyvanse 75mg.
Now all I need to do is find a natural substitute for Risperidal, do you have any ideas?

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 7:40 pm

I like caffeine, too. It makes headaches go away and I can sustain a higher thermal output for a longer time when I exercise after drinking some caffeine. It's good stuff, but I can turn into quite the raving demon if I have too much of it! I consider it to be a functioning extender.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

BarkAtTheSun
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Nov 2009, 8:31 pm

Yerba mate is great stuff.
However, I'd suggest you have to be careful what time you drink it, especially if you are depressed, because it can keep you awake for hours. My mum had a rule never to drink it after 6pm. Also, if you drink it the South American way, it can affect your digestive system if you're not used to it. The best thing is if you know other people who would like to drink it with you, get together and share it. that's the way it's done in South America. Great ritual.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 11:05 pm

mate is awesome stuff. after about 30 uses or so my bombilla is starting to taste good. never tried the teabags but i have heard they are crap. never really thought of it as an anti depressant but it makes sense.

HarryHaller
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2009, 3:15 am

BarkAtTheSun wrote:
Yerba mate is great stuff.
However, I'd suggest you have to be careful what time you drink it, especially if you are depressed, because it can keep you awake for hours. My mum had a rule never to drink it after 6pm. Also, if you drink it the South American way, it can affect your digestive system if you're not used to it. The best thing is if you know other people who would like to drink it with you, get together and share it. that's the way it's done in South America. Great ritual.

I did drink it the south american way, but now my gourd has holes in it from whenever I tried to wash it in the dishwasher. oops. Now I just drink it with a loose tea container.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 6:36 am

Caffeine? Caffeine!! !

If there's anything I like more than cat's anus it's got to be caffeine!! ! :D

Where might one purchase this wondrous caffeinated elixir?

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 7:06 am

I love yerba mate. I make it in a French press. I think I'll go have some right now, actually. :)

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2009, 10:45 am

Yerba mate is my country's national drink. We drink it everywhere and all the time. Especially old people, because they have the time to sit for hours sipping it slowly. All I ever heard it affects is blood pressure and intenstine activity. Nothing about depression. If you feel better drinking it, chances are your depression might be caused partly by low blood pressure. Not sure, just a thought.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2009, 11:32 am

I like it too. Quite good with honey.

I've heard that Mate has all the stimulant effects of caffeine without the jitters and nervousness that some people can get with coffee or tea. I have personally found this to be true. Too much coffee or tea greatly amplifies my ordinary current of anxiety. Mate doesn't seem to. It's just a nice gentle lift. 8)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2009, 11:37 am

I know I feel better when I drink coffee--less anxious, more in control, better able to organize, a lot less scattered. This is what happens with a moderate amount, mind you; I get the jitters same as anyone when I get too much.

If you have a problem that caffeine is solving for you, you may easily get less depressed, especially if yours is in the significant minority of cases that is responsive to circumstances. Or it could just be that drinking caffeine helps your stress level, like it does mine. It might be a bit of a paradoxical reaction, because many people feel more jittery; but with my ADHD traits, I figure it acts a lot like a mild form of Ritalin and helps me cope better in general. Then, of course, there's the powerful placebo effect, which I get from coffee just because it tastes good and reminds me of good things--not something to ignore. "Just the placebo effect" is quite a nonsensical phrase--if you get a strong placebo effect from something, take advantage!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2009, 8:49 am

Love mate, especially with stevia.

INTJ.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 9:41 am

LinnaeusCat wrote:
Love mate, especially with stevia.

Right on. I use Sun Crystals. I wish someone would market Xylitol as an alternative sugar.