Was there a magical year of your childhood?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Nov 2009, 5:07 pm

MONKEY---That is a great thing to have a balance between friends and alone time. Music seems to be a center of many of our magical times of childhood. I am happy you found good times.

TallyMan---Well, tell us about those nine months before you were born 8O .

Sartresue---Yes, reading and imagination, very important I believe. Being able to shut out those "nastier parts of life" would be a good thing. Many of my childhood interests remained with me too. That's wonderful.

CockneyRebel---1983 was a good year for me too, I graduated from high school. In your case of no longer having accidents---a very good thing too. I am glad you have a magical year too.

Eggman---well, perhaps you will think of something.

TuDoDude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2009, 10:10 pm

Indeed, indeed.

TallyMan wrote:
My favourite time was the nine months before I was born... It's been all downhill since. :wink:

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 10:50 pm

lithium73 wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:
magic doesn't exist.

prove it

Nice try.

Existence must be proven. Non-existence is assumed if there's lack of existential evidence.

My magical year was probably summer of 1991. T'was a summer between 11th and 12th grade. My family was out all summer in their cabin outside of town. I was left alone at home. Did I mention that was also the time I got my first PC? I coded in C and Pascal under DOS 3.3 and Windows 3.0 all day, and watched MTV, Miami Vice, Crime Story, Moonlighting, Midnight Caller in the evenings. Man that summer was bliss. I also recall reading Caine Mutiny that summer. Good book.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Nov 2009, 10:54 pm

Dilbert---That does sound magical indeed for you. I will give my age away here, but my first computer was a Texas Instruments 99 4A (I think that was the model number). It came out in the early 1980s I think. It was really advanced---it had 16k memory.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 11:02 pm

Dilbert wrote:
My magical year was probably summer of 1991.......watched Midnight Caller in the evenings. Man that summer was bliss. I.

YES :D

I loved watching Jack Killian (played by Gary Cole). I tried not to miss an episode.

Gary Cole appeared in 'Mozart and the Whale' as 'Donald Morton's' boss as the Director of Administrative services.

I thought his part in 'Mozart' was beautifully written, very well cast and played with a lot of sensitivity.

Thanks for reminding me about Jack Killian :D

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 11:10 pm

glider18 wrote:
Dilbert---That does sound magical indeed for you. I will give my age away here, but my first computer was a Texas Instruments 99 4A (I think that was the model number). It came out in the early 1980s I think. It was really advanced---it had 16k memory.

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum circa 1983 or 1984. Then a Commodore 64, then an Amiga 500. I mostly played games on them, and wrote simple programs. My first exposure to a serious computer was in school in 1988 when I got to work on an original PC with dual 5.25 inch floppy drives and no HD. I got my first serious computer, a PC, in the summer of 1991. :) It had a 20 MB (yeah megabytes) hard drive and a turbo button that pushed it to whooping 8 MHz (megahertz). Those were the days... :D

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 11:13 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
My magical year was probably summer of 1991.......watched Midnight Caller in the evenings. Man that summer was bliss. I.

YES :D

I loved watching Jack Killian (played by Gary Cole). I tried not to miss an episode.

Gary Cole appeared in 'Mozart and the Whale' as 'Donald Morton's' boss as the Director of Administrative services.

I thought his part in 'Mozart' was beautifully written, very well cast and played with a lot of sensitivity.

Thanks for reminding me about Jack Killian :D

Good night America, wherever you are!

Midnight Caller was great. But I was a HUGE Miami Vice fan! 8)

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 11:24 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Good night America, wherever you are! Midnight Caller was great. But I was a HUGE Miami Vice fan! 8)

I was LIVING in Southern Florida when Miami Vice first aired. It was like our local soap opera. Those Italian suits were really something.

One of my best friends (and plenty of other people I knew) in Florida was in recovery and he would often mention that Don Johnson was the AA 'poster boy'

He gave me a copy of 'Stools and Bottles' to read and I remember mentioning that perhaps I was a 'dry drunk'.

He recommended a lot of inspirational/self help/personal growth books to me, not least 'Illusions' by Richard Bach and of course 'The Road Less Travelled'.

I suppose that was a magical time for me so thanks for mentioning it and repeating it so that I would actually notice it (well I do have AS).

Now that I think of it, that was probably the beginning of my very slow awakening.

And it only took another 25 years to wake up :wink: :jester:

This is a great thread Glider, thanks :D

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2009, 3:11 am

I think as far as I can remember my unchildhood has been far more magical

danace2000
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Nov 2009, 4:45 am

I was 10 and I recieved my 1st computer a C64.

Magic = illusion or unkown/known physics