Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Are you a confident person?
Yes, I love myself! 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Some days yes, some days no 48%  48%  [ 29 ]
I'm considered over confident. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I'm way too self conscious. 23%  23%  [ 14 ]
I don't think I can answer this question, because I'm afraid I'll get it wrong.... 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 61

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 11:49 am

yes

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 12:56 pm

:| I just used my dictionary to see what the word 'confidence' meant. I don't have much of that.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 2:49 pm

b9 wrote:
dustintorch wrote:
]
First you said that you have no idea how you are perceived, then you described a few occassions where you thought you were perceived as arrogant.

i have no idea of peoples perceptions of me unless they tell me. it is correct that i have no idea of how i am perceived, but when you say i "thought" i was perceived as arrogant, i must remind you that i am told that i am arrogant by other people, so that is why i found it out. left to my own mindset, i would never know.

dustintorch wrote:
So sometimes you know how people see you and you can come across as arrogant. So can I.

i can not adequately understand that. do you mean you also "see how i come across as arrogant ?" , or do you have people who see you as arrogant in the same way as i have people who see me as arrogant?

i only "know" they see me as arrogant because they say i am arrogant.

dustintorch wrote:
If I can give you some advice (whether you want it or not)

you could not advise me if i do not want advice, but i do want to hear it.

dustintorch wrote:
If you know you're offending people by refusing to walk around them, then stop.
Unless you like hearing snide remarks as you barge through people.

i do stop. i wait for ages for them to disperse. sometimes i wait for almost 60 seconds.
i do not give a damn about their utterances if i push through.
their displeasure remains in their heads and can not follow me as i walk away.
peoples negative ideas about me remind me of hyenas in a pit all trying to jump up and bite my throat, but they can not get out of their enclosure to hurt me. i feel unconcerned as i head away from their pit.
dustintorch wrote:
You said you just can't imagine walking around someone or deviating from your chosen path.

no i said i can not imagine it well
dustintorch wrote:
I think if that were totally true, you wouldn't have any idea that that's what you were doing. You seem to be aware of it

yes because i replay scenarios in my mind later on, and i see then how i acted.

i can not imagine easily a path around a thrombosis of people, but i can imagine it with effort.
i am cranky that i have to expend the effort in recalculating my path, and on many days i refuse to do so.
i have unresolved ODD as well, and i may recalculate my intended walking path a few times at different locations of "people obstructions" before i refuse to do it again.
i become impatient that there are so many people in the world and they all get in my way.

it is like trying to walk up your street to go to a shop, and encountering a barricade ( a fenced off meeting for example) that forces you to think of alternate routes which require you to go back and select another set of streets to walk on which is a much longer route to get to the shops.

i will do it, but if i encounter another barricade on that alternative route, i will barge through it.

everywhere i go, there are always people in my way and i wish they were not there.
i do not realize rapidly that people are not going to move so i will wait for them to move for about 45 seconds until i say "for christ's sake" and navigate with much effort around them.

those that do move, i walk through, and i do not look back, but i do not say "for christ's sake " at them, which is their reward as far as i am concerned.

dustintorch wrote:
but I think because of :idea: over confidence you refuse to try to change.

i am not "over confident". i am just wanting to get my chore of walking to where i want to go done without impedance.

dustintorch wrote:
I know change can be hard for us though. It all depends on what is more important to you...resistance to change, or getting along with fellow humans. :) just a thought.

i do not care what people are thinking when they are in their little groups chatting away.
i do not need to know them and they should step aside and let me pass by.

Ok so I misunderstood. You have no idea how you are percieved unless people tell you. I can relate to that. But, people tell you that you are arrogant. So this gives you an idea of people's perception.

I'm a little jealous that you really don't care at all, when people tell you that. Whenever I was told that, it would cause me a lot of stress. I didn't want to be thought of that way so I did everything I could to be thought of differently. If it doesn't cause you stress and you have no intention of getting along better with people, then I guess this conversation is over because I don't know what to say. I care too much what people think of me so I can't really relate to that. Can I just ask you why you feel the need to say, "for christ's sake." instead of, "excuse me?"

chelischili7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Nov 2009, 4:43 pm

It truly depends on the situation and my mood. I had someone ask me once, "why do you think you are better than everyone else?" In my mind, the question shocked me because I feel the exact opposite. I have a complete lack of self-confidence if we are talking about a subject I do not know very well, or if I am out in public where I must interact with others.

Outside of that, if we are talking about sports, meteorology, astronomy, history, art, architecture or politics, I am probably overconfident because I feel I have to "one-up" the other individual.

ImNotOk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2009, 9:23 pm

I tend to be my own worse enemy. When I know someone or when I am talking about a topic I love and have studied I come with few inhibitions, but when I feel uncomfortable, out numbered, or out of my element in any way I come off as weak and passive. When it comes to self image I lack confidence in masses.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 9:44 pm

I'm considered over confident. Only because of how insecure I am though. I mask my insecurity with an extremely over confident attitude and alienate everyone around me.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 10:46 pm

b9 wrote:
Quote:
Are you a confident person?

i am not sure i understand the concept of "confident".
i must be sure of a definition before i will subscribe to it.
i know that "confident" is defined as "assured" and "certain", but i can not see how that meaning is correct.

Main Entry: con·fi·dent
Pronunciation: \ˈkän-fə-dənt, -ˌdent\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin confident-, confidens, from present participle of confidere
Date: circa 1567

1 : full of conviction : certain <confident of success> <confident that conditions will improve>
2 : having or showing assurance and self-reliance <a confident young businessman> <a confident manner>
3 obsolete : trustful, confiding

— con·fi·dent·ly adverb

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 12:49 am

I'm getting more confident every day. I'm realizing that I've been this way for ever, and that I can't change. Most days, though, I don't want to.

beejay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2009, 12:53 am

It's weird for me; I usually feel like the smartest person in the room, but I have an terrible inferiority complex.

My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 6:47 am

A counsellor once remarked that I was quite paradoxical when it came to confidence - one minute I'd seem like I knew much better than anybody else how to go about this or that, the next minute it would be like I didn't think I knew anything, but I never seemed to be in the middle. :?

One thing that makes me become very confident is when I see somebody else trying to do whatever it is, and I can see they're making mistakes that I wouldn't make....I get a strong urge to wade in, push them to one side, and show them how it's done by somebody who knows what they're doing. It's as if my confidence grows whenever I notice that the competition is weak.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 8:34 am

dustintorch wrote:
Ok so I misunderstood. You have no idea how you are percieved unless people tell you. I can relate to that. But, people tell you that you are arrogant. So this gives you an idea of people's perception.

yes well i did not have the inclination to write an agonizingly detailed post that perfectly contextualizes all the minutiae pertinent to the general claim i made.

i am not aware at the time of my actions (associated with general public integration (like walking in a supermarket)) that anyone is even conscious of me. i devote no thought to what is happening other than the progress of my agenda (eg: get meat for kookaburras and chicken schnitzels for me and muesli for the possums...etc).
people are obstacles like "thinking portable bollards" to me. i do not feel anything other than hindrance when i encounter them.

however, i am not mentally ret*d and i can assess that someone who tells me i am arrogant is far more attuned to social reality than me, so i accept their description because i trust they are correct since i am blind in that area.

it is like a blind person trusts that his guide is not lying when the guide says "we are passing in front of a palm tree now".

i am intelligent enough to perceive what people (who i know) are trying to tell me, and i can process it adequately.

it is just that i do not really care.
i do not feel like i am the same species as they are even though i am.

an example: someone has a mild interest in giraffes and goes to the zoo to try and befriend some giraffes there. the giraffes are not able to be befriended and they are unappealing because they act in a way that the person did not imagine.
the person decides to just go home and they forget about the giraffes and there is no "injury to their soul" by having not been able to connect with giraffes.
ever after that, whenever that person encounters a giraffe, they ignore it and if the giraffe is blocking the road, they may beep their horn and say "come on!! ! come on!! ! get out of the way!! !"
then when the giraffe wanders out of the way they say "thank god!" and accelerate with impatience away.
that is what i am like with humans. sorry i know that portrays me as a low minded person but that is what i am.

dustintorch wrote:
I'm a little jealous that you really don't care at all, when people tell you that. Whenever I was told that, it would cause me a lot of stress. I didn't want to be thought of that way so I did everything I could to be thought of differently.

you must care about them more than i do. i would not get my neck stretched and mottled giraffe tattoos on my body in order to please a giraffe.

i have no interest in what people think of me because their thoughts are feeble electrical impulses that can not effect any real consequence to me.

if i am unaware that someone thinks i am like "scum", then i feel nothing, so their thoughts do not affect me. so therefore if i am aware they think i am like scum, then i realize that as soon as i turn my back on them and walk off, their thoughts remain where they are standing, and inside their heads.
my head is off to the carpark and my mind is on what i intend to do when i get home.

dustintorch wrote:
If it doesn't cause you stress and you have no intention of getting along better with people, then I guess this conversation is over because I don't know what to say. I care too much what people think of me so I can't really relate to that. Can I just ask you why you feel the need to say, "for christ's sake." instead of, "excuse me?"

i say whatever comes into my head in exasperation if i have to force my through an obstinate crowd of "chatterers".

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 12:47 pm

Ok, I see...well I want to say one thing though. One visit to the zoo isn't enough to connect with a giraffe, who you've never met before. You would have to go several times until the giraffe got used to you and trusted you. You would learn more about the giraffe and the giraffe would learn more about you. Eventually, you would start to feel a bond with him/her and realize it is possible to connect with giraffes. Then if you saw giraffes in the middle of the road, instead of being annoyed by these obstacles, you might look at them differently. Maybe the giraffes in the road are confused. Maybe they're looking for food. You would have a better chance of figuring it out, if you spent more time with them. Then you might be less stressed out by all the giraffes in your way. That's just another thought.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 3:43 pm

I feel somewhat confident though, there have been times I've felt utterly incapable..Yes, this can be very uneasy yet, many a day I've spent often trying to see how to make things work for me in my life wherein, it has lead to good outcomes but, there has been negative turnouts too..Still, I try to keep to myself the notion I'm able to do things if I don't give up overall...