Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 8:24 pm

Does anyone else here like Manga, and if so, can you recommend some for me to read?
I am an adult, so anything too teenaged and romantic isn't really my style. I got one of the vampire knight ones, and also an interesting one called 'With the light-raising an autistic child' that comes in 5 parts, I believe.
But there is just so much Manga out there, I don't know what else to try.

I like dark things, especially vampires. I like futuristic, I like mentor stuff, but I hate the sort of school style romantic stuff I see in some of the Manga books.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 2:30 am

yes, full metal alchemst

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 6:22 am

Hellsing is dark, has lots of vampires, is very cool and very ridiculous. And comedy translation and a sleazy author. ^^

The year is still young.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 6:59 am

I like Korean artists like Min-woo Hyung because they have much more energy in their action scenes due to using straight lines all the time.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 1:38 pm

Gantz
Air Gear
Parasyte
Hentai Manga
and mostly all of Shintaro Kago's guro mangas

go here: (link)
One Manga - Home of Manga

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 5:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I shall be raiding the bookstore when I get back home.
I can see this becoming a new obsession.

silvskaterdude
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2009, 11:41 am

it rocks.one piece, shaman king, death note, inuyahsa, fullmetal allaciamsit, bleach, claymore.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 2:56 pm

Monster is great! So is Black Jack.

Volume 1 of Planetes is fantastic! Unfortunately the rest of the series is just pretty good.

I watched the anime version of Bleach, the pacing was slllloooooowwwww. Took for frickin' ever for anything to happen. But that might just be a problem with the anime & not the manga.

I saw the anime of Death Note, that was amazing!

AnimeGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Dec 2009, 2:20 pm

Switch,God Child, Cain Saga, Death Note, X/1999, Fairy Cube, Ahh if you don't mind horror I would suggest Goth, Vampire Hunter D, and MPD Psycho

Mazeut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2009, 3:18 pm

For dark and futuristic try Ergo Proxy, though now that I think of it don't think that was a manga (anime). Try Trace and
Gunslinger Girls (also made into an anime).

Unfortunately, manga you find in a stores (atleast in the States) is gona be limited mostly to younger stuff. Newer stuffs found online translated by fans. Besides One Manga (mentioned befor) there's also Manga Fox wich has a decent search function. Also there's a place called Kotonoha that carries some deeper stuff but you have to download them. Both Mangafox and Onemanga can be read online.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 7:08 pm

Graelwyn, I wholeheartedly recommend Death Note. It has been already recommended, but in passing. Basically, Death Note is a crime thriller manga with a supernatural twist. It is about a bored young genius high school student called Light Yagami, who comes across a notebook that, if you write someone's name in it, they die. Turns out that the notebook was dropped by a bored shinigami (god of death, or grim reaper) called Ryuk in order to provoke something interesting. Light decides to start killing off criminals and cleanse the world of evil, and the public call him 'Kira'. All very well, until the enigmatic L, supposed to be the greatest detective of all time, declares to Kira that he will find out who he is and capture him. Light and L prove to be well-matched opponents, as well as how far they will go: L uses a death-row inmate as a proxy in his first declaration against Kira, and Light unhesitatingly uses the Death Note to murder someone who might be a threat to him, even though he doesn't know that it is a criminal he is killing, and not L.

Although I've spoiled the first couple of chapters, it goes on for a whopping 108 chapters (12 books) of a cat and mouse game with supernatural overtones. It's very dark, but it is also a thoughtful story that raises (even though it wasn't the author's intent) serious questions about morality and power. Discussing too much about Death Note pretty much has spoilers inherent in the process. But it is very good, Graelwyn. Try it.

On sabbatical...

Sandulf
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2009, 9:01 am

Ghost In The Shell, Akira, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Elfen Lied, Berserk

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 2:55 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, I shall be raiding the bookstore when I get back home.
I can see this becoming a new obsession.

Or download it off torrent sites.

Oh, if you're a Star Wars Fan. The Star Wars Manga. Yes there are Star Wars Manga, several of them but I'm referring to the ones for Episodes IV-VI. They didn't finish the new trilogy manga AFAIK; only ep 1.

Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny, Crest of the Stars (manga or book =/). Robotech Manga (hey; you're asking for 'futuristic' :P)