Command Line--who likes it and who doesn't like it

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 2:00 pm

Are there many fans of the command line here,and how many people think they aren't confident with it,and prefer to find things manually?

The CL terminal is one of the best part of an operating system for me,but only started to use it when I originally made the change to linux.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

jim
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2006, 2:14 pm

When I first started, the CLI was all you used! (MS-DOS 5.0). I've been using the CLI for awhile - but Windows makes it unnecessary to use the CLI in day-to-day tasks.

Modern linux distros don't require the CLI for much, either - unless you're adminning a server, or compiling software/installing hardware.

I do like the power of CLI work, but it isn't so hot when you're trying to navigate complex directory trees and shuffle a lot of files around in a not-easily-programmible way.

I's also the only way you can do systems programming - or debugging X or a window manager.

OTOH, KDE makes handling removable media so flipping easy that I don't even mount CDs from the CLI anymore, and only have to eject them from the CLI if the disk is completely corrupt.

My $0.02

SirCamehan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2006, 7:31 pm

I like the CLI as it gives me precise control in what I want to do, and it is easier to perform scripted operations with it (via a batch script). Also, CLI apps are easier to program as there is no need to really make a GUI. Plus, CLI apps are much easier to port to other OSes, if they use no platform-specific things (like MFC, ATL, .NET and so on)

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2006, 7:51 pm

I learned to use PCs with MS-DOS 5.0.

I tried Ubuntu, but couldn't use the CL for crap. :(

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 2:46 pm

I use the command line only to use ftp, ssh into my server, compile some programs, and run a mobile phone editor (moto4lin) from root using sudo. though I am used to a GUI, I do use the command line often, usually there is never a week that goes by when i haven't used it

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 2:53 pm

I've started computer classes recently, and you guys have no idea how good you're making me feel right now. I can actually understand this conversation. That means I'm learning. :cry:

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2006, 5:30 pm

I love CLI - it's a far more powerful way of using a computer. I don't know if I'd feel differently if I had cut my computing teeth after GUIs became the norm.

I pefer CLIs so much that I've installed CygWin, giving me proper Unix like comands in a Windows environment. Perfect. :)

jman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2006, 12:52 pm

A CLI can be great if you want more control of what you can do. However it can become quite a hassle.

For example in my linux class we have to create a whole shitloaad of directory hierachies, create users and groups, and assign different permissions to the different files and folders. Real pain the ass IMHO.

But otherwise it's great for scripting and if you don't to be confined to the GUI.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 3:28 pm

the command line is great in both Microsoft OS's and in Linux. Very powerful and quick. If of course requires lots of human memory to remember all those commands. After using them frequently however, I've gotten the stuff down pretty good. Simple things like copying a file in a GUI is annoyingly complex in comparason!

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 7:42 pm

My first operating system was a way earlier version (around MS-DOS 2.x, if I recall right it was MS-DOS 2.11) than MS-DOS 5.0-6.0, actually had a Sanyo 8088 and my MS-DOS ran off a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk. So yeah I can deal with the CL. Ok this is making me officially feel old (going on 33 this year). :)

Benjammin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2006, 7:43 pm

I'm like Mish. I go back to DOS 2.x and on. (But don't worry about your age Mish, I'm in my middle 50's.) I like to brag that I'm one of the 17 people in the state of Illinois that has read the entire DOS 5.0 manual cover to cover.

Besides, if your GUI crashes, you need some knowledge or the command line.

I'm majoring in IT security at school and from the first day in LAN-111 and every class since then, knowledge of the command line has been a big help. Not to mention, the only way we're learning to program routers and switches is from a CISCO CLI.

LowShoe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2006, 6:45 pm

I learned with IBM-DOS in the '80s, don't remember the version; have played with Linux some but not in years. CLI the bestest quickest way I've found to do many things... I pissed and moaned when graphical OSes became popular ('what do I need that crap for!?').

And I can't forget how much fun it's been to look like an uber-mysterious geek around coworkers whose part-time helpdesk experience led them to think they know a lot about computers. :twisted:

Astreja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Mar 2006, 6:19 pm

The first five years of my working-with-computers life was spent on MS-DOS without Windows, so the CLI is no problem for me. It does take me a few seconds to adjust from / to \ when switching computers, and frequently I type Linux commands at Microsoft command prompts.

When running programs on a Windows system, my first instinct is to hit ctrl-esc, R for Run, and then type in the name of the executable rather than hunting through the Start Menu.

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 7:32 pm

Astreja wrote:
The first five years of my working-with-computers life was spent on MS-DOS without Windows, so the CLI is no problem for me. It does take me a few seconds to adjust from / to \ when switching computers, and frequently I type Linux commands at Microsoft command prompts.

When running programs on a Windows system, my first instinct is to hit ctrl-esc, R for Run, and then type in the name of the executable rather than hunting through the Start Menu.

I do that too. I prefer to type the command in rather than search for the program through piles of menus.

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse

CHAOS
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2006, 11:14 pm

A command line is fun when you want to launch/do some task very quickly. Beyond that, I'll stick with my GUI. You can't not love an abbreviation that sounds like an adjective describing food.

Quincunx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2006, 12:00 am

I have two computers: an iMac G5 and a FreeBSD-6.0-SECURE laptop.

That being said, I love both the GUI in Mac and FreeBSD's command line. On my laptop, I only have the basesystem installed, lynx and irssi. I love it. It's very convenient.

Kind regards,
Chris