How many didn't really care about getting a bf/gf 'til 18+?

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2009, 1:49 pm

I didn't even care a lot in college. I did care in hs a little bit.
Of course to complicate matters my parents are Indian so dating wasn't encouraged.
Plus I think my libido may be abnormal but not sure.
now suddenly well since maybe mid 20's I want a real relationship with emotions etc. not really serious at least initially.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:55 pm

That pretty much happened to me. As if the hormone induced outbursts weren't enough i n the teens, now have to deal with the emotional aspect catching up. Now, 29 and "emotionally isolated" in a personal sense and no way to really compensate it. Its quite annoying. ><

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 2:18 pm

I never really did. up until I was 19-20 I even thought that sex was icky and disgusting and couldn't comprehend why people do it :P so basically, I never wanted to be with A person, any person, or just someone with n characteristics. wanting always followed meeting someone whom I liked and not the other way round. if that makes any sense.

and yeah, I'm also not into serious serious, at least not marriage/kids/living together kind of serious :p

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Nov 2009, 2:42 pm

It really didn't bother me that I didn't date any until I was 18 because...I just didn't want to. My mind was more on my interests and music. I knew I was very awkward (and preceived by classmates as shy). In January of my senior year in high school, a fellow band member arranged a blind date for me. I talked with my date on roller coasters most of the evening, and I can't believe she wanted to date me. Well, we dated for 7 years and got married after we both had jobs. Tomorrow is our 20th wedding anniversary.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 3:17 pm

Nah and I still don't.

The only time I care is when I need to get over someone quickly.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 3:27 pm

Yep. No real interest until my late twenties, early thirties. And that kind of fizzled out when I realized how much work and aggravation it was and when my free time was no longer my own.

SK4
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Nov 2009, 4:24 pm

I had a girlfriend in highschool at 16, but didn't do much other than kiss. Then when I got to age 19 I started doing more stuff with girls and had a more longer serious relationship after that too. At the moment I'm just doing the 'whatever I can get' scene until I find a girl I can really get along with.

17 Nov 2009, 5:51 pm

I wanted a bf in 7th grade because other kids had one. But yet at the same time I didn't really like boys. I tried getting a bf when I was 17 and I accidentally embarrassed him but at the same time I had given everyone the message I didn't want sex. I told him I wasn't after that and I only wanted a bf, no sex. I had no idea he was tyring to be nice by saying he was too old for me. I just thought he didn't want me as his gf because of his age, not because he didn't want me. So I told him I wasn't after sex thinking that's what he was thinking. Fail.

My mom laughed at the whole thing when she heard the story. Then she had to tell me how you get a boyfriend. She told me you start out as friends first and if you two have strong feelings for each other, you decide to try the relationship. That's how you get a boyfriend. I asked a buy in my class if he wants to be my boyfriend and we weren't even friends. I liked him because he was cute even though he was fat. So I learned after that, you don't ask a guy to be your bf if you aren't friends with him and you hardly know him. I knew this guy because he was in my class but did I know his interests and all? No.

All through high school I wanted a boyfriend. I didn't get my first one till I was 20.

Audiophile
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2009, 6:04 pm

I did for a little bit in early/mid jr. high, way before anyone else, and about 1 year ago I made one date with a girl. At very end when you're supposed to hug or kiss the girl, my mind when blank and I just said "bye". That was the last time I saw the girl or heard from her.

So to save myself from that awkward s**t is to never get close with someone. I screw close relationships with people so many times before that I don't want to see it again.

Plus all that dram crap, blegh. I want to move to a remote island that has no bugs, reptiles, or people for the rest of my life. That would be nice.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 7:16 pm

glider18 wrote:
It really didn't bother me that I didn't date any until I was 18 because...I just didn't want to. My mind was more on my interests and music. I knew I was very awkward (and preceived by classmates as shy). In January of my senior year in high school, a fellow band member arranged a blind date for me. I talked with my date on roller coasters most of the evening, and I can't believe she wanted to date me. Well, we dated for 7 years and got married after we both had jobs. Tomorrow is our 20th wedding anniversary.

Congrats!! !

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 9:01 pm

I can absolutely relate to some of this. I started becoming interested in girls when I was between 15 and 16, but since they showed at least as much, and often more, interest in me than I felt toward them, I wasn't really anxious to get started. Then I developed some health issues that took focus for a few years. When I tried to get back into the game (that I had never even really started), I realized the rules changed.

Though I'm certainly not into anything serious at this point, I'm quite desperate for some more casual experience. And I can certainly relate to those who don't want their free time belonging to anyone else--I certainly don't either.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 9:56 am

I was basically clueless until after then. I did have opportunities before but I didn't really understand relationships.

In a way I miss my naivety.

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2009, 10:41 am

Didn't worry about it at 18 and don't now. Did very little dating until my late-20s.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 10:46 am

I didn't care much, until the last 2 years. Before then, I had panic disorder so bad that it was unthinkable. Sad, but true. :(

Those who know, don't speak.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 10:57 am

Opposite, I carred about having/needing a GF more as a high school and college kid than as an adult. I'd probaly say i cared until I was 22, and not since.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 4:12 pm

I never thought about getting a girlfriend.
I had the "pleasure" of getting a girlfriend last year, and dumped her not long ago.
Now I'm back to not caring again.

Was more of an experiment for me, sounds a bit cruel I know.

:::)