Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

chelischili7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Nov 2009, 4:42 pm

Are people usually surprised when you tell them you have AS? I've told a few people who are either somewhat familiar with AS or close friends of mine; oftentimes they are very surprised. The majority of people I tell do not know the specifics about AS, but when I describe AS in detail they state, "Oh yeah, Chris! The condition completely describes your mannerisms and thought processes."

17 Nov 2009, 4:55 pm

No and I don't know why. I don't tell anyone anyway.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 5:57 pm

chelischili7 wrote:
Are people usually surprised when you tell them you have AS? I've told a few people who are either somewhat familiar with AS or close friends of mine; oftentimes they are very surprised. The majority of people I tell do not know the specifics about AS, but when I describe AS in detail they state, "Oh yeah, Chris! The condition completely describes your mannerisms and thought processes."

Perhaps it's because people who are somewhat familiar with AS are more familiar with the stereotypes of it, than with what actually happens? But if you explain it to someone who doesn't already have preconceived ideas about it, you explain the symptoms in how they relate to you, so it makes sense. People who are somewhat familiar with it will be familiar with outward behaviors, not what's behind those behaviors, so different presentations wouldn't even occur to them.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2009, 7:30 pm

I have told very few people I have AS. None of them have been surprised.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 8:11 pm

Not surprised...exactly...but they usually don't know much about it.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 11:12 pm

1 person in my course strongly suspected I had AS without me mentioning it to her. She said that she could tell coz she suspected that her Dad has it as well, and that I resemble him in several ways.

Another time when I was applying for work at a Lab, when I told the Supervisor in the interview that I had AS, he said that he could tell.

There are lots of people in my course who apparently gossip about me being weird or strange, but they don't know I have AS.