Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 3:19 am

outlier wrote:
Stereotypies can occur in other developmental and psychiatric conditions; for example, schizophrenia and mental retardation.

It is the same stims. And schizophrenia and Tourette are related to ASCs. Besides, it is important to distinguish between true stereotypy (which is an environmental trait found in deprived animals, and humans), and stims. These are not the same thing.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 7:00 am

I've discovered there is also a corelation between stimming or they call it fidgeting in this reference, and kinesthetic learning style. This wonders me. Do most ADS folks also have kinesthetic learning style? So if an NT has kinesthetic learning style he could be a stimming NT>

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2009, 10:09 pm

Janissy wrote:
rdos wrote:
I do not believe it is only the frequency that differs. I think it is also the stims themselves. NTs have their own kind of stimming, like "doing the wave", courtship dances and stuff, but these are no like the ASD kind of stimming.

I disagree. I think the stims are exactly the same, they just are of such shorter duration. "Doing the wave" and courtship dances are not stims. They are non-verbal communication. NTs do stims that absolutely are reported here as things Aspies have done as stims, just only for very short times: tapping on surfaces, chewing on objects (usually pencils), hair tugs, pacing, rocking, flapping. If you do any of those things just a couple times, it doesn't "count" to the doctors but it is exactly the same movement as an Aspie (or autie!) is doing 100 times in a row, just for not as long.

I think you're exactly right on that one, Janissy. I've got a few NT friends who have similar stims to me (knee bobbing), but they'll do it for far shorter periods. Most of my stims are movement or tactile based.. flapping my feet, bobbing my knee, tugging at my hair and brushing it against my lips. I find them immensely relaxing, and while I comments and odd looks, I think the benefits in terms of calmness and stimulation far outweigh it, so I tend to brush it off.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 3:08 am

willmark wrote:
I've discovered there is also a corelation between stimming or they call it fidgeting in this reference, and kinesthetic learning style. This wonders me. Do most ADS folks also have kinesthetic learning style? So if an NT has kinesthetic learning style he could be a stimming NT>

Correlation means nothing for ASC-traits, as all ASC-traits are correlated with each others.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 3:44 am

My personal view is my stimming correlates directly with my anxiety levels. Because I am an aspie whose sensory issues are quite pronounced, I tend to have quite high levels of anxiety at times. Anything new or out of routine tends to cause quite high levels of anxiety.
My stimming increases at these times and it recedes when i am calmer.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 9:52 am

rdos wrote:
willmark wrote:

Correlation means nothing for ASC-traits, as all ASC-traits are correlated with each others.

Maybe Correlation is the wrong term. I was really looking for associations. What other groups also stim? I am fairly certain I am mostly NT, but I do lots of stimming.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 11:11 am

millie wrote:
My personal view is my stimming correlates directly with my anxiety levels. Because I am an aspie whose sensory issues are quite pronounced, I tend to have quite high levels of anxiety at times. Anything new or out of routine tends to cause quite high levels of anxiety.
My stimming increases at these times and it recedes when i am calmer.

Mine is almost always present, and increases when I am being creative. Often when I am trying lie still, my muscles feel like they ache to move. About the only time I am not moving is when I am mentally exhausted.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 8:51 pm

Much self stimulatory behavior serves an important regulatory role. People use these behaviors to ease anxiety, aid in concentration and even to envigorate themselves.

Sometimes a stim might be non-adaptive, it does not regulate in a useful way and is an impediment or source of annoyance of discomfort. This is not unlike when someone gets a song they do not like stuck in their head. An example that might familiar to some with AS would be when the same loop of repetitious thoughts are thought over and over again, involuntarily and to the detriment of mood or performance.

Bob550
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2010, 10:38 pm

Mine is always there, mostly when I'm nervous or in a new situation. I have several things I do and they all seem to relate to the situation, whatever it is.