What is your reason for wanting a boyfriend or girlfriend?

Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 3:37 pm

Salonfilosoof wrote:
If you have that kind of experience but only very rarely, maybe you are empathic but only with extremely emotional situations, whereas neurotypical people are empathic all the time. I can't say I ever had any experience where I became actually empathic because of intense emotional input rather than rational input, but maybe that's because I don't remember it and not because it never happened. It's hard to say. We don't always remember things exactly the way they happened, anyway.

Maybe it was not empathy at all but yet another subconscious process that triggers you when you as subject to certain emotions you would normally not feel. Maybe it was the ackward feeling of being the only one not to cry that started a subconscious process that made you feel sad yourself. Humans are so complex it is very often not straightforward why we do the things we do.

How does who prioritize?!?

Anyway, the reason you probably get uncomfortable in social situations is because you don't know what's expected from you. The only advice I can give you here, is that you can only learn what's expected from you by trying it dozens, hundreds if not thousands of times. You can only figure out how to behave under which conditions by doing it wrong the first few times and learning from your previous mistakes. Watch how people move their eyebrows, their noses, their mouths, their shoulders and other parts of their bodies as you communicate with them and try to understand which changes are positive and which changes are negative as this information is often much more valuable than the information you get from what people actually say (it's much harder to lie with your body language than with the words you speak). There are many books written on body language, so if you don't see the patterns in people's behavior yourself and you don't have neurotypical friends who are willing to point some of them out to you, you can always try reading a book about it. Although a book will never be able to teach you everything you need to know about body language, it may help you enough to become more confident about yourself.

i dont know. i am....i dont know......but i can feel empathy...i'm pretty sure. it is indeed very rare.

you said the NTs prioritize responses to objects....what did you mean?

so, do NTs know that stuff that confuses me automatically? i get most stuff, but i do observe people a lot more than the average person. are you saying all that processing goes on subconciously for them? and they couldnt really say....point out the features that make someone nervous looking, they'd just know?

Rocker82
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jan 2010, 2:19 am

I've been wanting a girlfriend since I was 13;I'm 27(turning 28 this February).I still don't have a girlfriend,but the reason for having one is someone whom I can to talk,and do things together.As guy,I'd told other guys that I never had one,but I get ridiculed!I'm not the only men on planet Earth who's still single.In regards of ridicule,it's something that the media propagates.