Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 1:27 pm

Scientist wrote:
EaglesSayMeow wrote:
what is the real definition of a stim?
Stimming: the informal term for self-stimulation.
Stimming is a repetitive body movement that is hypothesized to self-stimulate one or more senses in a regulated manner. A repetitive movement, or stereotypy, is referred to as stimming under the hypothesis that it has a function related to sensory input.

That's something I haven't really gotten. :? Let's see...I have a REALLY hard time sitting still. I work at a computer, but I'm always moving my legs, kind of like...as if 'bouncing?', well, back and forth. I also don't feel...good without having something in my hands, whether I'm sitting, walking, whatever. Like playing with my badge, I keep flapping, or just flapping my hands. I don't know if it's actually stimming, but if it is, how does it like stimulate the senses? It rather gives me a feeling of...well-being? I have a hard time describing anything like how something feels.

RedHorizon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2009, 9:02 pm

Not sure if I'm alone or if this is common, but the definition is a little unclear to me. I have some things I do that I might associate with the general idea of stimming: While sitting an urge to move each leg up and down by pushing the front of the foot downwards (I'm doing this right now...), rubbing the index fingers of each hand together (mostly when reading), rocking back and forth heavily at certain times, rubbing fingernails across each other, and tapping fingers against surfaces in specific orders (typically when sitting).

I'm guessing that the definition of this is vague to begin with, but to compound the confusion of what stimming encompasses I assume that some things would instead be considered symptoms of OCD; however that's not to say that anything is mutually exclusive to either or that anything must be black or white in their categorization.

I'd just mention that because I have OCD tendencies that put anything of that show "Obsessed" to shame, and am interested in knowing if there's any strict categorization.

EaglesSayMeow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2009, 2:52 am

RedHorizon wrote:
rubbing the index fingers of each hand together (mostly when reading)

Wow, seems a lot of people rub their fingers on stuff.

DonkeyBuster wrote:

OMG... the smell of a new book... addictive. I think in my case, though, it's now a stim, but an indulgence... aaaah. :lol:

I think everyone loves the smell of books. As a teen who probably brings more books to camp than clothes, I know I do.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2009, 3:12 am

I like rubbing my fingers, but I do it so much it's not even a stim anymore. it's just something that I do.

I also like to touch things in certain ways (depending on the thing, and which fingers i choose to use, and how I feel) and I like to look at something go in front of another thing in a certain way. I also do this with my hands, and sometimes if my hand or an object goes forward, I want it to go back in the exact same pathway, and if it's a little bit off I want to keep trying until I get it right, which can get annoying if I don't stop myself. but it's one of my favorite things to do. I like looking at colorful shiny reflectey things, pretty combinations of colors, unusual shapes or patterns, and flowers, especially if they have bees on them. I just stare at things and imagine a tiny world inside it.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 8:13 am

RedHorizon wrote:
Not sure if I'm alone or if this is common, but the definition is a little unclear to me...I'm guessing that the definition of this is vague to begin with, but to compound the confusion of what stimming encompasses I assume that some things would instead be considered symptoms of OCD; however that's not to say that anything is mutually exclusive to either or that anything must be black or white in their categorization. I'd just mention that because I have OCD tendencies that put anything of that show "Obsessed" to shame, and am interested in knowing if there's any strict categorization.
OCD co-occurs often with tics. These are more complex and ritualised and are not 'stims' nor should they be confused with 'obsessional interests'. 'Stims' and 'obsessional interests' involve volition. OCD and tics do not (even though one may enjoy or be amused by some of them at times, though mostly they are exhausting, annoying and invasive). They are involuntary and compulsive and like tics, if suppressed OCD rituals often become entrenched and more severe.
See: ASD Co-Morbid Disorders and Tourettes's Tics and OCD Should Not be Mistaken for Stims

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2009, 8:47 am

I don't involve my fingertips in my stims, as I really hate for them to touch more than they have to.

I actually flex my fingers back (straightened out), so they're not touching, and tap the top of my palm on things, or press it against things.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 10:26 am

BoringAaron wrote:
I also like to touch things in certain ways (depending on the thing, and which fingers i choose to use, and how I feel) and I like to look at something go in front of another thing in a certain way. I also do this with my hands, and sometimes if my hand or an object goes forward, I want it to go back in the exact same pathway, and if it's a little bit off I want to keep trying until I get it right, which can get annoying if I don't stop myself. but it's one of my favorite things to do.

So this is an example of OCD?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 11:25 am

Haven scent topic

Certain odours do the deja-vu thing for me. Associated with memories.

Great stim.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 1:08 pm

If I have a clicky pen in my hand, and I'm not actively writing with it, you can probably hear it across the room. I have also made people dizzy with my swiveling back and forth in my chair at work.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 4:33 pm

Scientist wrote:
... I always tend to smell things. Like when I get a book, I'll always smell it ...
Speaking of smelling books: You can tell a book by its smell, scientists say ;)

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

RichardP
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Dec 2009, 2:54 am

My hands are almost always in motion. I often rub and pull at my hands and fingers. I crach my knuckles and hyperextend them as far as I can. I scratch at my face and body because of frequent itching sensations. I pull at my ear lobes and squeeze them hard. I pull on my toes and squeeze them. When I bathe I do no use a wash rag but rather scratch the dirt away with my fingernails sometimes cutting myself. I pick at my skin all over my arms and shoulders and leave marks which heal into rough feeling scars. I pull the hair out on my head, face, and entire body. When I was a teenager I used to lightly burn my arms and make long shallow cuts with a razer blade. I frequently twist my body from side to side while grabbing at my shoulder. I find rocking the most comfortable act of all as it calms me greatly while simultaneously energizing me.

"The purpose of the physician is to entertain the patient whilst the disease runs its inevitable course." -Voltaire

Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AT) Test: 46

Broad Autism Phenotype Test: 132 aloof, 114 rigid, 99 pragmatic

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 1:25 pm

Just curious if anyone else does t is one that used to freak my brother and dad out - rolling your eyes back. It feels like you are stretching the muscles that pull your eyes down.

BobTheCat420
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2010, 7:09 am

EaglesSayMeow wrote:
You know how most plush toys have those little tags? Well, I was obsessed with the tag on mine. You know, one of those tags hanging off the side saying where it was from? It used to feel like that sort of shiny stuff, but I used to rub it against my index finger all the time. It's hard to describe, but I'm pretty sure nobody else I knew did this. I did this so much that the tag got almost 100% worn away (first it became cloth-like, then I wore holes into it until it had almost dissapeared!)

I did the same thing when I was a kid and just thought I was weird, and it wasn't something I ever tried to describe to anyone. I also fold up pieces of paper and rub the point across the creases of my fingers. I would say that's my most prominent stim. When I'm in public I'll do it when I put my hands in my pockets, but I try not to look like I'm playing pocket pool lol.