Four Police Officers Killed in Washington

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 8:39 pm

Four Police Officers Killed in Washington - NY Times

This is pretty scary. It's very close to where I go to school, around a place I'm familiar with. Hopefully it doesn't happen again any time soon. They're increasing the reward to $100,000; maybe someone at my school will catch him somehow and turn him in for tuition jk/lol.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 9:27 pm

:( Very scary almost like a mob hit from a old movie.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2009, 9:48 pm

aspiegirl2 wrote:

This is pretty scary. It's very close to where I go to school, around a place I'm familiar with. Hopefully it doesn't happen again any time soon. They're increasing the reward to $100,000; maybe someone at my school will catch him somehow and turn him in for tuition jk/lol.

Your smart-mouth comment is out of line, and your ability to make a joke out of something connected to this is very disappointing. Nine children will be without a parent forever because of what happened this morning. I don't happen to see anything in that that is material for any kind of humor.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 10:05 pm

Thats real sad, we had 4 RCMP officers ambushed up here in Alberta in 2005, this is so tragic

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 11:36 pm

You may have heard that four police officers were murdered in what under different circumstances would look like a mob assassination in Washington state coffeehouse this morning.

The man local police are seeking for questioning is Maurice Clemmons, 37, a man with a lifetime history of violence, burglary, aggravated robbery, theft and rape. Clemmons was serving what was essentially a life sentence in Arkansas before having his sentence commuted by then-Gov. Mike Huckabee.

"This is the day I've been dreading for a long time," Pulaski County, Arkansas prosecutor Larry Jegley told the Seattle Times when told Clemmons was a suspect in the quadruple murder.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2009, 12:18 am

It is scary that someone can walk up and do this to anybody, but to gun down 4 trained officers.... I wonder for what purpose he did this? Woke up angry at the police for his messed up life? Was he hired to kill one of the officers?

I am saddened at the loss of the life of the officers in this seemly random execution.
In the US we enjoy a lot of freedoms, in recent years it has become clear how vulnerable we are. This is the type of thing you hear happening in other countries.. not here. At least in my little fantasy view of our country. The news has shattered my illusions lately.

I truly hope they catch this murder and find out why he did it.

Rest in peace officers, my heart goes out to your family, friends, and community.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 1:06 am

blastoff wrote:
aspiegirl2 wrote:

Your smart-mouth comment is out of line, and your ability to make a joke out of something connected to this is very disappointing. Nine children will be without a parent forever because of what happened this morning. I don't happen to see anything in that that is material for any kind of humor.

Humans deal with unspeakable tragedy by deflecting the pain with humor; it's part of why, for instance, less than three days passed between the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger and the first jokes about it (Q: What were the last words heard from the Challenger? A: "What does this button do?").

Besides, tuition at the University of Puget Sound is kind of steep... :)

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 12:37 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
blastoff wrote:
aspiegirl2 wrote:

Humans deal with unspeakable tragedy by deflecting the pain with humor; it's part of why, for instance, less than three days passed between the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger and the first jokes about it (Q: What were the last words heard from the Challenger? A: "What does this button do?").

Besides, tuition at the University of Puget Sound is kind of steep... :)

I was trying to think of something along those lines to say, but you already did.
Humor is how a lot of people deal with things that are upsetting, and it's among the more positive coping mechanisms.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 5:11 pm

I am serious. From now on officers will have to go in groups of at least two and one will have to stand guard while the other has his coffee, then they switch.

ruveyn

ed
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 5:30 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I am serious. From now on officers will have to go in groups of at least two and one will have to stand guard while the other has his coffee, then they switch.

ruveyn

Maybe they should give up coffee.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaki ... ice_b.html

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 5:55 pm

I apologize in advance for the morbid humor, but...

Headline: "Driver: Police beat man who died in custody."

Well, it's a little late to be beating him at that point, isn't it?

Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 12:44 pm

they found the guy today in rainier valley, he pulled out a gun, they shot him, he died.

I was up skiing at snoqualmie pass yesterday, police were all over the place, I guess they got a tip or something. I saw many cops holding huge rifles asking anyone for information.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 1:55 pm

Yeah; they shot and killed Clemmons at about 2:30 this morning because, according to the officer, he was being non-compliant and feared for his life, and thus shot Clemmons. Sorry I didn't reply to my own thread. Pretty busy in college with finals week coming up. Sorry if I offended anyone with my morbid humor. It is true that tuition is high at UPS, and across the way at PLU (about $40,000 per year, with more financial aid offered at PLU according to most people). It's also correct to say that people deal with stress in different ways. They say that aspies tend to laugh in the weirdest of times. My theory is that it's because we have a more developed "cooling" system (I forget the parts of the brain that were discussed in my Personality Theories class for the "cooling" system). It means that we can "cool off" or are more capable of being relaxed in times of stress sooner. It may be connected to the "fight or flight" response, although I'll have to look it up. Tony Attwood even said, at one of his conferences in Washington, that we can cope with grief faster than the average or neurotypical person. It's pretty interesting stuff. It's not as if we don't feel sadness or grief, of course, but some say that we could "cool off" or get over things in a shorter amount of time. In other words, we may have a shorter grieving process. Sometimes it can be pretty difficult for others to understand, especially neurotypicals. I hope that other aspies could understand and that it's not "just me", or "just the few". Anyways, the case ended pretty abruptly, although not for the families from whom a family member was taken. It sounds like it was a pretty sophisticated ambush from what I heard in the news. They had a person acting as a getaway driver and people helping Clemmons to escape. Hopefully there won't be more cases like this, or some kind of ripple effect. I don't know if it was because he was a severely delusional (possibly schizophrenic), as one he said the world was going to end, that he was Jesus, and that he was trying to get people to trust him, plus getting his family to take their clothes off. Either way he shouldn't have been released from jail. He probably should have gone to the hospital at some point, but definitely not on the street. They did say that he was a really helpful neighbor and loved his family, but something was definitely wrong. I don't know if it was because he was an extreme anarchist, that he was severely delusional, or both. I guess we'll just have to see how the cookie crumbles. Here are a couple more articles from the last day or so:

Search for Lakewood Shooting-Suspect's Home Comes Up Empty - KVAL.com

Tacoma Suspect Is Killed by Police Officer in Seattle - NY Times

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 12:50 am

sinsboldly wrote:
"This is the day I've been dreading for a long time," Pulaski County, Arkansas prosecutor Larry Jegley told the Seattle Times when told Clemmons was a suspect in the quadruple murder.

I can see why it starts being called a "mass murder" at four people or more.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 10:54 am

Venger wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

actually the quote from Larry Jegley called it a quadruple murder.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 11:37 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Venger wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

actually the quote from Larry Jegley called it a quadruple murder.

That makes it sound pretty silly for something so serious. :)