Ten Things I Don't Get About NTs, Please Explain

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BMH
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2009, 9:56 am

The name of this thread should have been "Ten Things I Don't Get About Some Americans"

Quote:
8. People who say "You don't get it." They can tell me I don't get it, but they always get upset when I ask them to define the "it". If they can tell me I don't get it, then they should be able to define the "it" that I don't get, but they can't.
I've compiled a list of things I don't get about normal people.

You just don't get it 8)
Normal people are all very different.

Last edited by BMH on 30 Nov 2009, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 11:16 am

Kevin_I wrote:
1. I'm from South Dakota. When I travel, people ask me if I'm from Minnesota. This is annoying, because I'm not from Minnesota, I'm from South Dakota. Even though I live 15 1/2 miles from the Minnesota boundary, I get asked if I'm from Minnesota. Why? It annoys me.

Well, if you told them you're from SD, it is annoying. Maybe your voice or other hints reflect a Minnesota influence?

Kevin_I wrote:
2. When people tell other people where they're from, how large does the municipality need to be before people will admit to being from it? My family lives in Clear Lake, SD. They tell everyone else they're from Watertown, SD. They're not from Watertown, they're from Clear Lake.

Matter of geography and common knowledge. I was born in Miramar, FL. It was one of 33 municipalities in Broward County...all jammed up against each other. Fort Lauderdale is the most notable city people outside the area would know about. I'm amazed how many ret*d people think of "Brevard County" (west coast of FL) when I say "Broward County." So, if I tell people Ft. Lauderdale, it saves me the geography lesson.

Kevin_I wrote:
3. When NTs ask what time it is, why do they get bent out of shape if the current time doesn't end in 0 or 5? If it's 11:57, why do I need to tell them it's 11:55 or 12:00? It's easier to read my watch instead of thinking "OK, It's 11:57, that's 2 minutes away from 11:55 but 3 minutes away from 12:00, so I'll have to tell this person it's 11:55." That's a lot of work!

People are too lazy to do math in their heads. Increments of 5 minutes is easier to work with.

Wanna piss them off? Give it to them with seconds included.

Kevin_I wrote:
4. On the issue of dating. NT advice: "If you need a girlfriend, that's a turn off to women." This makes zero sense! If we didn't need women, we would never ask them on a date. If we didn't need women, nobody would ever get married because nobody ever asked anyone on a date. The species wouldn't propagate. We wouldn't be having this discussion.

Women (for some reason I can't fathom) seem to like being treated like dirt. The more effective way to attract a woman is to make her feel that you really don't find her worthy of your attention. This makes you a challenge, and I suppose NT women are drawn to a challenge. Same reason they will pursue a worthless jerk over a nice guy...the challenge of "saving" him.

Kevin_I wrote:
5. More NT dating advice that makes zero sense: "You need to be happy being single before you can be happy with someone else." This is circular logic.

True, but the rationale is this....Too many get into relationships thinking the other person will magically make them "happy." This almost never happens. If you can't learn to be happy when you are alone, then you are seeking something from a relationship that likely isn't there. Also, lots of dysfunctional relationships are entered into out of desperation from the belief that it's the best they are ever going to get.

Kevin_I wrote:
6. In the NT world, why is the action acceptable but the reaction unacceptable? I'm talking about bullies vs. school shooters. If the school shooter didn't kill himself, he would most likely spend life in prison. If it's against the law to shoot people at school, then why isn't the cause "bullying" also illegal?

This is why the legal system doesn't work. Bullys exploit the system. They do what they do knowing its wrong, but never leave enough proof that you can make a sound case against them in a system of due process. If we all carried guns and dealt with a bully by a session in a dark alley with a baseball bat, we'd not have a problem, but the "law" will not tolerate "vigilante justice." I went to law school, and I'm an advocate for vigilante justice.

Kevin_I wrote:
7. Why are certain fanaticisms acceptable but others aren't? My brother is far more fanatic about sports than I am of my own interests, but somehow my interests are odd.

When 60% of the general population is into it, even molesting gerbils is acceptable. "Odd" means being in the minority.

Kevin_I wrote:
8. People who say "You don't get it." They can tell me I don't get it, but they always get upset when I ask them to define the "it". If they can tell me I don't get it, then they should be able to define the "it" that I don't get, but they can't.

Shame on you (sic)...didn't you know you're supposed to be psychic? They presume you are NT...therefore, no explanation should be necessary.

Kevin_I wrote:
9. I admit, I'm ashamed to ask this one, but I'm going to ask it anyway. When NTs go to the lake, and they want to go swimming, but they didn't bring a swimsuit, why do they take their socks off but leave everything else on? If you're going to jump in the lake fully clothed, why is it so important to remove one's socks? I get screamed at for frequent violations of this NT rule, yet no one can explain the logic to me.

Nobody wants to wear wet shoes for the rest of the day. Wet socks means wet shoes later, and shoes take longer to dry out than other garments. That, and some shoes get damaged by being kept wet.

Kevin_I wrote:
10. What makes some music cool, and other music uncool?

There's that 60% of the general population thing. Well, not really. If the "really popular crowd" likes it (less than 10%), that seems to be enough.

No gerbils were harmed in the answering of this thread.

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2009, 1:19 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
As a response to #10, music is a very personal thing. Not everybody's going to like the same types of music. Your brother could be more diplimatic about your musical tastes, instead of being shallow about it. I think that what's cool as far as music is concerned, depends on who's listening to a particular type of music. I love the music and the fashions of the Mid 60s. My sister prefers today's fashions and Top 40. Who's right and who's wrong? Nobody's right and nobody's wrong. We are just completly different people, and we compliment each other in that respect.

Not for everyone. I believe a lot of young people listen to certain types of music because they are impressionable of the media and their friends of what is "hot" or "in". I mean, why else do we have idiots listening to pop "artists" with no talent like Jonas Brothers or Lil Wayne?

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 1:30 pm

Even better than giving the time in seconds.

"Well it depends on which frame of reference you are using to define a slice of simultaneity."

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 1:39 pm

Celtic_Frost wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
As a response to #10, music is a very personal thing. Not everybody's going to like the same types of music. Your brother could be more diplimatic about your musical tastes, instead of being shallow about it. I think that what's cool as far as music is concerned, depends on who's listening to a particular type of music. I love the music and the fashions of the Mid 60s. My sister prefers today's fashions and Top 40. Who's right and who's wrong? Nobody's right and nobody's wrong. We are just completly different people, and we compliment each other in that respect.

Not for everyone. I believe a lot of young people listen to certain types of music because they are impressionable of the media and their friends of what is "hot" or "in". I mean, why else do we have idiots listening to pop "artists" with no talent like Jonas Brothers or Lil Wayne?

I don't listen to rap much so I have no gauge for judging Lil Wayne. But you do seem to have fallen into the trap of thinking that if lots of people like it, it must be terrible. The Jonas Brothers actually are talented. The fact that screaming little girls like them does not therefore mean that they are untalented. But it does mean that a lot of people will think "nobody with talent could ever appeal to a fan base of screaming little girls- therefore they are untalented". That's judging the audience, not the musicians. It's exactly what the OP's brother did when he criticized the OP for listening to "women's music" even though he is a man. If you judge music by who listens to it, you fall into the trap of cool/uncool and can't be objective.

ImNotOk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2009, 2:08 pm

Kevin_I wrote:

The people I chat with on on-line chat sessions refer to themselves as "cheesepodders". They download and listen to music they say is uncool, and they're proud of it! One of the people I chat with on-line proudly proclaims "I can out-cheese anybody, any day." They're all NTs, and they told me nobody ever criticizes their taste in music. Why do they get to listen to anything they please, not get criticized, and I don't??

This is something I figured out a few years back that has helped me feel better in social situations and not be looked at as wierd, instead I am just quarky. It seems that if you are different in the NT world being proud of it and admiting it loudly and confidently makes you accepted not rejected. My eyes wonder A LOT when people are talking to me, I get side tracked by birds flying by or wind blowing the leaves in trees, I used to get made fun of for this all the time when I was younger now I just tell people I am smart enough to multi task, admit that people dont hold my interest long, and they are welcome to make an atempt to not bore the crap out of me, they usually laugh tell me they act the same way at times and that they admire my honesty. If I could have only figured out as a kid that it was cool to be uncool and wierd as long as you admit it and act like they are the one with the problem not you.

By the way its sort of your families job to give you a hard time about things, my brothers have been a pain in my side my whole life.

ImNotOk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2009, 2:14 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Kevin_I wrote:
No gerbils were harmed in the answering of this thread.

Thats really funny :lol:

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 3:02 pm

Kevin_I wrote:
I've compiled a list of things I don't get about normal people. Maybe someone can explain them in a language I can understand.

I really smiled at your questions. I empathised with some of them. However, I have answers for you.

Quote:
1. I'm from South Dakota. When I travel, people ask me if I'm from Minnesota. This is annoying, because I'm not from Minnesota, I'm from South Dakota. Even though I live 15 1/2 miles from the Minnesota boundary, I get asked if I'm from Minnesota. Why? It annoys me.

Either they have some preconception of what a person from Minnesota sounds like - and they think you do - or they are unsure if the town you live in is within the SD border, or just over it. Intellectual laziness if you ask me.

Also, such a question is called a leading question. It is designed to get you to talk about yourself. They are showing interest in the facts of your life. They are being friendly.

Quote:
2. When people tell other people where they're from, how large does the municipality need to be before people will admit to being from it? My family lives in Clear Lake, SD. They tell everyone else they're from Watertown, SD. They're not from Watertown, they're from Clear Lake. I have cousins from Colorado that do the same thing. They live in Brighton, CO, but they tell everyone they're from Denver. They're not from Denver, they're from Brighton! When I ask them about it, they get annoyed.

My brother and I argue about something like this too. He insists I am from a certain town. Yet I spent only a fraction of my life time there. I was not even born there. It is where our dad is from.

I dont like the town, so when people from that town say "This is Fuzzy, hes from ......" I deny it.

Does that sound like your problem? NTs - and I suppose some aspies - consider their birth or childhood town as being 'where they are from'. Is that the case for these people?

Quote:
3. When NTs ask what time it is, why do they get bent out of shape if the current time doesn't end in 0 or 5? If it's 11:57, why do I need to tell them it's 11:55 or 12:00? It's easier to read my watch instead of thinking "OK, It's 11:57, that's 2 minutes away from 11:55 but 3 minutes away from 12:00, so I'll have to tell this person it's 11:55." That's a lot of work!

They are not interested in details. Annoying, right? But its the same as someone saying "what is a pencil made from?" and you explaining that its primarily carbon atoms. That fact and level of detail is not pertinent to the situation.

Frankly I prefer the exact time myself. Thats why I am punctual.

Quote:
4. On the issue of dating. NT advice: "If you need a girlfriend, that's a turn off to women." This makes zero sense! If we didn't need women, we would never ask them on a date. If we didn't need women, nobody would ever get married because nobody ever asked anyone on a date. The species wouldn't propagate. We wouldn't be having this discussion.

This is an example where aspies dont read between the lines. Which is a dumb saying too. It should be "aspies dont read between the words".

There is an implied word left out of that phrase. It should be "If you act like you need a girlfriend, thats a turn off to women. Meaning if you seem desperate.

Desperation in this case is a warning signal to women because it is an indicator that you perceive yourself to be flawed. You know how they speak of 'tells' in poker? Well, the mating game has tells too. In fact tells are a huge element of every aspect of daily life.

Like when people say "I dont care what people think". Well, that means they really do. Most NTs will they act as though they believe the statement, and then later conveniently forget either the statement, or the fact that the teller actually does care.

Its strange, I know.

Quote:
5. More NT dating advice that makes zero sense: "You need to be happy being single before you can be happy with someone else." This is circular logic. Observe the circular logic, "Why are you unhappy", "I don't have a girlfriend.", "Why don't you have a girlfriend?", "Because I'm unhappy.", "Why are you unhappy?", "Because I don't have a girlfriend.", "Why don't you have a girlfriend?", "Because I'm unhappy.", "Why are you unhappy?", "Because I don't have a girlfriend." This could go on forever.

No, it actually makes great sense.

And in this case, the NT statement is true and literal. A better way to phrase it would be "If you cant be happy alone, you will never be happy with someone else". What it means is that happiness is purely internal. Which most people blindly ignore.

Love and friendships are a trade off. They will merely accent your internal state.

Quote:
6. In the NT world, why is the action acceptable but the reaction unacceptable? I'm talking about bullies vs. school shooters. If the school shooter didn't kill himself, he would most likely spend life in prison. If it's against the law to shoot people at school, then why isn't the cause "bullying" also illegal?

Because it is too hard to define and catch bullying. Murder and injury, and the events surrounding it are much easier to document. And I come to the conclusion that a certain aspect of bullying is socially acceptable. It is an outgrowth of social sorting.

The best way to win against bullying is to ride it out and to not adopt it yourself.

When I was a nightclub bouncer, it was my job to intimidate bullies. I had to take care lest I become a bully myself, which a lot of bouncers did.

Bullies seek to suppress behavior in others that they despise in themselves.

You know that phrase "do as I say, not as I do?" A lot of bullies were bullied for the things they pick on you for. They fear other people seeing those traits within them, and they resent you enjoying the things they were not permitted to enjoy.

One way out of being bullied is to emulate your bully. I am not recommending this, because someone else must become the prey, and you dont want other people to suffer as you did.

Quote:
7. Why are certain fanaticisms acceptable but others aren't? My brother is far more fanatic about sports than I am of my own interests, but somehow my interests are odd. The difference is, when he watches the game on TV, he screams as loud as he possibly can. I don't know what this is supposed to accomplish. Somehow, my brother screaming in front of a TV that's 188 miles away from the stadium will help his team win? This doesn't make sense, because I don't scream "woo-hoo" as loud as I can while pursuing my own interests.

Cleave to the norm(No dont). Normal people see our enjoyments as some ratified entertainment that they are forever denied. They dont see how we can enjoy it, but they still resent that they are missing out.

Also, they seek group participation of their hobbies because it validates their enjoyment. In their eyes, its more fun because more people think(and say) so. Silly, isnt it?

Quote:

Ah, this. (See what I did there?)

It (and it) is elitism masking ignorance. It is the opposite of question 7. They are pretending you are not privy to some common knowledge. But the palimpsest is a lie.

Have you ever seen that internet meme "the game?". You read "oh no, I lost the game!", usually on youtube comments. 'it' is a lot like that. Read here for 'the game' http://ilostthegame.org/ . Stupid, isnt it? It is pretending something into existence.

Quote:
9. I admit, I'm ashamed to ask this one, but I'm going to ask it anyway. When NTs go to the lake, and they want to go swimming, but they didn't bring a swimsuit, why do they take their socks off but leave everything else on? If you're going to jump in the lake fully clothed, why is it so important to remove one's socks? I get screamed at for frequent violations of this NT rule, yet no one can explain the logic to me.

Because the socks let mud and sand in, but it cant get back out. In the case of sand, you get abrasions on your feet, especially between your toes. You have to leave the rest of your clothes on so you are 'decent'; socially acceptably dressed.

Quote:
10. What makes some music cool, and other music uncool? I do understand that, if it's on my iPod, it's not cool music. My brother told me I listen to women's music. How does one know if it's men's music or women's music? I've asked NTs this before, and I'll ask them again, where is there a category for gender in the mp3 tags? I don't see it!

See my answers to questions 7 and 8. Dont listen to your brother. Enjoy what you enjoy. Question number 5 addresses this as well. You wont ever be happy by emulating the tastes of others.

Quote:
The people I chat with on on-line chat sessions refer to themselves as "cheesepodders". They download and listen to music they say is uncool, and they're proud of it! One of the people I chat with on-line proudly proclaims "I can out-cheese anybody, any day." They're all NTs, and they told me nobody ever criticizes their taste in music. Why do they get to listen to anything they please, not get criticized, and I don't??

Ironic cool. And in their case, outright lying. I am sure they get criticism all the time.

They decide that they are cool and they ignore anyone that says otherwise. You should do this too. Think of the etymology of the word cool. It suggests a pleasantness in the absence of heat. Cool under fire, right?

So too is it a certain sort of grace in the face of criticism. Enjoy what you like, and ignore the protests and unkind words of others.

If you need any clarity, I will enjoy your further questions. Please ask them.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 3:26 pm

TimsMom wrote:
Quote:
2. When people tell other people where they're from, how large does the municipality need to be before people will admit to being from it? My family lives in Clear Lake, SD. They tell everyone else they're from Watertown, SD. They're not from Watertown, they're from Clear Lake. I have cousins from Colorado that do the same thing. They live in Brighton, CO, but they tell everyone they're from Denver. They're not from Denver, they're from Brighton! When I ask them about it, they get annoyed.

I'm from New York state, but I live in England. People ask me if I'm from Canada and I say no, I'm from New York. They then either tell me that they have always wanted to see New York City or that they at some point did visit New York City. I am not from the city, so I elaborate and tell them I'm from central New York. I then go on to give them a sense of where I lived, Cayuga, a very small town. They have no idea where this is most of the time, so I then explain that it was about a 3ish hour drive to the Canadian border, then they sort of know what I mean. I think this is why people use more widely known geographical landmarks when explaining where they are from...maybe.

Hi TimsMom. Glad to see you are still around here after the necessity which caused you to sign up. :) I hope you are finding our community interesting?

I am Canadian. I think that people over there fail to understand the immensity of north American countries.

I once worked with a lady from Winkler, Manitoba, Canada. As a teen she had taken a trip to Germany after the fall of the Berlin wall and made friends with a another young lady there.

This young lady said to Connie(my coworker) that perhaps she would visit Connie in Canada, and she explained that she had an aunt in Toronto.

She said to Connie that her aunt could drive her to Winkler, Somehow failing to understand that it was about 2-3 days driving total.

On the other hand, I am sure that when you moved to England you became aware that 3 hours driving in Europe will cross 1-3 countries. Its a little mindboggling to me. I am 5 hours from my provincial Capital, and about 4 days from the national capital.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 3:32 pm

"Have you ever seen that internet meme "the game?". You read "oh no, I lost the game!", usually on youtube comments. 'it' is a lot like that. Read here for 'the game' http://ilostthegame.org/ . Stupid, isnt it? It is pretending something into existence. "

ARGH!

You got me!

I like to ho check friends in an MMO I play, it's obnoxious but amuses me to no end.

'Hey.'
"?"
'Jas' ho checkin'.'
"BLAST!"

Incidentally, the pretending something into existence is basically my thoughts on religion. >.>

30 Nov 2009, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Like when people say "I dont care what people think". Well, that means they really do. Most NTs will they act as though they believe the statement, and then later conveniently forget either the statement, or the fact that the teller actually does care.

Funny, when I say it, I really mean it because I am not going to sit here and fret what if someone thinks this or that and I am not going to care if somone thinks I'm rude and waste my time trying to convince them I'm not, sameas if someone thinks I'm ret*d. If someone doesn't like me, who cares.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 4:13 pm

Kevin_I wrote:

To be fair, I just tell most people I'm from Manchester as I don't generally want people knowing where I really live as it is the epitome of what a scumhole really is. However, if I don't like someone, because of the dangerous reputation that where I live has, I will say, 'I'm from Moss Side, me'. It usually makes people turn away in the other direction and not bother me again. But then my work colleagues and friends know where I live and yes, it would annoy me if they said I live in Didsbury instead of Moss Side, not only because their information is wrong but because Didsbury is a much nicer (and more expensive) area, grrr!! !

Kevin_I wrote:

This I don't understand. Why can't they just get it right? Or is this a pre-requisite for being 'normal'?

zer0netgain wrote:
Wanna piss them off? Give it to them with seconds included.

:lol:

Kevin_I wrote:

This is referring to neediness or clingyness, but then others appear to have already addressed this.

zer0netgain wrote:
Women (for some reason I can't fathom) seem to like being treated like dirt. The more effective way to attract a woman is to make her feel that you really don't find her worthy of your attention. This makes you a challenge, and I suppose NT women are drawn to a challenge. Same reason they will pursue a worthless jerk over a nice guy...the challenge of "saving" him.

Let me try to clear this up for you. Although I'm not going to dispute that there are probably women out there who like this kind of challenge (each to their own I suppose), I do believe this is a self-esteem issue. A lot of people, particularly those that are not of aspie/autistic persuasion, are highly influenced by the media. Women are constantly made to feel inferior or far from perfect by the media because of the array of pretty actresses, models and porn icons. These women are constantly thrust in our faces and we are told that if we don't look like them, think like them, dress like them etc, we are plain, fat and/or ugly. A lot of women fall for this hook, line and sinker. But then it really doesn't help when you get some men who will actually put you down for not aspiring to be as 'sexy' as some of these people and will, therefore, not give you the time of day. I think that women who feel like this are then grateful for any attention they get, even if it's negative. This attention, although not necessarily liked, seems to be favourable to being ignored and, consequently, 'left on the shelf'.

I once had a guy tell me he liked me, despite the fact that I was 'plain', didn't have 'Jordanesque (in other words, disproportionately massive) boobs', I was too short, too pale and my hair wasn't the blonde colour he liked. However, he said that the fact that I was slim with a good enough figure was something that meant I wasn't a total loss attractionwise. As you can imagine, I never dated him. He isn't the only man to say stuff similar to this to me either. It's almost as if some men feel that they need to let you know that you should be honoured they like you, even though you don't tick any boxes when it comes to physical attraction. I would never dream of treating a man like this, ever. I know I'm plain, I'm not stunning and I never will be unless I wear a mask (or ridiculous amounts of make-up :lol: ). But I don't care, but then I don't want people pointing out as a fault either, which some men and the media feel it is their right to do.

Kevin_I wrote:
5. More NT dating advice that makes zero sense: "You need to be happy being single before you can be happy with someone else." This is circular logic. Observe the circular logic, "Why are you unhappy?", "Because I don't have a girlfriend.", "Why don't you have a girlfriend?", "Because I'm unhappy.", "Why are you unhappy?", "Because I don't have a girlfriend." This could go on forever.

This is simply telling you that you have to be happy within yourself first before you get a girlfriend. Most people (both men and women) are attracted to those that are secure in themselves and happy to be who they are.

Kevin_I wrote:

It's like when I was at school. I was bullied and if I stuck up for myself, I was the one that was apparently in the wrong according to the teachers, meaning the bullies got away with it. Society favours bullies, and this is why society is in the mess it is in and why it really sucks.

Kevin_I wrote:
7. Why are certain fanaticisms acceptable but others aren't? My brother is far more fanatic about sports than I am of my own interests, but somehow my interests are odd. The difference is, when he watches the game on TV, he screams as loud as he possibly can. I don't know what this is supposed to accomplish. Somehow, my brother screaming in front of a TV that's 188 miles away from the stadium will help his team win? This doesn't make sense, because I don't scream "woo-hoo" as loud as I can while pursuing my own interests.

I've never really understood why making primitive noises while watching football is considered normal, whereas wanting to expand my knowledge (something I do relatively quietly and harmlessly, i.e. I am not disturbing anyone by making stupid primitive noises) is considered odd. I know it's the whole 'following the crowd' thing i.e. it's cool to like football and not to read up knowledge, but it makes you wonder, who on Earth started this trend? The mind boggles.

Kevin_I wrote:
10. What makes some music cool, and other music uncool? I do understand that, if it's on my iPod, it's not cool music. My brother told me I listen to women's music. How does one know if it's men's music or women's music? I've asked NTs this before, and I'll ask them again, where is there a category for gender in the mp3 tags? I don't see it!

They're all NTs, and they told me nobody ever criticizes their taste in music. Why do they get to listen to anything they please, not get criticized, and I don't??

This is the whole 'following the crowd' thing again really. But then, once again, I would like to know the first ever person who decided what you should listen to in order to be cool. I say listen to what you like, what makes you happy, screw everyone else, they aren't important.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 5:06 pm

Fiz wrote:
[
I once had a guy tell me he liked me, despite the fact that I was 'plain', didn't have 'Jordanesque (in other words, disproportionately massive) boobs', I was too short, too pale and my hair wasn't the blonde colour he liked. However, he said that the fact that I was slim with a good enough figure was something that meant I wasn't a total loss attractionwise. As you can imagine, I never dated him. He isn't the only man to say stuff similar to this to me either. It's almost as if some men feel that they need to let you know that you should be honoured they like you, even though you don't tick any boxes when it comes to physical attraction. I would never dream of treating a man like this, ever. I know I'm plain, I'm not stunning and I never will be unless I wear a mask (or ridiculous amounts of make-up :lol: ). But I don't care, but then I don't want people pointing out as a fault either, which some men and the media feel it is their right to do.

[.

Hey- we know the same guy and I didn't date him either, for the exact same reason you didn't. He told me I had beautiful eyes but my nose wrecked the overall facial package. Too bad about the nose. Such nice eyes wasted on a face with that nose. Did I want to go out for coffee with him? No I did not. My nose smelled a rat.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 5:09 pm

Janissy wrote:
Fiz wrote:
[

[.

Hey- we know the same guy and I didn't date him either, for the exact same reason you didn't. He told me I had beautiful eyes but my nose wrecked the overall facial package. Too bad about the nose. Such nice eyes wasted on a face with that nose. Did I want to go out for coffee with him? No I did not. My nose smelled a rat.

It would seem your nose isn't that bad after all then :lol: . What an idiot though to say something like that and stiil expect that you will date him...

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 6:03 pm

My ten things about NTs I dont get

#1 - #4: Everything I'm discussing in this thread. Which goes to show how irritated and illogical I think this is about NTs.

#5 The constant apathy and ridicule by NTs of emotionally/socially weak people...or just aspies in general. I just dont get their motivation for this at all. Even the so-called good-hearted NTs are constantly aching to get a chuckle from us just trying to be serious. Nothing I can say or do or like cant be expressed without someone laughing at me and calling it 'cute'. Basically I cant be myself without even my own friend laughing at me for it.

Simply put it: hypocrisy: If an NT feels hurt, they are given and deserved sympathy. If an aspie gets hurt, it's either funny...or no one gives a crap.

#6 Another form of classic NT hypocrisy: NTs when they get on my sh*t for improperly cleaning up or using their property when they're constantly all over mine without my complaints

#7 This might not be an NT thing but in my case, I never got into the whole "take pictures of everything, everwhere and everyone" aspect of life. Sure it's a great way to preserve memories but it feel kinda a waste of paper or CDs. I rely on my own brain to remember things even though it's not the best. The fact that I got to experience certain aspects of life is good enough for me but the memorabilia usually ends up being a bunch of worthless junk, IMO

#8 Everyone on the planet knows that people apply for jobs because they need money. So I feel alot of NT work-interview questions such as "why do you want to work here?" or "What are your life goals" are pointless if you're applying for a little mediocre job to get you by for a small amount of time.

#9 This is probably the one big thing I dont get about NT romances:

Why do 95% of the NTs marry or get engaged to people THEY KNOW they are not going to get along with?! I swear basically every NT couple I know has a guy with completely different interests/personalities from the girl and vice versa and thus the constant arguing begins. I dont understand how these couples can base themselves under the concept of "opposites attract", especially when it gets to the point where they cant stand being under the same roof with one another and then you have the girl or the guy constantly leaving the other to hang out elsewhere. Why do you think the divorce rate is so high? What is so romantic about having to fight and argue with your spouse all the time?

#10 This thread again for good measure...which just goes to show how much I hate this aspect of my AS and how much it has consumed my life.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 8:09 pm

Regarding #2, I'm from Northern VA but I tell people I'm from DC. It's a common thing from where I'm from - if you tell people you're from Virginia they get the wrong idea and think of southern or western VA. So we say we're from DC.