Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

miszt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2009, 12:14 pm

I hated this, up until about 6 months ago, then a bored afternoon lead me to bbc iplayer which had the entire 1st and 2nd series of the new version, I was hooked :D surrealist interdimensional mischief, tickles my brain in all the right places, any other fans? After watching the first 2 series within a few days, i watched the second 2 the next week (subsequently got told off by my ISP lol), then all the specials :lol: i'm now impatiently waiting to see what mayhem is going to ensue after The Waters of Mars, i'm sure he will regain his usual moral self-rightousness and right the universe again, but i like that he lost control a bit, for once!

The only thing I dont like about Dr Who, are some of the moral stances it occasionally takes (depends on the writer I guess! any favorite writers?) which imo do not actually fit in with the idea of Dr Who, and the way he views life, the universe and everything. (Hitchhickers fan aswell I am! :D ) but of course that probably has more to do with the way i view the universe, than the writers getting it wrong hehe

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 2:51 am

The show has been going for about a million years but Dr Who is still an idiot.

He lands on some planet in his broken Tardis and goes for a walk outside where he is ALWAYS captured by nasty aliens.

I wouldn't go outside without full body armor and a BIG ray gun but he just strolls out every time.

He never thinks: "Wait! the last 100 times I have gone out unarmed I have been captured by nasty aliens"

Can anyone say "STUPID"?

miszt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Dec 2009, 8:06 am

Brilliant, not stupid :)

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 2:51 am

Wombat wrote:

He lands on some planet in his broken Tardis and goes for a walk outside where he is ALWAYS captured by nasty aliens.

I wouldn't go outside without full body armor and a BIG ray gun but he just strolls out every time.

He never thinks: "Wait! the last 100 times I have gone out unarmed I have been captured by nasty aliens"

Can anyone say "STUPID"?

He uses his brains to get out of situations. It is more like bad luck that he gets into those situations in the first place. And he almost never uses direct force or firearms to deal with a foe, although on a few occasions, he has. But virtually never as a first resort.

On sabbatical...

Kalikimaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2009, 10:20 pm

Wombat wrote:
Can anyone say "STUPID"?

Not stupid, more a choice of lifestyle.

It's gotten pretty heavy in recent episodes, but I really fell in love with the show because I just happened to catch the premier...and it was about plastic being possessed by aliens. That was so trippy it hooked me!

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 11:06 pm

After "The Waters of Mars" is the animated episode "Dreamland" Then followed by the Christmas Special. Quite possibly 3 parts. Then Matt Smith will take over as the 11th Doctor for series 5

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2009, 6:05 am

This show is great :) , i have been borrowing the old episodes from the library and watching the David Tenant series on TV. The last dvd i watched, i noticed a blooper where a microphone was clearly visible in the scene. :lol:

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 7:22 pm

MattD wrote:
This show is great :) , i have been borrowing the old episodes from the library and watching the David Tenant series on TV. The last dvd i watched, i noticed a blooper where a microphone was clearly visible in the scene. :lol:

There are other such bits in stories. During a fight scene in The Aztecs, the edge of the set is visible. In fact, the restoration documentary on the DVD not only points it out, but shows that if all the picture was shown (not normally possible with telecine transfers), it shows the edge of the painted backdrop as well. Although the Restoration Team could replace this and more things using digital technology, they rarely do so unless it is a special edition of the story. I think that they animated a wrench flying off an exploding control panel in The Pirate Planet.

On sabbatical...

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 2:42 pm

If you go on dailymotion.com you will find every single episode of the old series 1963-1989 you have to type the title of the episode and it comes up

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 3:30 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
If you go on dailymotion.com you will find every single episode of the old series 1963-1989 you have to type the title of the episode and it comes up

ooo sweet! 8) thanks for the link!! I've seen most of the classic series already, but still haven't seen most of Jon Pertwee's stuff.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 9:52 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:

That is magical, thank you! I've been wanting to watch the old series for a while and now I can!

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 12:07 am

Quatermass wrote:
Wombat wrote:

Can anyone say "STUPID"?

He uses his brains to get out of situations. It is more like bad luck that he gets into those situations in the first place. And he almost never uses direct force or firearms to deal with a foe, although on a few occasions, he has. But virtually never as a first resort.

They make a big reference to that use of weapons in The End of Time.

The Doctor is man of the road. As he said to the master, he doesn't want to control the universe, he just wants to see it. It's a bit like On The Road really. Just your Tardis, you sonic screwdriver and your wits.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 12:53 am

Y'know, it's true... Even if you assume that he likes living on the edge, or that he has gotten depressed enough from all he's been through that death has lost its dread and he almost longs for it, well... what about the human companions he loves so much? He just hops right out and drags them along.

On the other hand, if he didn't, the show would be like all the other sci-fi shows out there. You get the ones that actually think about the scientific part of things, and then you get the ones that stray so far from established scientific fact that they might just as well be called fantasy. This one's the latter. I find it impressive, in fact, that even though the show is shiny and new with cute little Doctors and computer graphics and steamy love interests, it still shares some important qualities I remember from the old ones I used to watch with my dad.

- The effects are pretty good... but not perfect. No, just cheesy enough, yet just real enough... no more tinfoil aliens, no, but cheesy in modern terms.
- the Doctor runs around with humans and spends about half his time on Earth.
- John Smith, sonic screwdrivers, that old police box thing, etc.
- Every episode seems to have a story in which events are rocketing out of control and a moment's hesitation will cause the destruction of everything from a single planet to the whole of space-time from beginning to end... All because of something so utterly silly that you ask yourself why you're biting your nails...
- and speaking of silly, even though you know better than to take it too seriously, still you wonder... A whole planet turned into the Master? Wouldn't at least a few of the spares start yelling, "No, I'm giving the orders!" And the little nano-doctors can't figure out that the gas mask is inorganic but they do understand the phrase, "Yes, I am your mummy? How can that metal dog roll through all the rocky caves? And does that scarf regenerate? Because my dad swears it got pieces snapped off in every show and never got any shorter.
- running. Donna wasn't kidding. When I think back on my teen years watching Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy on PBS, I remember sitting in a recliner munching Doritos and picante sauce and on the TV people were running.

I was confused by that last special, and anyone who hasn't seen David Tennant's last one, don't read any further because there's spoilers here, but...

When did Mickey get involved with Martha? I though Alonso died, and how did he end up in the space bar, and furthermore how did the Doctor know Alonso would be interested in Jack? Does someone like Jack really need anyone to help him pick up people (especially with that jacket, that's very adventurous looking)? I get how he might have known about Sarah Jane's boy and the car, and I suppose a winning lottery ticket was very appropriate for someone like ordinary Donna. And the part with him seeing Rose before they met made plenty of sense considering where she ended up, although I thought she came from the 80s with her original hairstyle and all, but never mind that.

Anyway... well, as for stupid, the whole show from the 60s to now could be called that. It's just kinda silly. I like it. I might even like the new guy.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 4:55 am

irishwhistle wrote:

When did Mickey get involved with Martha? I though Alonso died, and how did he end up in the space bar, and furthermore how did the Doctor know Alonso would be interested in Jack? Does someone like Jack really need anyone to help him pick up people (especially with that jacket, that's very adventurous looking)? I get how he might have known about Sarah Jane's boy and the car, and I suppose a winning lottery ticket was very appropriate for someone like ordinary Donna. And the part with him seeing Rose before they met made plenty of sense considering where she ended up, although I thought she came from the 80s with her original hairstyle and all, but never mind that.

Anyway... well, as for stupid, the whole show from the 60s to now could be called that. It's just kinda silly. I like it. I might even like the new guy.

I think the Mickey/Martha thing was shown on Torchwood but I didn't see it.

I can't remember if Alonso died. I think with that ending they were basically just paying homage to every character that's been a major part of it for the past 5 years. I can only really imagine maybe Jack and possibily Sarah Jane coming back again. It was just a bit of a final farewell before the new series takes over - which they're actually calling Series 1. It's going to get confusing!

That said Series 1 wasn't really Series 1 either. :?

miszt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jan 2010, 8:26 am

Remeber that Doctor Who is not a Linear story, twisty-turny, just like time, The Doctor makes a point of this several times, and also hints at being able to see time and reality in a very diffrent way to Humans. Also impossible things are another theme of Doctor Who which crops up frequently.

Personally I thought the last 2 epsiodes over xmas where RUBBISH, great idea, very badly excuted, was very dissapointed :? also thought that Matt Smith was copying David Tenanats style far to much, i hope he develops his own, but then I am being very judgemental considering he woz on screen for all of 10 seconds lol

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 11:16 am

Wombat wrote:

Can anyone say "STUPID"?

If he did that, and fought off the aliens right away, the show would be over in 10 minutes! Wheres the fun in that? :P