Are you really autistic? my thoughts on this

Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 4:56 pm

glider18 wrote:
And now for an added something off topic. I need help. I do have something that gives me problems that is co-morbid with my AS. Though I am not officially diagnosed with this---I am 99.999999999% sure that I have OCD. OCD makes me a constant checker of doors, light switches, where I placed my keys and billfold, etc. This has come in handy at times when my wife leaves the iron plugged in and turned on by accident, and I discover it. But...there are issues with OCD that are miserable. For example, everytime I buy something expensive (such as the model railroad house that was custom built), I do some innocent little thing like reattach a loose gutter for example and then feel that I may have hurt the structural integrity of the model by exerting too much force on the part that was loose and thus damage the model---even though nothing is hurt on it---it's just a feeling I get. When I got a big telescope years ago, I adjusted something on it and the mount moved and I feared I had damaged the telescope by hurting the mounting mechanism and thus cause the clock drive to malfunction. I called the company, and they assured me it was fine. I had matching symmeterical windows put in our house, afterwards I spend a month of measuring them to make sure they were perfectly symmetrical---and they weren't. I thought about moving them. But eventually I got ok with it---and it hasn't bothered me since. With my tattoos, I am in constant fear I will do something to damage one of them like by stretching the skin too much or by rubbing too hard with a towel after a shower. And after I make a post on WP, I feel like I have to re-check and proofread for errors in grammar, usage, and mechanics. Well, I am not proofreading this post 8O :D. Does this belong in The Haven? I don't think so, it isn't causing me grief really, I realize these things are in my mind and I usually get over them...but I still wanted to discuss them with you and say that I have problems like everyone else here.

Thank you for listening and being so acceping of me as a member of WP. I truly value every comment made.

glider18
I am dx'ed with OCD and I check my alarm clock, the time, if the oven on, if I have my keys, if I have my checkbook, if the door is locked, etc. Thing have to be in a certain order and I have a fit if they are not.

05 Dec 2009, 5:12 pm

Quote:
So the reason for this thread---to hopefully add my support to the members here, who like me, have either questioned their diagnosis in the past, or are currently questioning it. I feel fortunate in my confidence of my diagnosis today, but a year ago I was still wanting to know for sure that it was correct. And I wish that for everyone who questions their diagnosis---that you may find the peace in your diagnosis.

I have also questioned my diagnoses in the past wondering if it was a misdiagnoses or not. Like rather if I am this way because of my hearing loss caused it so my mind took different pathways, or I am just shy so I withdraw from people and don't look at people. If I would look at people, I would read body language and non verbal cues. I like being alone because I learned how in 6th grade, reason why I started not having friends was because their interests changed and we had no things in common so I went for the younger kids. My anxiety and stress makes me mimic the symptoms so it seems like I have more. I eat the same food because it's easier than standing there in the store looking to see what food to buy wasting my time so buying the same food is easier, same as preparing it when I need to eat.
But my therapist said me thinking this way just confuses me.

I can find so many excuses for my traits and go "everyone does this" and I'm normal again or think what I'm doing is not AS related due to the reasons I listed above. So I don't think about what I do is AS or not. I just be myself. Not everything I say or post here is AS related because I don't focus on the label and don't want to.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 06 Dec 2009, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 7:51 pm

[quote="glider18]

And now for an added something off topic. I need help. I do have something that gives me problems that is co-morbid with my AS. Though I am not officially diagnosed with this---I am 99.999999999% sure that I have OCD. OCD makes me a constant checker of doors, light switches, where I placed my keys and billfold, etc. This has come in handy at times when my wife leaves the iron plugged in and turned on by accident, and I discover it. But...there are issues with OCD that are miserable. For example, everytime I buy something expensive (such as the model railroad house that was custom built), I do some innocent little thing like reattach a loose gutter for example and then feel that I may have hurt the structural integrity of the model by exerting too much force on the part that was loose and thus damage the model---even though nothing is hurt on it---it's just a feeling I get. When I got a big telescope years ago, I adjusted something on it and the mount moved and I feared I had damaged the telescope by hurting the mounting mechanism and thus cause the clock drive to malfunction. I called the company, and they assured me it was fine. I had matching symmeterical windows put in our house, afterwards I spend a month of measuring them to make sure they were perfectly symmetrical---and they weren't. I thought about moving them. But eventually I got ok with it---and it hasn't bothered me since. With my tattoos, I am in constant fear I will do something to damage one of them like by stretching the skin too much or by rubbing too hard with a towel after a shower. And after I make a post on WP, I feel like I have to re-check and proofread for errors in grammar, usage, and mechanics. Well, I am not proofreading this post 8O :D. Does this belong in The Haven? I don't think so, it isn't causing me grief really, I realize these things are in my mind and I usually get over them...but I still wanted to discuss them with you and say that I have problems like everyone else here.

Thank you for listening and being so acceping of me as a member of WP. I truly value every comment made.

glider18[/quote]

OCD and attention to detail are different, you are doing detail, not turning on and off the same light switch for hours.

I build machines and models, and just putting together a gear set takes perfection, or it will fail. bearings, shims, preload, backlash, mating surfaces, all have to be perfect. It also has to be clean, and lubed, and if any one check is out, it has to be taken apart, and start over.

I picked up on that with your HO Scale, I know the type, and Dioramas, miniture paintings, one hair brushes, and many other fields that perfection is the standard.

I am a scratch builder, card stock, Elmers glue, cutting tools, and over all surfaces, such as a 36" wingspan, every point must be semetrical. All surfaces must be faired, smoothed to the curve, and when they are, another coat run just for surface tension over the whole surface. 600 grit is course, silk polish is better, and hand rubbed crosses the 1500 line per inch that the eye sees as mirror. It is not of course, so wax, several coats applied thin, 1/10,000", and rubbed out between coats brings out the boundry layer, the mathematical surface between wing area and air.

Like a boat design displaces water, and is tested by how this moving displacement works in various wave patterns until it fails, the wing displaces air, has moving stresses, and pulling out of a dive, at some point the wing will fold or just tear off. The art is, building just strong enough to survive the conditions encountered, and over building works to early failure, for an extra few ounces becomes massive inertia in high speed manuvers.

An ounce at the wing tip is very different than an ounce where it connects to the body, as from the center of mass out all dynamics are a sphere. All force converges inward to the center, all mass decreases out to the edge, and design places structural design above materials design.

In the arts of perfection, such as motorcycle racing, a fairing that has a 1/10 MPH advantage, considering all else is perfection, over a 12 hour race, willl finish 1.2 miles ahead.

My check lists contain things that can only be tested in the mind, and then checked in time trials.

Wheels are balenced to a 1/10 ounce standard, but the person who takes a file to that can get within 1/1000 Oz. and at 160 KPH, the differance shows.

On an engine the crank shaft is often Grams out by factory standards, race standards are Micrograms, and with a surface polish, for casting flash cause turbulance in oil, and are weak edges where failure can start. The same for rods and pistons, reducing the weight, matching the mass, polishing the surface, when there is less it is stronger, with low resistance, and little out of balance.

There are forces that work to move you forward, and forces that produce only drag and waste effort, lower potential, cause inharmonious vibrations, friction, cause bearings to wear unevenly, egg shape wear patterns, and even when everything that can be done is, a rough fairing edge can cause an unequal drag, a curl of turbulant drag, vast performance differance on turning left or right, for the medium you are moving through is the main factor.

Going for the record, days with low air pressure, low humidity, will show higher performance than humid and high pressure days.

We do not race every day, but must be race ready, knowing where your keys are helps.

This type of thinking is why it is safer to fly coast to coast at 600 MPH, than to go to the bathroom in your own home. You are right to run a personal, keys, wallet, check, and a home check, for homes kill more people than automobiles.

Going back a few geneations, where skills come from, he who always knew where his spear was, who watched for Saber tooth tigers, was the one who lived. Being personally prepared, my kit is tight, observent of the local conditions, when a bucket of water can stop a fire, or waiting and nothing will, and being prepared for things that do not happen often, but are almost 100% over time, is just sensable living.

Applied Autism, why all the Inventors I have met are autists, why the best machinists and model builders are, why the ability to direct the mind into a narrow focus over time produces great works, attention to detail, for everything is a collection of details, does define the "Differance in thought and perception" we call Autism.

When I look at a machine I do not understand, I seek to understand the function of the parts, and overall function becomes clear. I can fix machines I have never seen, and then design something that is better than the fifty year old design that has been carried forward without question.

I do not seek a therapist to help me accept the old design, to stop my thought that this can be done better, I write it up with drawings and send it to the Patent Office. My reactions to modern life are that it is an old system carried forward, some which are tradition accepting a lack of function, and some, that the skills I have do apply to the world I live in, and only Applied Autism is going to work for me.

A Masters in English Lit almost assures no ability to write a book. They are advanced consumers, can compare others, but not create, great writers come from within, have something to say, can tell stories, and don't worry about English majors. The perfection is in the story told, not in the penmanship.

Books do not come from the New York Book Factory with Ivy League English Majors. The Patent Office is not a Government program for producing inventions. The worst person to see for advice has a Degree in Psychology. The designs of Engineers cause humor on the shop floor, and are corrected into something that can be made with the tools, standard parts, and can be serviced.

What are the parts? What is the function of each? How do they work together? Applied Autism.

I have a word for NTs, Customers. Almost all of my repair business has been due to operator error. They pay for my service because they need it. They need it because they lack the wiring for reality, I do Reality, $100 an hour and up.

The Reality of Applied Autism, What are the parts? What is the function of each? How do they work together? Is within and without. Skill sets vary, I have no music of sound, but play a silent music of math and machines, both produce a harmonious whole, nothing missing, nothing extra.

I do these things, I do not do these other things, should I spend the rest of my life curing my lack of knowledge about the Dukes of Hazard TV program, or other NT realities, and try through Psychobabble and drugs to quit thinking of Inventions? It would make NTs happy, for they fear change, and my robot factories will replace any need for them. Questions? I like robots. All programing is Applied Autism, so I chose to follow where my skill set leads.

The real question, if you are really autistic, are you living it fully, or living in self destruction to please others who you will never share understanding? It does seem to make them happy, do you want to make them happy, or yourself?

The Greeks of old said, "In old age there are but two regrets, those things you did, and those you did not, between the two, those you did not are by far the greatest."

Are you living your life?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Dec 2009, 10:50 pm

Thank you again to all of you responding to this thread---it's interesting how many things are being discussed here that is so interesting such as:

Inventor and the discussion of Applied Autism. I haven't heard of that term before. Inventor---you have me very curious on this now. Do you think then that I don't have OCD because it is Applied Autism? That is most interesting. I will check the lock on a door like three or four times within a few seconds and then move on. I like my items in a specific place. But what is most noticeable for me is the rechecking of things like my models and telescopes, etc. to make sure they will are as perfect as they can be. When I paint a model, I am very concerned that the paint lines are straight and not bleeding over onto a piece of trimwork that it shouldn't be on.

Odin, how you do things with checking is like me. Inventor has mentioned some interesting points here about Applied Autism that I wonder if you have done any research on.

Spokane_Girl, sometimes I think like what you are leaning toward here---let's just relax with our autism and move on with our lives. But for some reason, I just keep analyzing certain things about myself. Maybe it is because I have only been diagnosed with AS for a little over a year, and I am still fascinated by the aspects of autism and my life. Thank you for your comments.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 12:03 pm

Applied Autism, and the Big A, are terms first brought out on Wrong Planet, by self.

The Big A joins all the Autism Spectrum, for the fine line Dxes do not hold up. Shared traits and obsessions are found all over, which shows a unity the AS, HFA, slices miss, that with common parts has a common function.

It also speaks of beyond the DSM criteria, Autism prevades my life, it is not just a few traits that could be treated, it is a whole world view.

As you are with models, telescopes, and paint jobs, so are all the people who show restored motorcycles, and they are not autistic. Attention to detail, the search for perfection, for show judges, Concourse Standards, a 1963 bike with a replated original bolt loses points, and the judges know the differance between period and replacement parts made a few years later.

I am pre Dx, way pre, and just adapted. I found I had useful skills, over time I learned to use them.

First comes a focus on the parts of things, their function, which is not the part, just the function expressed. This is important, for the rest is built on these functions. Parts join into systems that have a function of the whole, brought forth by the collection of functions of the parts.

The key to invention, producing the function of the whole with less part functions. Doing the same job with less parts, using less energy, is the defining issue of a patent. So it is not the parts, but the functions, which can be done many ways. If patent A has four parts, and patent application does the same job with three parts, it is worthy of patent.

It is where all knowledge is tested against the known, and where only new and superior thought is granted a patent. It must also be unknown, and the Patent Office has all the world's patents, plus all the books and papers published, and if it is mentioned or even taught toward, no patent.

It is some kind of Technology Olympics. The standard is, the creation of new knowledge.

I find inventors to be autistic. All autism, 1 in 100, all patent holders, 1 in 5,000.

I once wrote a book about it. It takes the focus to look at the parts of objects and derive their function, then the function of parts working together, to produce a result.

Most of the world sees parts, and calls AAA when they have a flat. All good mechanics see function, as all machines have parts, different, that provide the same function. So to troubleshoot a machine, it is in the world of function not performed.

Engines run on compression, fuel, spark. Behind each is a system of functions, and the engine does not run well if any one part of any chain is not functioning, and it is one part in hundreds. As I see function, I got called to troubleshoot when all else failed, and could quickly narrow it down to what it had to be.

So Applied Autism is the result of field testing of systems and patents. Both mechanical systems and concepts in technology follow the same pattern, which just happens to match my brain. Both are reality checks, and I live in reality.

I see this in what you have said about music. Functions produce notes, and you can see the function of a new instrament. You do not learn it, you take your learning to it. Knowing the function, you can then reach the full range it can produce.

Gifted in music? Or gifted in seeing the function of note producing devices? Or double, for the range is not the tune, which is also needed, the patterns of notes.

I have no musical talent, yet we are the same. We both see the function of devices.

That we are both autistic does not explain it. There are others here who have the same vision about other things. Where you just know the pattern of notes, I just know the pattern of machines, and this pattern recognition is the common bond.

A knowledge of the function of parts, of the function of systems of parts, and the desired output of said systems. This is Applied Autism, and I see a lot of it.

As for rechecking things to be sure they are still perfect, when I go out to fight the Wraith invasion I want you on systems. There is a guy just like you in the pit that is the only person who can pull a bike out of the race, call for changing a wheel, because he does not like the way it looks. Aircraft mechanic, atomic power plant, lots of places where that is the skill to have. I do the same checking on my motorcycle, what can be improved? I am always looking for a part better than I have.

Just because the skill set you have is not critical to teaching school, it is a skill set, not a disability.

Because it is defined by NTs, autism is seen as the differance. When looked at alone, I always see the exceptional. There is a lot of confusion about differance, but there is a lot of exceptional skill here.

Applied Autism is taking an inventory of skills, functional range, then looking for where that set fits, and it does.

I could not do what you do, the social load of teaching, I have lots of limits, but I have a world where me and my skills fit perfectly.

The only goal to have is finding your place in life.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Dec 2009, 10:32 pm

Thanks for the great information Inventor. I read through your post and it makes a lot of sense. I will give it more attention tomorrow when my mind is more awake, but from what I can tell, it is most interesting. I can tell you have studied this a lot in coining your term.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 4:07 pm

I've noticed that as well, Inventor.

I was never happy with things just as they are, gotta make sure it is just as it should be.

Though I'm more of a jury-rig type inventor with day to day objects, can a piece of wire twisted just so fix this? Can I brace that against this better? Can I whittle that edge off in order to smooth the action out fully?

My numeral/theoretical inventions though, they follow the pattern you're talking about.

Never thought about that really, wild.