Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Snusfenrik
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2009, 11:44 pm

Hello!

I am new to this forum, so please be gentle!
(pretty obvious since I'm posting in the "Getting to know each other" section)

I have had a few visits to this site earlier, but I have just recently started to really get to know my diagnosis.
It was pretty obvious that I was diffrent in early childhood, but I took some time before I finally got my AS diag around the age of 9/10, if I remember correctly.
I have been living most of my life so far as if I didnt have AS, but from time to time reality kicks in, for better or worse.

I did do only so well in school, as nobody really could understand me.
I have had my rough times, but I got my life on track eventually.
Not being the most extreme case of AS, I did finish my school years without it being a total loss.
Later, I served my time in the Army, which did help me a lot. That changed me in a good way, as it made me much better at coping with difficulties in life.
After that I got myself a job in a private security firm, mostly observing and analyzing stuff. So far so good.

But it is first now I really have to get to terms with being an aspie, living my life and planning forward.
I will be a student again in a year or so, and it was there my problems was most evident.

I hope to get to know AS and people living with AS. Hopefully WP will help me understand it all just a little bit better.

Time will show...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 11:45 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 12:34 am

Ufda! Snusfenrik! no. . not Norsk, but lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota for a few years!
Welcome to WrongPlanet!

Merle

tektek
Bronze Supporter
Bronze Supporter

02 Dec 2009, 12:37 am

hi and welcome Snusfenrik :).

you have an interesting background in military service and now as a security analyst... were you in the military as part of compulsory national service or did you join voluntarily?

what are you intending to study when you return to university?

i hope you enjoy your stay here at WP.

*edited for typo.

Last edited by tektek on 02 Dec 2009, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 4:57 am

Hiya Snusfenrik and welcome to the WP. :D

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 6:48 am

Velkommen til Wrongplanet 8)

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 9:10 am

Hello Snusferik, welcome, and enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Snusfenrik
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2009, 2:55 pm

Thank you all :D

tektek: Norway has conscription, so not voluntarily. But I wanted to join anyway, having a huge interest in the military since early childhood. Military stuff, especially military aircraft and vehicles, was one of my main interests. Aside from that airplanes, reading scientific and technical stuff, computers and later also cars. Anyhow, finished at the rank for corporal, having a lot of training in observation and analyzing threats, security holes and such. So no suprise in my next line of work after returning to socitety then. However, I want to expand my horizions a bit, develop myself. My current job is paid ok, but I feel Im not going anywhere. As for what I will study, I dont know yet. I want to do something relating to computers/IT, but I have picked up all kinds of strange interests in several other fields as well.. doing a lot of thinking into the subject, trying to decide on something to study. So I'll have to get back to you on that one.

sinsboldly: Hehe, yeah I've heard there is a lot of people with Norwegian roots up there in Minnesota. Cool:) I have been around in the states a lot when I was younger, but I have never been anywhere near Minnesota. Is it really people still speaking the old language there? I have however met a few Norwegians or people with norwegian roots other places, like down in Houston(my father lived there for 7 years), and I have some norwegian familiy both in the Washington DC area and Boston. And my "family" has a summerhouse up in Vermont(my stephfathers family, if you can call him family. He's Canadian btw), so many summers have been spent there.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Dec 2009, 5:46 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 11:11 pm

Snusfenrik wrote:
Thank you all :D
sinsboldly: Hehe, yeah I've heard there is a lot of people with Norwegian roots up there in Minnesota. Cool:) I have been around in the states a lot when I was younger, but I have never been anywhere near Minnesota. Is it really people still speaking the old language there? I have however met a few Norwegians or people with norwegian roots other places, like down in Houston(my father lived there for 7 years), and I have some norwegian familiy both in the Washington DC area and Boston. And my "family" has a summerhouse up in Vermont(my stephfathers family, if you can call him family. He's Canadian btw), so many summers have been spent there.

They not only speak the old language there, but they haven't modernized anything like the actual Norwegians have . It is like the language is frozen in time, caught in amber like a mosquito. They moved to the new land and struck out across the North American continent in Conestoga wagons and when they got to the plains and lakes of Minnesota and Wisconsin they were so homesick for Norway, they settled there, growing wheat on the broad prairies and forgetting that was what they were trying to get away from! (Well, anyway, that is what Garrison Keeler says :wink: )

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 10:22 am

Velkommen!