Are you sensitive to what people say?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 6:27 pm

Right now, i'm feeling hurt at this moment because right now, i'm feeling sensitive and I HATE IT!! literally!! :cry:

It would just hurt me each and every single time that it happens and not only that, I also sometimes get upset over little things or get paranoid about it :( for example, today, my brother's friends was making a joke and it seemed like he ment it and it really had upset me that I started getting angry and I was told it was a joke....

Then there yesterday, my mate said that I was "boring" just because I had a bottle of water? How could that be boring? and the word "boring" upsets me or makes me angry... but I managed to hold it in and when home and started moaning at myself about it...

Right now, I just wish what people say doesn't upset me.... and I wish I wasn't sensitive... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm just wondering if i'm not the only one?
Are you sensitive to what people say?

03 Dec 2009, 6:45 pm

I was when I was little and then I was very emotional due to hormones so I was finally put on birth control at 13 and it helped. My family could say one little thing and it put me in tears. They got tired of walking on egg shells they finally did something about it.

Now I am not sensitive as much. I mostly laugh at what people say.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 6:57 pm

I was and still am, about some things, but I'm getting less sensitive as time goes by.

I tend to run through some rude songs in my head as a mental mantra, like:

"...the only ones who suffered from it were the landlords, and the creditors, and you know what? ---- them."

"---- 'em all, ---- 'em all, ---- the long and the short and the tall, ---- all the sergeants and WO1s, ---- all the corporals and their ----ing sons..."

"I don't give a ---- about my reputation (I don't give a ----, I don't give a ----)"

And similar. You get the idea. It works for me, though I suppose thinking about fluffy bunnies and rainbows would be nicer. :D

The year is still young.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 7:00 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
I was and still am, about some things, but I'm getting less sensitive as time goes by.

I tend to run through some rude songs in my head as a mental mantra, like:

"...the only ones who suffered from it were the landlords, and the creditors, and you know what? ---- them."

"---- 'em all, ---- 'em all, ---- the long and the short and the tall, ---- all the sergeants and WO1s, ---- all the corporals and their ----ing sons..."

"I don't give a ---- about my reputation (I don't give a ----, I don't give a ----)"

And similar. You get the idea. It works for me, though I suppose thinking about fluffy bunnies and rainbows would be nicer. :D

I've never thought of that idea actually, but I doubt that's ever going to work for me :( I did already try a few techniques and obviously it isn't going to work for me as i'm too nice as a person... and I don't like hurting people's feelings, if I did, i'd be in tears by now :(

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2009, 7:06 pm

((hugs)) I'm sorry you're feeling hurt.

I'm sensitive when I'm feeling down or depressed but otherwise, I pretty much don't care what other people say.

I wasn't always that way. When I was younger, I was very sensitive...to the point where I would cry. As I got older, it seemed like the things that people said really didn't matter. Don't get me wrong, I still care about what some people think, but not as many as before.

I hope you feel better. :)

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 7:33 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I was when I was little and then I was very emotional due to hormones so I was finally put on birth control at 13 and it helped. My family could say one little thing and it put me in tears. They got tired of walking on egg shells they finally did something about it.

I do this!! !! My family says they're walking on egg shells aswell!! !! !! ! I'm not sure if it could be my hormones or my pills not sure what but I'm REALLY sensitive!! !!

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 9:00 pm

I am ridiculously sensitive.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 11:12 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Same here, I used to be very sensitive but got over it, but mostly on my own. I think I became less sensitive once I've established my self-identity over the years. Before, I was really unstable. I can still be quite sensitive, though - it depends on the situation.

Also, becoming upset when someone's making a joke is you being literal and therefore being sensitive, because if it weren't a joke, you would react this way. You just don't catch right away the tone of voice and/or facial expression that implies that it is a joke.

Heh, my parents also say that I'm boring sometimes. And I totally agree. I might be the most boring person on Earth. So what? :)

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2009, 11:42 pm

I'm very sensitive and I worry about everything. I've been told to "man up" and such.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

04 Dec 2009, 1:02 am

I am sensitive to criticism from my family, pretty much everyone else could take a flying leap for all I care.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 3:17 am

The question is:

Would the same people who are saying you are senstitive tolerate the same things directed at them?

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 9:47 am

Only what my parents say.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 3:58 pm

persian85033 wrote:
Only what my parents say.

Same here and also people outside... I find it hard to identify if they are joking or not?

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 12:17 am

serverly, i've been hurt by many things said to me, but i'm slowly getting tougher.

like recently i've been getting attacked on youtube by one guy, first offense i posted a video to get back at him, cause i was hurt, second offense i simply blocked him, i have this sneaky suspision that he knows me somehow, i think he was that guy i met on wow and gave my cell number to. i think that was his revenge but he could be just a random jerk.

on conquer i was hurt on a daily basis by words and actions on that game. not going into detail.

i've even been hurt here by words. not going into detail.

but yeah it happens all the time. to me at least.

2leftfeet
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Dec 2009, 3:08 am

In a word, yes. And it takes someone close to me to effectively point out those times when I am overreacting or over-analyzing; ruminating on every nuance of recent social interactions. When my wife calls me on this score, I (usually) take her advice seriously.

Ironically, I am often crass and insensitive in my offhand remarks to and about other people. Although I seldom realize it until after the fact.

IMHO, social skills are always a work in progress for someone on the Autism spectrum.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 7:57 am

I find that I can be very hurt by what people say, and the tone of voice that they say it in. I've recently had a so-called friend do that to me. I was crying all that night and playing that one special song that I post from time to time, my favourite song.