Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ALacount
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2009, 6:41 pm

The latest trend seems to be "Emo" standing for "Emotional" and it baisickly entails dressing in skinny jeans, wearing dark coloured clothing (mainly black) and having studded/ spiked belts, bracelets etc. And of course on the phycological side it promotes Masacism, suicide and been alone and of course depression.
I find it to be a totally ridiculous craze... For starters, if it focuses on being alone, then why do they all dress the same, and make such bold statements... If they wanted to be alone why should they need to be so open, and seemingly competotive about it? Next, the depression side of it... I bet most "Emos" have never actually had proper clinical depression... I have, and it wasn't something I would go around telling everybody about, and effectively boasting about! And of course finally, and the most bewildering aspect of the trend... Masacism... How can hurting yourself do any good for anybody? It makes a mess... Hurst... get's parents etc. worried... WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS?! This ties directly with the suicide thing with "Emos"... I recently read an article about a 13yr old grl, who after becoming obsessed with being an "Emo" hung herself to make a statement... I'm aware that most "Emos" wouldn't do anything even slightly like that... but it's still stupid to promote suicide! The other weird thing about the "Emos" is theri awfull taste in music... men screaming isn't music... when will they learn!

After reading about "Emos", it seems I should be one (According to what they say at least)... but I'm not an attention seeking nutter who likes to wear black... so I'm safe from their disease!

What are your opinions of "Emos"?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 7:11 pm

I thought Emo was an an effeminate little comedian who carried around a large puppet of an Emu.

Well, maybe they don't all carry bird puppets. Otherwise... :roll:

Honestly, this seems like the same sort of logic used in the 70s and 80s to claim that the music of Black Sabbath and Judas Priest promoted Satanism, ritual murder and suicide. People have their affectations. People do stupid things. If people with similar affectations do similar stupid things, perhaps its not some magical siren song emitted by the affectations - perhaps those affectations attract a specific sort of idiot...

Last edited by Willard on 04 Dec 2009, 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PikaYoshi
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2009, 7:15 pm

A style of clothing has nothing to do with how depressed someone is. :x

That's why I don't like it when the term emo is used. People have arguments over whether they are emo or not. It's not even a real word, so nobody can actually be emo.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 11:16 pm

I can't stand any of the new popular subcultures. Gangsters, emos, "scene" lol. You can dress like a normal (or what used to be normal :roll: ) person if you want. You can listen to whatever music you want. I listen mostly to metal and also a bit of classical and other random stuff that's actually good. I've never identified too strongly with any subculture or "style".

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 11:43 am

It's just one of those stupid new phases. It'll be replaced with something else this time next year, if not sooner.

corruptedsmile
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2009, 5:51 pm

emo used to mean depression and alone and all that stuff but now people are doing it just to fit in which is just plain stupid. but its not like its the first time people did stupid stuff to fit in.

Aspie19828
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2009, 10:40 am

Emo. The first thing that comes to my mind is the rock band: "My Chemical Romance".

SnowWhite88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2009, 3:09 pm

"Emo" is just the latest of many idiotic stereotypes. It will be replaced with something equally stupid later on, I'm sure of that. :roll:

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 7:04 pm

Emo. The first thing to come to my mind is Emo Phillips...

Quote:
When I wake up in the morning, I just can't get started until I've had that first, piping hot pot of coffee. Oh, I've tried other enemas.

You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman: Stuff you pay good money for in later life.

Probably the worst time in a person's life is when they have to kill a family member because they are the devil. But otherwise it's been a pretty good day.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and charge five dollars for the second glass. The refill contained the antidote.

How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.

I discovered my wife in bed with another man, and I was crushed. So I said, 'Get off me, you two!'

I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little children jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming. They don't know I'm only using blanks.

I once had a large gay following, but I ducked into an alleyway and lost him.

I don't know - Emo makes perfect sense to me! :)

prism_tail_rainbows
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2009, 4:19 am

welcome to late 2009, emo in the vein of self-hate, pseudo-depression, my chemical romance and awful poetry has been out for a few years. "emo" today is the scene, some lame brand of hipster that likes hello kitty and dinosaurs.

Mewlvr
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Aug 2010, 2:05 pm

Actually Emo is a style of music :) And personally my favorite type but anyway; not all emos do all that stuff :) They're really nice so don't be hatn' on emos/scene kids.

Etular
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2010, 6:10 pm

Mewlvr wrote:
Actually Emo is a style of music :) And personally my favorite type but anyway; not all emos do all that stuff :)

Agreed. My favourite music fits into the categories of both Emo, Punk and Alternate Rock. Due to this, I will attempt to stand up for them, even if I don't fit the stereotype myself.

ALacount wrote:
The latest trend seems to be "Emo" standing for "Emotional" and it baisickly entails dressing in skinny jeans, wearing dark coloured clothing (mainly black) and having studded/ spiked belts, bracelets etc. And of course on the phycological side it promotes Masacism, suicide and been alone and of course depression.

The clothing section of it, as far as I'm aware, is true - as a sense of rebelling against society, they dress in these clothes that, although legal, are socially unacceptable. Why? Individuality. Ofcourse, then there is the paradox of how it's individual for everyone to dress up the exact same, but meh. You can say the exact same for every other stereotype who dress up in the exact same way to be "individual" (e.g. Goth, Chav, Prep etc.) or "cooler than others".

As for the psychological side, I can't help but sigh at a vast minority of such people. If such self-harm and suicide really was the "latest trend", would half of your classmates not have died by now...? You might perceive it as being a common trait, but very few "emos" appear in media unless they had done something similar (mostly because the media gains popularity from posting such stories). Ofcourse, the aloneness and "depression" is a common trait. More accurately, the belief of severe pessimism and the lack of faith in humanity. While some complain about it, others (combined with their "individuality") try to "make a statement" to get people to notice - via self-harm. Some, not all - as others get enough enjoyment from merely complaining about how awful humans are and life as a human is. In my eyes, it seems to be more of a hatred in humans as a whole than themselves. However, where the Goths that I've met would be all "Kill everyone", Emos would take a more pacifistic approach - making a statement verbally and/or via drastic measures to their own body.

ALacount wrote:
I find it to be a totally ridiculous craze... For starters, if it focuses on being alone, then why do they all dress the same, and make such bold statements... If they wanted to be alone why should they need to be so open, and seemingly competotive about it?

They dress the same to identify eachother (they want to be alone from those who share a different view to them, not those who share their same, united view), and make such bold statements to express their opinions. Again, I point you to other such stereotypes that do similar. Hence, why they are also seemingly competitive about being open - to sway other's opinions to the "truth" and, again, have someone to express their opinions to etc.

ALacount wrote:
Next, the depression side of it... I bet most "Emos" have never actually had proper clinical depression... I have, and it wasn't something I would go around telling everybody about, and effectively boasting about!

They don't necessarily boast about being depressed, as far as I am aware. :P If so, they may actually be referring to "I'm severely upset due to human life having stooped so low and having committed the irreparable actions they have caused" etc. Even so, Emo's are known specifically as being open about their emotions - so, if they're upset, they'll be "depressed". If they're happy, they'll be beaming.

ALacount wrote:
And of course finally, and the most bewildering aspect of the trend... Masacism... How can hurting yourself do any good for anybody? It makes a mess... Hurst... get's parents etc. worried... WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS?! This ties directly with the suicide thing with "Emos"... I recently read an article about a 13yr old grl, who after becoming obsessed with being an "Emo" hung herself to make a statement... I'm aware that most "Emos" wouldn't do anything even slightly like that... but it's still stupid to promote suicide!

The media, more than anything else, are the people promoting "Emo Suicide" and masochism. Again, as you say, such acts are rare.

ALacount wrote:
The other weird thing about the "Emos" is theri awfull taste in music... men screaming isn't music... when will they learn!

You seem oblivious to the fact that Heavy Metal isn't "emo music". :lol: On the otherhand, for example, take Green Day (who people claim to be an "Emo Band") and assess them. Not one song have I heard them doing Heavy Metal shouts and screams. :?

ALacount wrote:
After reading about "Emos", it seems I should be one (According to what they say at least)... but I'm not an attention seeking nutter who likes to wear black... so I'm safe from their disease!

That last part is just plain bigotry, simple as. What would you say if an Emo were to say similar such insults about an Aspie, then claim "Well, I'm not like them, so I'm safe from their disease!". That's exactly the same as what you are saying here. Infact, plenty of people still do treat Aspergers as a disease, so such an example is viable.

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2010, 9:55 pm

I really like how they do their hair. I'm emotional, but I'm not suicidal. If I could I would style my hair emo, but it won't work for my hair type. I think emo guys are really hot!! Emo clothes are cool too but the whole depression and moody thing can be a drag.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 7:02 am

I get called emo all the time because I'm quiet. It's dumb.
I'm far from emo. I have nothing against them, though. I have some emo friends.

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2010, 8:15 am

Guitar_Girl wrote:
I get called emo all the time because I'm quiet.

Kids used to call me 'emo' because of that reason. It was rather annoying.

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2010, 2:25 pm

My sister sometimes calls me emo because I don't show emotion very often, however I'm not emo, and I find the whole emo craze somewhat ridiculous.