Empathising Quotient and Systemising Quotient (EQ SQ) tests

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which type are you according to these EQ SQ tests?
Type E ('female brain') 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Type S ('male brain') 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Type B ('balanced brain') 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Extreme Type E ('extreme female brain') 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Extreme Type S ('extreme male brain') 84%  84%  [ 58 ]
Total votes : 69

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 5:29 pm

EQ=19/SQ=85 extreme systematizing.

I suspect that the writer of the test is using the term 'precision' incorrectly. I do not think of how 'precisely' mountains are formed, because mountains are formed with neither precision nor accuracy; their form is due entirely to the stochastic forces of glaciers and tectonics in the geographic region they reside in. I do, however, think of HOW a specific mountain was formed when I see it.

Precision is the reason that the can claim that "0%" of women are extreme systematizers, when clearly I and several other women here fall into that category; their level of precision is only the nearest whole number.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 9:59 pm

This test has become part of a set of tests topic on this forum:
Set of scientific tests related to Autism Spectrum Disorders

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 11:27 pm

EQ = 17, SQ = 54: Extreme Systemizing. Odd how my SQ score is lower than a lot of others here. Could be ive taken the questions literally, but ive little or no interest in trains (which was a common example). <shrug>

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 4:01 am

EQ=15
SQ=125

chippies
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2009, 7:55 am

EQ = 8
SQ = 104

Extreme Systemizing

I'm female.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 8:08 am

EQ - 39
SQ - 80

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 8:18 am

FallingStar wrote:
I scored a 7 (yes, a 7. As in, severely low) on the EQ test.

Then you scored higher than me. No, I'm not telling.

Another extreme systemiser here, not due to a high SQ score, but due to a way higher score in SQ than in EQ.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2009, 9:08 pm

EQ: 19
SQ: 37
Extreme Systemising

I get that it's calculated by the discrepancy between the two but what does it mean when both your scores are low and you are only "extreme" compared to the other one? Some people's systemising quotient is over 50 points higher than mine.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 8:37 am

TouchVanDerBoom wrote:
I get that it's calculated by the discrepancy between the two but what does it mean when both your scores are low and you are only "extreme" compared to the other one?

Yeah, I was wondering about the same thing.

Mine was: EQ 5 and SQ 44.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

spl89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2009, 10:52 am

EQ: 7
SQ: 99

Bloody hell.

smokiethebear912
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2009, 2:28 pm

EQ: 5
SQ-R: 79
Extreme Systemizer

Raiden
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2011, 9:36 pm

Hi, thought I'd drop by.

EQ: 66
SQ: 27

I assume everyone here is autistic? I am a 24 year old male mathematical researcher. My interests lie mainly in pure mathematics (graph theory, combinatorics of finite sets). [I like theorems like Menger's theorem on graph connectivity and the perfect graph theorem, the EKR theorem, the union closed sets conjecture of Frankl has to be the best conjecture for me.]

I am quite an emotional person. I cry all the time watching movies etc. Sporting events also, although the only sporting event that actually I remember making me cry was the finale of the F1 season in 2008 (formula one). Lewis Hamilton vs Felipe Massa, Ham wins at the last corner of the entire season by passing Timo Glock to take 5th/6th place, I can't remember.

Federer vs Nadal, Federer vs Roddick, in 2008 and 2009 resp. make me a bit emotional. I never get that emotional about team sports, only individual sports. Those are the Wimbledon finals, obviously.

I'm just going to opine/vent a bit (more). Mathematics has a reputation for autistic practitioners, although 95% of mathematicians are in no way autistic. The point is, the autistic strike rate is so low in the general population already, that a few% is (relatively) quite a lot.

I find it kind of foolish to argue against prenatal screening for autism on that basis [anyway, if autism disappeared overnight, mathematics as a discipline would be pretty much unchanged]. It should be a moral thing. Anything that reduces the diversity of people really bugs me.

Anywho, the test clearly does detect autistic or Asperger's tendencies. However it's still pathetically transparent, from my point of view. Particularly the "SQ" part. I know it says "don't think about it", but the questions are so obvious. It's like slapping you in the face, and asking you not to think about it. Impossible. I scored 27 on the SQ. If it had been on mathematics, I could have scored 100. Instead it was on everyday stuff like finance and accounting, which I neither know nor care anything about.

The EQ thing is pretty much the truth. The SQ test I answered honestly but it seemed pathetic. In fact "systemising" anyhow is a pathetic term. The idea that that somehow encompasses engineering, math, physics, biology is just stupid. It's so vague as to be meaningless. It's like saying figure skating and formula one racing both go round in circles; it tells you nothing about figure skating or about formula one racing.

Talking about transparency (in a questionnaire this is a bad thing), Simon Baron Cohen did a questionnaire and found that cambridge mathematics students scored average 22.4 vs 16.7 on the general student population. But like three of the questions in the questionnaire (that's 3 points) were like "do you like patterns in numbers?", which is like saying, "do you like maths at all?" That's 3 points right there. And we all know maths is a bit nerdy, so 19.4 vs 16.7 is nothing to write home about. I guess it reflects the infantile state of the science (not an insult, just the truth).

You have to ask, if a correlation is sufficiently weak, do we need to know? These kind of things can be self-fulfilling prophecies, do we really need people to scientifically "prove" that maths is nerdy? [It is quite nerdy, at least in England, France and to a lesser extent USA - in Europe generally, for example, most maths undergrads (although not profs) are women.]

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 11:24 pm

Scientist wrote:
And the online test I linked to here is the revised version.

Links?

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 11:29 pm

EQ: 24
SQ: 56

Not so bad, yet still considered a high systemizer. I am a female.

MrMagpie
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2011, 12:04 am

EQ: 11
SQ: 74

Extreme Systemizing, no surprise.

As an aside, does anyone else find this whole 'male brain' vs 'female brain' to be a sort of outdated and offensive system of categorization? :roll:

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 12:10 am

EQ=20
SQ=76

Could be worse, I suppose.

MrMagpie wrote:
As an aside, does anyone else find this whole 'male brain' vs 'female brain' to be a sort of outdated and offensive system of categorization? :roll:

Not so much offensive as just odd. I'm male, but nobody would describe me as extremely male.