How common are fakes in online dating profiles?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 9:13 pm

How common are fakes in online dating profiles? An example would be a 70 year old man listed as 20/female and lying about everything.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 9:22 pm

That would be totally misleading. It depends on what you think fake is. I know alot of people put pics up of themselfs from early 20s or so to look attractive and most likely lie about there age a bit. I am not sure but I am just generalizing.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 9:30 pm

From my experience, VERY often are profiles fake. I don't internet date for that very reason.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 10:16 pm

Dhp wrote:
I don't internet date for that very reason.

That was actually what I was trying to get at, because I saw how so many posts here (at WP) viewed online dating as OK. Like there's nothing bad in of itself, but isn't anything on the internet not trustworthy when it comes to meeting strangers? Anything can be a fake.

emc2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2009, 12:19 am

I don't know how it was worked out, but apparently a number of profiles, the people are already in relationships.

Which is not a surprise.

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 8:16 am

Around 69%

matrixluver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2009, 7:49 pm

the first guy I dated from online- totally great, but we didn't click. Stayed friends for awhile. I have a sneaking suspicion he was on the border between shy NT and mild Aspie.

second guy- lied lied lied but wasn't too freaky.

third guy- first class pretentious jerk but he took me to see the Matrix Reloaded which was cool. Got hooked on THAT.

fourth guy- weird but not dangerous. never saw after first date.

fifth guy- had brief relationship but he cheated on me. Player.

sixth guy- MARRIED HIM:)

I turned to online dating because I freak out when a guy approaches me without "permission." It's weird, I know, but it freaks me out for strangers to approach me.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 9:27 pm

matrixluver wrote:
third guy- first class pretentious jerk but he took me to see the Matrix Reloaded which was cool. Got hooked on THAT.

I can see from your name:P

Butcher
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2009, 12:28 pm

I can tell you from personal experience that Yahoo personals has a LOT of fake profiles They seem to be fronts for some sort of scam. That being said, I've met perfectly nice, normal women on there, but be very cautious.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 1:36 pm

Before you meet someone IRL, talk with webcams, or at very least on the phone. That will tell you if they're fake or not.

Online dating does work, though, a relative of mine met his current wife on a dating site.

queenserenity22
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2009, 2:32 pm

Unfortunatley too commom. There are people who use online dating and chat rooms for the wrong and possibly illegal reasons. Most child molesters use chat rooms as a way to find unsuspecting victims, some serial killers and rapists have used dating websites to find people to victimize. My sister told me of a person on craigslist who was seeking single mothers in order to sexually abuse their children. He put in his ad that he lives in a secluded house in the middle of the country and loves kids , if thats not a red flag I don't know what is. some rules of thumb for online dating are to not give out super personal info about yourself (aninimity is your best friend and ally online), some people do lie about their apperiance or job status which isn't the most horrible crime ever commited but it definitely screws with the expetations of the other person. I wouldn't be too happy if someone told me that they had blue eyes, blonde hair, and a muscular build only to find out they actually have brown hair, brown eyes, and are one cheeseburger away from 300 pounds or that they make six figures only to find out that they make mimium wage flipping burgers. I feel that if you are so embarassed of your self that you have to screw with someone by lying about who you are then you are not ready for a relationship and should leave the personals online or otherwise alone. :evil: . The biggest rule of thumb is if the person you are talking to makes you feel uncomfortable for any reason terminate contact with them immeditely and report them don't hesitate to do so because you can save not only you but somebody else from becoming a potential victim of this person. Online dating isn't all bad but there are bad apples out there that have alterial motives and that revel in creating chaos for others but that shouldn't be a reason not to engage in it. You just have to be on the look out for dating decevers. :)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 10:42 pm

fakes are common. Easy to sopt though.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 10:45 pm

OKCupid doesn't have very many of them. Neither does PlentyOfFish.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2009, 10:50 pm

Some of the fake ones a pretty funny though http://www.okcupid.com/profile/fanjeeta?cf=regular

:P

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 10:57 pm

racooneyes wrote:
Some of the fake ones a pretty funny though http://www.okcupid.com/profile/fanjeeta?cf=regular

:P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 11:07 pm

People have used my pictures in fake profiles.
Most fakes use pics of generic hot women though. If you see one and want to check if she is fake before contacting her, www.fakersbusted.com is your friend.