Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

brighteyes39485
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Feb 2006, 3:05 pm

who has dyspraxia? i do. it's a pain in the ass. literally, sometimes lol.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 9:58 pm

My coordination isn't the best, but it's not bad enough to warrant a diagnosis of dyspraxia by far.

By the way, bright yellow on sky blue or lime green is not easy on the eyes. There's not enough contrast between the text color and the background color.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 10:16 pm

Whats dysparxia?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 10:18 pm

It's a medical term for clumsiness.

Incidentally, does "dyspraxia" refer to both fine and gross motor skills, or is there another word for not being able to manipulate small objects well?

I don't have dyspraxia, incidentally; though I can't dance or play sports nearly as well as the average person, I can ride a bike and swim well, and I'm not really tripping over my own feet. I would say I'm on the "low end of normal" when it comes to coordination.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 10:20 pm

It was supposed to be orange. :?

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2006, 2:14 am

I don't have dyspraxia, or atleast I don't think so. I'm a runner, and I march in my school's marching band, and I don't have much trouble moving my legs. I do have that "puppet-like" gait that Tony Attwood talks about in one of his books, but I read that it's a trait of Asperger's; it didn't say anything about dyspraxia. Although I can run and walk well, I've noticed that in my last years of playing fastpitch in middle school (which has been about 3 years now), I let go of the bat after swinging during a game a couple times, which was pretty weird, and kind of funny to some people because once I almost knocked out the catcher. Anyways, could that be a trait of motor clumsiness, even if it came later in my couple years of playing fastpitch? Or maybe it was just a one time thing; it could have been either.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

BladeX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2006, 2:23 am

I don't believe I have dyspraxia. I'm not the best at most sports although I'm really great at catching footballs to the point of being so focused on the ball that one time I caught it and ran into a chest high white metal fence at full speed (I didn't let go of the ball though). I'm not very good with small objects as I find my hands shake to much however. Also, I seem to be a pro at somehow falling UP the stairs all the time...

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2006, 4:17 am

I went through a physical therapy program when I was a toddler to learn how to walk. Apparently, my motor skills were very delayed since I wasn't walking by the normal age. I also had trouble with sports, having been picked last for teams in gym class. As for dancing, I would get laughed at so much when I was younger I was fully grown before I ever tried again.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2006, 12:42 pm

There are 2 differnt types of Dyspraxia, i think there Development and Aquired off the top of my head?. I believe one originally used to be called minimal brain damage syndrome, which is a charming name :? . I find dyspraxics alot of the time are very similair in their manorisms to Aspies but eventually as you get to know dyspraxics you can begin to see there are differances. Mostly to do with the physical balance/co-ordination problems and motor skills that dyspraxics have far more noticeably.

There are alot of intelligent dyspraxics out there though regardless of their problems. Im not sure sometimes who gets it worse but it does seem dyspraxics have a harder time from my experiance.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 8:33 am

brighteyes39485 wrote:
who has dyspraxia? i do. it's a pain in the ass. literally, sometimes lol.

---

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dysp ... praxia.htm
http://www.out-of-sync-child.com/

Sydney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2010, 3:47 pm

I have dyspraxia also. I had lots of trouble. years of people helping to learn to walk strait. If the ground is not even then I start faling over. somtiems I fall over and it is not for any reason. I just fall over. I can not open the door with a key. this is fustraiting. I have trouble with brushing my hair. Also I have the talking type that can be caled dyspraxia or it can be caled apraxia. Not many people know about it. Peopel that do know about it often they do not know how much it can make everythign dificult. Even typing on a key bord is dificult. I am getting beter at this with lots of practice.

Baratos
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Oct 2010, 9:54 pm

I have trouble using escalators and writing.

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 10:42 pm

I don't have dyspraxia.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 11:02 pm

I'm very clumsy and have a funny gait but I don't think I have dyspraxia. At least, it seems like one of those things you're supposed to get diagnosed with as a child or you don't have (which incidentally sounds like some people's view of autism...) I drop items and bump into things frequently, and have poor balance.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 11:06 pm

Callista wrote:
It's a medical term for clumsiness.

Incidentally, does "dyspraxia" refer to both fine and gross motor skills, or is there another word for not being able to manipulate small objects well?

I don't have dyspraxia, incidentally; though I can't dance or play sports nearly as well as the average person, I can ride a bike and swim well, and I'm not really tripping over my own feet. I would say I'm on the "low end of normal" when it comes to coordination.

AFAIK....I think it can vary. While some with dyspraxia may not be able to manipulate small objects well and that's it, others may have other problems with gross/fine motor skills. Others may be able to manipulate small objects well, but might have problems with motor skills in other ways. IOW...it seems like there's a "spectrum" of sorts when it comes to dyspraxia too and much like alot of other medical conditions, it's manifestations often differ from individual to individual.

I think that in people with ASD's, it MIGHT be related to difficulties in procedural memory and maybe only in certain cases. I've read some studies that suggest procedural memory is often deficient in people with ASD's. As opposed to declarative memory, procedural memory usually, if not always, functions involuntarily or unconsciously. Some researchers believe that people with ASD's who do have problems with procedural memory often compensate with declarative memory. Perhaps this might have something to do with why many with ASD's have a well-developed declarative memory. In the case of ASD people with deficits in procedural memory, it may not be the case that they absolutely cannot do things which require intact procedural memory. Rather....they may have to relay on declarative memory to compensate in able to be able to succeed at such tasks.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 11:45 pm

i break just about anything that can be broken and am in awe of people who can write without making mistakes. I also smash into furniture all the time, bruising myself and I'm still amazed that people can ride things with only two wheels. Unbelievable.