Are the following people considered NTs?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Renagade
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2006, 2:56 pm

people with -

OCD
ADD
Tourette's
Dyspraxia
Dyslexia

?

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2006, 3:47 pm

NeuroTypical? Nope.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2006, 3:52 pm

Certainly not

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2006, 6:46 pm

I think that here at WP, the tendency is to use the word "neurotypical" to describe those who would bully somoene with AS or autism. People with OCD, ADD, Tourette's, Dyspraxia, and Dyslexia generally would't fit into that category. So the answer would be no.

LowShoe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2006, 12:56 am

Inadequate as labels ultimately are, I think of it as someone who has an intuitive capability for socializing. This doesn't exclude people with significant neurodiverse traits, as I've known some to pick on those on/close to the Spectrum, out of defensiveness and self-loathing. Such people earn the NT label in the worst sense imaginable. :evil:

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2006, 1:21 am

In the strictest sense, no, those people are not NTs, but many people (myself included) use the term NT to refer to any one who is not autistic. Unlike many autistics I don't consider it remotely derogatory or insulting.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2006, 3:31 am

NTs are the neurologically typical, that is, those that belong to that vast majority of people without a neurological disorder, per definition. In this forum, it seems like "NT" is often used to describe the non-autistic, but that is a bit of a stretch. The original point was to avoid the term "normal", after all.

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2006, 6:49 am

Well, maybe we need a new word specifically for people without an ASD, because I cannot really identify with the difficulties (and / or special talents) of dyslexic people any more than I can identify with the characteristics of the rest of the non-autistic population.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2006, 7:36 am

NA? Non-Autistic. Even though some people would interpret it as Not Applicable... :wink:

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2006, 8:29 am

I think the answer is 'no' but for a different reason than has been put forth. People with an autism spectrum disorder, which as you know includes autism and asperger's, are neurologically different than people not on the spectrum. It has been shown that our brains are wired differently than others, and it is a developmental disorder. Neurotypical would mean people who are not on the spectrum, do not have the neurological difference and do not have this developmental disorder.

OCD, ADD and the other diagnoses you mentioned, while frequently comorbid with ASD, are not developmental disorders and thus I believe brain wiring-wise, people with these disorders without ASD would be considered NT.

But I could be wrong. That's just my limited understanding at 3am :)

Bearsac-Debra
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2006, 12:24 pm

The types you ask of are not really NT. NT, standing for Neuro Typical, which means people whos brain (neuro) is wired in a typical way. The types you ask of are ND neuro diverse. People that are ND have brains wired differently to the typical brain even if different to each of the various ND types.

Confusion comes from people using NT to refer to just those without autism and Asperger's.

There is also the term NA - Not autistic or non autistic.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2006, 4:00 pm

If I remember correctly Sophist is a big proponent of the term NA.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2006, 4:17 pm

Tim_p wrote:
If I remember correctly Sophist is a big proponent of the term NA.

Well I knew I just couldn't be the first to suggest that... It was way too good...

aylissa wrote:
I think the answer is 'no' but for a different reason than has been put forth. People with an autism spectrum disorder, which as you know includes autism and asperger's, are neurologically different than people not on the spectrum. It has been shown that our brains are wired differently than others, and it is a developmental disorder. Neurotypical would mean people who are not on the spectrum, do not have the neurological difference and do not have this developmental disorder.

Really? It sounds like a reasonable argument, too, even though that wasn't how I heard it. And besides, wouldn't this mean that the answer is 'yes'?

And do we know that these other disorders do not require differently wired brains? (And for that matter, do we know for sure that our brains are indeed differently wired? I know it has been put forward, but...)

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2006, 5:52 pm

odeon wrote:
Tim_p wrote:
And besides, wouldn't this mean that the answer is 'yes'?

You're right, the answer to the question posed would be yes. That's what I get for posting at 3am.

AspieGurl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2006, 7:00 pm

It has been proven that people with dyslexia have differently weird brains too. And people with ADD have problems with social interaction and reading others clues.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2006, 7:12 pm

I know a couple of people with dyslexia--they tend to be "artist" types. So they're not mainstream, by any means; but they're much better at communicating than I ever was. I wouldn't call them neurotypical; but they're not socially handicapped like I am.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com