My English teacher wants me to write a screenplay...

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 11:22 am

... based on the Roald Dahl short story "Lamb to the Slaughter". We're adapting it into a short film. I promised the class I would do it, given the fact that I'm the only one who knows about how to write a screenplay. You know how many screenplays I've written? Zero, zilch, null. I strongly doubt I could pull it off. I can't come up with dialogue, I can't set up scenes right, etc. Overall, I'm bound to do a terrible job. Also, see this:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt99081.html

Molly Ringwald in a deep, multi-layered, philosophical sci-fi film? Give me a f*****g break. A nutless, mentally challenged gorilla can come up with a better story with ten times more verisimilitude!

I think I'm just not cut out for screenwriting. I'm more likely going to drop out of school and get a job at McDonald's. Those closest to me say all I need to do is just write, no matter how sh***y the result is. I'm not going to lower myself to writing sub-par potboilers.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2009, 12:14 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:

I think I'm just not cut out for screenwriting. I'm more likely going to drop out of school and get a job at McDonald's.

You will probably regret this.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 4:51 pm

I think it's exciting that you've been given this responsibility. Check out a book about script writing. Then you can block the scenes on a huge blackboard or roll of paper, and maybe ask somebody else to come up with dialogue with you.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 12:18 am

I don't think that they want you to know screenwriting, I think they want you to learn screenwriting...big difference.

Hey, give it a shot; you never know...writing is writing.

MrZAP
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2009, 3:28 am

I love screenwriting. It's really very simple when you get down to it.

What I suggest is that you download the demo of Final Draft 8. It works forever, and pretty much comes with the full program. You just can't save more than fifteen pages in one document, and when you print a watermark say "Final Draft Demo" appears on the page, but these are minor problems when writing a short film.

Final Draft is actually a very simple program to use. After you download it, if you need any help, feel free to PM me.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 11:35 am

MrZAP wrote:
I love screenwriting. It's really very simple when you get down to it.

What I suggest is that you download the demo of Final Draft 8. It works forever, and pretty much comes with the full program. You just can't save more than fifteen pages in one document, and when you print a watermark say "Final Draft Demo" appears on the page, but these are minor problems when writing a short film.

Final Draft is actually a very simple program to use. After you download it, if you need any help, feel free to PM me.

No need. I have, or more precisely, had Celtx. It was on my flash drive, and now its missing.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 3:49 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
... based on the Roald Dahl short story "Lamb to the Slaughter". We're adapting it into a short film. I promised the class I would do it, given the fact that I'm the only one who knows about how to write a screenplay. You know how many screenplays I've written? Zero, zilch, null. I strongly doubt I could pull it off. I can't come up with dialogue, I can't set up scenes right, etc. Overall, I'm bound to do a terrible job. Also, see this:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt99081.html

Molly Ringwald in a deep, multi-layered, philosophical sci-fi film? Give me a f***ing break. A nutless, mentally challenged gorilla can come up with a better story with ten times more verisimilitude!

I think I'm just not cut out for screenwriting. I'm more likely going to drop out of school and get a job at McDonald's. Those closest to me say all I need to do is just write, no matter how sh***y the result is. I'm not going to lower myself to writing sub-par potboilers.

...There was a very famous episode of the old Alfred Hitchcock Presents TV series , I believe directed by Alfred Hitchcock himself , that adapted this story , I suppose its only-ever " official " film version...Obviously , I am many years out of HS .
They assign people to write screenplays in HS to-day ?
She-eeesh !:cry: :-(

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 5:57 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/script ... enplay.pdf
http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/script ... playtv.pdf

Lamb to the Slaughter is a genius idea for a plot.

In a way screenplays suit people who want to transcribe in a regimented and concrete way.

Think in terms of scenes and scene action, rather than descriptive prose.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 8:30 pm

Good news! Today, I got a new flash drive and started work on the Lambs screenplay. I've gotten four scenes written down so far! Yay!

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 8:36 pm

bro', honestly, once you start, it's simple:
step 1- select parts of the story and do a merciless cut
2-cut some more
3-cut even more
4-Important! Read stuff aloud, to see if they fit into the allocated time!
5-cut as needed
6-

or since it's been televised, just google and get the script: link
by hitchcock btw

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 4:18 pm

Everything is going extremely well. Upon completing this, I might see a return of my alleged writing prowess.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 1:06 pm

Completed the screenplay last week! WOOT-WOOT!