Women & Asperger's - Looking for suggestions

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 2:36 am

I have been thinking of writing about being a woman on the spectrum. As I cannot generate my own topics very easily, I wanted to know if anyone here had suggestions for the kinds of articles they'd like to see.

It doesn't even necessarily have to be about women and autism, it's just a preference because I am a woman on the spectrum and gender really can make the difference.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 8:02 am

How about a 'Sex and the City' parody? If each character had AS how would they approach life and dating? Sorry, I just woke up, but that would be funny.... Otherwise you could just write about your own experiences. :?:

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 8:59 am

I think the regular topics would be good: work, relationships, friendships, family, could also cover common health things such as sexuality, depression, eating problems.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 4:26 pm

FaithHopeCheese wrote:
How about a 'Sex and the City' parody? If each character had AS how would they approach life and dating? Sorry, I just woke up, but that would be funny.... Otherwise you could just write about your own experiences. :?:

When I hear the theme song for that show come on, I make a mad dash for the remote. heh. It's beyond me.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 4:38 pm

The more I reveal about myself on WP, the more I realize I am 'not cool'... :P

Something about writing an article about women just made me think about Carrie Bradshaw.... In my defense, I don't watch the show anymore, as I have reached my TV limit, at least for now. 8)

I make too many jokes, but I agree writing an article about specific challenges for women with AS is a good idea and you're a good writer based on your posts. :)

Last edited by FaithHopeCheese on 18 Dec 2009, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

emc2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2009, 5:29 pm

FaithHopeCheese wrote:

The funny thing is there is a huge shoe fixation in the show :lol:

An inability to form appropriate peer relationships as the characters just depend on each other :lol:

And an obsession with dating and hooking up :lol:

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2009, 8:02 pm

emc2 wrote:
FaithHopeCheese wrote:

The funny thing is there is a huge shoe fixation in the show :lol:

An inability to form appropriate peer relationships as the characters just depend on each other :lol:

And an obsession with dating and hooking up :lol:

Heeeeee! Oh, I do love that idea! That the SitC cast are all obsessing over the idea of finding a Perfect Man makes so much sense.. And having an attachment to inanimate objects in the form of shoes.. It all fits now. :lol:

FuzzyElephants
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2009, 1:23 am

RampionRampage wrote:
I have been thinking of writing about being a woman on the spectrum. As I cannot generate my own topics very easily, I wanted to know if anyone here had suggestions for the kinds of articles they'd like to see.

It doesn't even necessarily have to be about women and autism, it's just a preference because I am a woman on the spectrum and gender really can make the difference.

I think that's a pretty cool idea. I've noticed alot of the info out on the internet is geared more twards early detection and full blown Autism in children. There really isn't alot out there about adult Autism and since it occurs more often in men there isn't much out there about women. I like this idea... Maybe articles just about day to day life, a day in the life of women on the spectrum. Maybe something on the differances and specific challenges that woman face compared to men.

I do have to say picking on Sex in the City does sound pretty funny though... perhaps that would be a better project for someone who knows a bit more about that show though.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 7:31 pm

I didn't abandon my own thread. :)

I've just been thinking about it. Sometimes when I'm thinking about a topic I won't communicate much until I have something more concrete to say.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

pennypincher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jan 2010, 12:54 pm

How about talking about natural childbirth?