Story of the AS teen, your stories, maybe too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Jerick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2006, 8:25 pm

HI, im Jerick. :) I go to public middle school, in 8th grade. Here is a little story of the issues i face in school 'cause of the AS.... yah.. please make a comment, or even post up your own stories, so support can go your way!! !!

SCHOOL
It's lunchtime, and i am in the cafeteria. My gifted class is always in this clique, and I am always left out. I walk up to some, and they try to avioid me, wheter or not they make me notice they do. They call me a weirdo, ret*d, stupid, and more. I haven't told them, and if I did, they would laugh. My mom at home keeps on blaming the fact thta I keep on "saying" I have a problem, however, that is not the reason, for I do no such thing. I am appalled by the way people treat me. They think they can boss me around, make me fulfill their wants and needs, I mean I am not disobeying the law... why should they bother me about it?
"Go over there"
"You can't make me!"

"Get a life"
"and does thta mean you would have enough of a life to NOT bother me, well then you are confused to who you should say that to.'

And even though I act a bit weird, and not the same as everyone else, they start calling me gay, and that isn't true. it offends me so, and I can't accept the way poeple treat me. It's not like I am a carpet just waiting to be walked over. They are all SHORTER than me! they are all dumb, them gifteds.... good thing I have some nice friends... otherwise I would be emotional.....yah

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2006, 9:12 pm

Jerick, I hate it when that happens. I was a weird kid and also in the gifted class but I never got picked on, just ignored. I was very shy and quiet and a girl so maybe that's why. My AS son is in the 6th grade and he is not gifted; in fact, he's in the "resource room" for Math and English. I don't think he's in there because he's not smart enough for regular ed. I think it's because he can't think and focus in a large class with an average teacher. Also, listening isn't his ideal way of assimilating information. When we homeschooled, he learned best by reading directions and walking through problems with me or studying examples. I was disappointed, at first to learn that he sits with the "dummy" table at lunch. These kids aren't really dumb. In fact, one is AS and extremely bright but still in the "resource room" barely making passing grades. A couple of the kids are very normal (to me) with a case of ADHD and a couple are a little slow. They all are socially out of sync. I asked my son if he ever sat anywhere else but he said he has always sat there. (even before he was put into "resource room". When I was in school, I would plop down at any table with anyone and listen in. Sometimes I'd add something to the conversation and sometimes the kids were nice and other times, I just got ignored. A couple of times, everyone at the table would turn their backs but this stuff didn't bother as much as it does others because I wasn't that interested in being social, just in eating! I also felt that it was the other kid's who needed to learn how to act social; not me!! I'm sorry to hear that you are called names, especially ones that aren't true. I dealt with this rude behavior by feeling superior and above such nonsense and I did not hold much against kids because I assumed that all kids (except me and a few others) were stupid until they grew up. I am not giving you a suggestion because I don't think feeling superior is a good thing; that's just how I dealt with it.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2006, 9:16 pm

Jerick wrote: They are all shorter than me!

Funny, my son says this all of the time! He is one of the tallest kids in Jr. High school and he's only a 6th grader. I think this is why he has not been bullied in any real, threatening way. (I hope no one ever really ticks him off because there's a volcano under there and I'm afraid of what might happen to that unfortunate bully!)

cloverleaf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2006, 3:28 pm

I went to public middle school when I was in grade 7 I went everywhere with my nose in a book. at lunch it was a game with my "friends" to steal my book and run around well I tried to get it back. Now I go to cyber-school and don't really talk to anybody.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

22 Feb 2006, 10:06 pm

I actually made some great friends in middle school by always sitting in a corner of one table where I'd figured out that people were more likely to ignore me as I read. (Trust me, at that point in my life I welcomed being ignored. I was the sort of girl who came in for a bit of harrassment as the school bookworm.)

Alas, I moved away last summer and now I have chosen to eat on the floor by the vending machines, entirely by myself. The tables they have at the new high school I attend are just way too much for my senses to take; the chairs (if such they can be called) are far too close together and far too small as well as being too far under the table, and I can't handle sitting at them. I generally bolt my food and then head to the library, where I while away the happy hours reading.

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2006, 8:10 pm

Jerrick, I went through the exact same thing. I wasn't gifted or stupid, I just had trouble figuring out where i fit in. I bet everybody goes through some form of this, you aren't the only one!

Bland is right: feel superior! They're just trying to be cool by picking on other people. They're gonna grow out of it with time! You are so much better than they are since you've realized what they're doing is wrong. don't tolerate this. do you have any aquaintances in other classes? you should get to know them better. try acting friendly. This way, when you've graduated past this mean group of people you'll have someone to be with. i did the exact same thing when i was in middle school. now i'm a junior in high school and it's so much better. life just gets much easier. middle school is basically death and you should realize this: everyone hates it, everyone feels exactly the same way that you do, they all just want to get out, they get picked on too! these type of actions are just people trying to figure out who they are. they're all gonna pick the better route and grow up to be sweet, respecful high schoolers. either that or just really nice. a few stay the same, but those people suck. don't ever try to deal with the sucky people.

you'll make it through - just remember that middle school graduation is just around the corner! these people will grow out of it, don't worry! if it gets really out of hand you can talk to guidance about it, but remember that you're better than they are!

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2006, 12:00 am

I stole this from my Myspace. Heh.

Growing up, I was someone who wasn't screwed up enough to be considered special ed material, but still too screwed up to not be. I didn't know what my problem was, at first...I didn't even know I had a problem. All I knew was that most people were right bastards. (And I called them that, too. I said "f**k" more times in the fourth grade than any other year of my life. I also still sucked my thumb at that point because it was the only comfort I had.) I used to hate religion. As early as third grade, I grew a contempt for Christians in particular, for it was always the men and women of God who were the most cruel to me, the most intollerant of the strange person that I was...and most of all, intollerant of my refusal to believe. I went through middle school and early high school with an utter hatred for all religion. In those years, at almost every second, I was angrier than a 16-year-old girl in her period after she's found out that her boyfriend's cheated on her four times. I didn't always show it. There were many times when I even found myself laughing, enjoying myself, even if for brief intervals. I began getting online friends, people I could relate to, people I could talk to. In real life, it was hard to say hello, especially to girls, especially to ones I liked like that - which were most of the people I wished to speak to, though they were extremely few in number. But I found them most confusing of all.

ME: "Okay, so if one smiles at you that certain way, with one eyebrow raised and arched and the other lowered, then that means that they like you like that, right? And if they say hi to you quite a bit when you never talk to them, that also means they like you, right? Right?"

PERSON: "Depends on the girl."

ME: "Damn! What if they show interest in whether or not you've got a date?"

PERSON: "That can mean one of two things: a) they want you, or b) they don't."

ME: "Double damn!"

I probably would have become bisexual just because I found girls so frustrating. The catch was that I had absolutely no attraction at all to other guys. Since that catch meant a hell of a lot, I stayed straight.

I've now just graduated high school (mid year grad), and I have looked upon who I was...and who I still am. I don't hate religion as much as I used to, because I realized that me hating it was no better than it hating me. I even find it fascinating in a (to me) tragic sort of way. But my political views seem to have gotten more passionate as a result. I hate the subject of politics, because it's always the same story, and yet I always find myself talking about it, and even judging people based on their views, asking myself questions like, "How can I be friends with someone who doesn't care that the Bush Administration could have saved so many lives but didn't, in both 9/11 and Katrina?" My online friends have drifted; even been forgotten. I can now speak to people easier. I can now hide my suffering sometimes. I don't even have to try to hold my temper most of the time anymore. So why is it that it feels like no progress has been made?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Responses to previous ones, and some other misc. stuff that's not in there:
-Yeah, I was bullied too, and people kept calling me gay. But I just told them that studies have shown that most homophobic people are actually gay themselves, they're just in the closet so they surpress it. That tends to shut 'em up pretty quickly. It was even sweeter when one called my mom gay. I said, "Well, then how do you explain my existance?"

-Middle school...aw man. That was terrible, just terrible. I had to go to the special ed room, which had all these super annoying kids with down's syndrome who always sung annoying songs and that sort of thing. And here I was, an extremely cynical as*hole who couldn't stand it when people sung "The itsy bitsy spider" because I was so sensitive to noise. It...didn't go well most of the time. Lotsa flip outs. Didn't help that the school was extremely ghetto, either. High school was loads better, though I still didn't make many friends there because it was pretty much 50% prep and 50% ghetto-punk. I don't like to use lables but hey, if it fits. I'm something of a geek goth--the geek's obsession with entertainment forms such as films, games, and books, but the goth's cynical outlook on life and love of art--and while there were a few geeks and goths there, the problem is I just don't like most geeks because too many are jaded and sadistic, and don't like most goths because too many are immature and moody.

-Meds. My old psychiatrist seemed to think that the answers to all of life's problems were cliche advice that didn't work (ignoring kids doesn't work anymore because the bullies understand the tactic, why won't people understand that?) and giving out medication that didn't work. He put me on prozac (and anti depressant that, ironically, made me more depressed), risperodol (which I later found out was an anti-psychotic...didn't make me feel too happy about myself), and two others I forget the names of. One gave me uncontrollable diherreah that would just shoot out, unannounced. The other turned my skin red from either a rash or the constant rage that I would always have during the time I had the meds. Literally, during the brief period I was on those meds, I was angry 24/7. It was horrible. I was so mean, and I knew it and hated it but couldn't do anything about it, which of course made me even MORE angry!

Jerick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2006, 12:25 am

GREAT story Versae!! ! i can see all of that and i can plainly understand that issue.... lemme take a better look at it... now remember, i was thinking of it as not only my issue story, but maybe for others to give their own little story, then a mini session of opion, or a comment to an earlier post....

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 9:43 pm

Hey, Veresae. I am sorry to hear that Christians treated you the worst. I am a Christian and I hope I haven't done that to you. You are quite different from me but we should both be used to that by now. I was always drawn towards people who were "out of synch". I like different. I married an ADHD! He is definately different. I won't talk much here because I am a teenager several times over, but I have not forgotten what it was like and it definately gets better and better, Jerrick, as I think that Veresae may also believe. 20 is better than 16 and 16 is better than 11. I forgot why I posted on here but maybe just to encourage you guys. I think it really sucks that (most) kids are so shallow and closeminded. Just don't let their nasty 'essence' taint you and make you ugly or stupid as they are. They will grow out of it; at least most of them will.
Remember, school is a wierd and false subculture. It is not the real world. Try to take advantage of the good and disregard the stupid.

Jerick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2006, 9:59 pm

well.. i didn't get to see the story as clearly, but yeah its very similar (in a few ways)... I am more and more convinnced that I am soo not a lone

Musical_Alien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2006, 6:32 pm

Jerick, this so reminds me of my school as well. I'm the class nerd, and I'm avoided as well; but I do get along nicely with girls, which I guess is an okay score for me if I can keep myself from staring at their cleavage (most of the time :P). What I do is I tend to make friends with kids from the lower grades; may sound cheap, but it comes in really handy to have a couple of 8-year-olds calling the bullies a meanie; I've tried it, and it helped. Could be because one of them was the class brute's little brother.

Anyways, back on topic; while teensy children can be great to have on your side, nothing beats having the smart girls with you. Smart (not necessarily highly intelligent) girls at your own age can be great allies. Pity is also a great way to get a girlfriend, or so I've heard.

Kiddos and girls are your best pieces in the game of chess versus social alienation.

Jerick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2006, 6:25 pm

as a matter of fact, i have always worked better with both parties (i thought tha peole of different ages tan me i worked better with, cause little children were good friends with me and older people could get on my mature side as wel... i just dont have an "in-between" situation.....