How old were you when you first talked?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

eddie1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2009, 10:09 pm

My Mom told me I was close to non-verbal at age 6 and they were thrilled
when I started talking. After that they wished I would shut up again.

Eddie

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 10:51 pm

Three and a half, when I started learning to read

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 11:15 pm

I had to have speach therapy because when I finnaly did talk at four, everything I said come out so fast it couldn't be understood. I had echolaila until my early teens but had an advanced voculabary. The MMR vaccine had nothing to do with it. I was born autistic.

Last edited by PunkyKat on 23 Dec 2009, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 11:53 pm

Said my first words at 11 months (which is equivalent to 9 months because I was born premature), but then my language developed stopped outside of echolalic responses until I suddenly started speaking in complete sentences when I was just over 3 years old. then, according to my sister, I didn't shut up! :lol:

Kallie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2009, 1:09 am

I think I was either 9 months or a year old. I always had an advanced vocabulary according to my family.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 5:20 am

4 years old. My first two words were "shut up." :lol:

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 7:10 am

I started talking at about one. After I had my MMR jab, I was quiet for about a year, and I started talking again when I was three.

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 7:36 am

I kinda wonder if it was the jab that stopped me from talking or the fact I was dropped as a baby...? Maybe that could be why?
That stopped me from being able to talk and I would of ended up living a NT life?

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 7:36 am

I was 4.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2009, 7:11 pm

Believe it or not I started talking when I was around 5 years old. The fact that I did not speak was one of the reasons why I ended up in Special Ed. The first time I actually said something was in Preschool when I read a shirt of a teacher that said "New York Yankees". I don't really remember the details but out of the blue I read her shirt and after that I started talking. Of course during the years I needed speech therapy. My parents and even many teachers always stated that I learned how to read before I spoke.

Higgs_boson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Dec 2009, 11:41 pm

I only started talking when i was 4, before that apparently i used to make ' oddle, doddle ' noises.

When i was 6 i got statemented and was in special schools from then on. At the first one the teachers told mum that
i was learning english as if it was a foreign language, i.e. differently to how children normally acquire language, however i ended up
acquiring an advanced vocabulary and even got told off for using 'big words' too much !

My speech is quite variable now, can be slow with lots of pauses and repetitions, or realy fluent, especialy when talking about my interests. Occasionally, in some situations verbal comprehension/communication can break down. This happened at the jobcentre last week. I had an interview there as have been claiming JSA for 6 months, this woman started to ask a lot of questions in quick succesion as well as giving me information. I was already having a bad day and just couldnt process it all, at least she got me reffered to the Disability Employment Advisor as the refferal had not gone through before due to some glitch in the system.

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2009, 11:47 pm

Two when I first talked. Three when I started using full sentences. Four when I started reading and writing.