Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2009, 12:35 am

It freaks me out. I swear they're not just cars back firing. Why would the cops show up if somebody's car backfired? We're too close to a bad neighborhood. :o

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 12:51 am

I like it. ;)

But then, out here in the hills, it's people plinking, hunting or playing informal target shooting, rather than anything ominous that the city often brings with it.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 2:45 am

Here in the city, it really scares me when I hear a gunshot. I've only heard a gunshot twice in four years while living in this area of the city. It really freaked me out.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 2:48 am

Gunshots are probably my favorite sound but then again my obsession is guns so go figure.

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2009, 5:45 am

Yes, I heard them a few times in the city. Something scarier was, one morning, I heard something that sounded like a bomb going off very close by and I was scared! 8O I found out a tree limb fell and took down a power line.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 7:03 am

Daniel's notes on how to know if you're getting shot at (for those who fear the noise):

-If you hear a loud "crack" of unknown origin, followed shortly by a distant and directed "boom", you just had a high velocity projectile fly past you; you can tell the shooter's general location from where the "boom" came from
-If you hear a loud "boom", shortly followed by a "whiz" of something spinning through the air, you're hearing a projectile (whether slow or fast to begin with) after it has hit something and has ricocheted
-If you hear a "crack" without a "boom" in the distance, someone is firing a suppressed weapon or a high-velocity .22LR in your direction
-You'll just hear a directed "boom" if it's a low velocity projectile (with the projectile impacting near you with a thud)

Most firearms sound like this, whether pistols, rifles or shotguns, other than rimfire rifles (.22LR, .22 Magnum, .17 Magnum, etcetera and etcetera); just multiply the sound of the shot itself by hundreds compared to the other ambient noises and you have it spot on:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r92XRHJW4bo[/youtube]

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 7:19 am

The sound of gunfire always gets my attention, and I definitely hate hearing it in places where there should not be any.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 9:36 am

I hated the sound that comes from the fake guns that they shoot in athletics before people start running. Last time I heard that was in Year 7 when I was running in the house relays.

I've never heard the sound of a gun IRL apart from TV. I imagine it'd be a very loud boom noise that'd shock my ears. I'm too afraid of living in the US where guns are legal and far more easily accessible than in Australia.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 10:44 am

I don't care much for gun shots, either. They send shivers up my spine. I also live in the middle of the city, too.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 10:47 am

It's not that annoying.

EC
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2009, 1:25 pm

Well, if it makes you feel better, just imagine that it's the police killing a pedophilic, freedom-hating, terrorist, Arab tax-man.
I don't know, I just kind of slapped America's pet-peeves together.

But yeah, I hate it, too. It has happened a lot of times, but only one time did I find out that it was actually gunfire. Apparently, a gangland-style execution took place just down the street. On one side, I hate weapons, on the other, I can't really care whether gangs kill each other, as long as they take it seriously and keep at it.

Anyway, if you hate gunshots, weapons, whatever, you should make your voice heard politically - Vote for someone who wants to outlaw weapons. Now, on the flip-side, people who fire weapons like this are usually the ones who do not own them legally, anyway.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 11:05 am

EC wrote;

Quote:
Anyway, if you hate gunshots, weapons, whatever, you should make your voice heard politically - Vote for someone who wants to outlaw weapons. Now, on the flip-side, people who fire weapons like this are usually the ones who do not own them legally, anyway.

In the US it's the big cities with toughest gun control laws is where you hear a lot of gunfire.

FuzzyElephants
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2009, 2:01 am

Nothing like settling into bed all cozy and warm and just as you're about to fall asleep someone lets off 5 rounds from a 12 gauge shot gun 10 feet from your bedroom window. Funny thing about that though is my anti-gun sister-in-law would come crawling (she's a grown woman by the way, not a toddler) into my room/arsenal because well when the gangs were hashing it out I at the very least could return fire if need be. I've heard rumors that the neighborhood use to be nice. Or my other favorite, when all the neighbors would fire their guns into the sky on New Years... yeah dipsh!ts because gravity doesn't work. I actually worked at the firearms counter at Wal*Mart one year and on New Years day a co-worker came in and said her neighbor got killed by a bullet that came through the ceiling... proof that what goes up must eventually come down. Needless to say she stocked shelves all day while I ran the counter.

Anyways, I moved onto a military base on the other side of the country... now whenever I hear gun shots or artiliary rounds, it's from off in the distance way out back of base in the gun and artiliary ranges... no return fire needed.

Christophe
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2009, 8:35 pm

Being in the army and currently deployed, I hear the sounds of artillery and mortarsevery night. during the day i hear small arms fire coming from the shooting range. i am not a fan of the sounds, but don't mind the weapons. either way, you learn to deal with it here.