Sum up the meaning of life in one sentence.

Page 25 of 25 [ 390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 10:48 am

Magnus_Rex wrote:
Whatever you want it to be.

Err...for most people not so much.

b9 wrote:
you only have one life and therefore you can only be "sentenced to life" once.

I'd love to think that's true. Nothing would be worse than realizing I still have consciousness and that I'm being ricocheted back down here into someone else.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 11:02 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Magnus_Rex wrote:
Whatever you want it to be.

Err...for most people not so much.

Maybe, but everyone is free to establish their own goals in life. At least to me, the meaning of life is to achieve my goals; in other words, there is no predetermined meaning whatsoever. Existentialism FTW.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 12:15 pm

Well, right but - there's no free will, there is no 'us' as separate from environment and our building blocks. Your right in that the most optimal path is the one that hangs the closest to your own internal compass: some people, perhaps like us, will always seek to optimize that, others will never care, just like opportunities are also frozen in time. Whether you get famous at a hobby your really passionate about, whether you have a wild roller-coaster of ups and downs for a life, whether its mostly flat and boring, or whether you even end up being the person who never had anything, has incorrigible genetic flaws or boundaries that swallow all hope for the future - anything that will ever happen or anything that anyone will ever do was predetermined at the big bang.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 12:53 pm

Transfer your genetic material to ensure its survival. Or, if not interested in having children: Eat, s**t, f**k, die

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 12:57 pm

If you're an NT, you'll be fine, but if you're autistic, you're f***ed, unless you're really smart and able to make lots of money.

mox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2011, 12:59 am

I believe Buddha said "life is suffering," and the purpose of life is to end suffering.

That sounds about right to me.