Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Philotix
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2009, 8:26 pm

Tadzio wrote:
Ayn Rand wrote the book "The Virtues of Selfishness," so everybody else had better stop playing with her ideas and toys, or you might come across a picture where Greenspan might show her Dollar-Sign burial wreath $$$

I didn' get the paranormal sensation when Atlas Shrugged, but I sure got it when he passed his excess noble gas, and it made Oberon flinch too!! ! Humans are difficult to understand, even after being outside the enchanted forest for a few decades, and I still have plenty of deja vu too, but knowing that randomness is self-contradictory just gives me another paranormal sense of predestination.

Self-esteem's Nathaniel Branden seems to be lost in the user-illusion, and the "Origins of Consciousness and the Breakdown of the Bicarmeral Mind" by Julian Jaynes explores why all the models have brokedown since uncertainity is the lasting human principle with the paranormal sense of self.

My Social Psychology Professor told me that self-esteem was like Maslow's self-actualization, if your employer catches you doing it on company time, you'll probably get fired.

..... wut? I think my brain just exploded.

prism_tail_rainbows
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Dec 2009, 2:04 am

pixel-debris wrote:
Autism is really supposed to make you smarter and clear headed

what are you talking about?

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 3:06 am

I dismiss it all as hooey.

I’m with AnnaLemma and pixel-debris. If someone were to present credible evidence,
I’d be open. But I’m not gonna hold my breath. And if I ever do run into whoever is
responsible for this mess, I'm going to have a lot of questions.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 4:42 am

If you accept the Scientific Method, instead of the witchcraft labeled as "Objectivism," many titles including
scientific documentation of many types of paranormal experiences, are grouped together at:

http://www.shaktitechnology.com/

Don't let Clever Hans the Horse outsmart you, but don't be closed-minded as a Dollar Sign either.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 5:16 am

alana wrote:
I wonder how many of us have had paranormal experiences. I also wonder how many of us are among the contingent that dismiss all of that as hooey. I am among the first group. I think that since we are supposed to be more 'sensitive' in some ways, this might mean we 'pick up' on so-called 'extra-sensory' things.

Yes, self-reported paranormal / psychic expriences do cluster with sensory issues. I bet that some of these do have natural explanaitions, like the claims to be able to sense electromagnetic fields. This is not at all impossible to do or to check scientifically. This trait might also underlie the ability to detect water that I'm sure that I have.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 5:19 am

I'm fairly sure that the Universe is a subset of an actual reality which we would be describe as Mathematics.

As such, obviously everything which is self-consistent must exist somewhere.

This brings up two conclusions immediately.

1. There is nothing in the Universe which does not abide by the same rules that the rest does.

2. There are things that could/should/must exist which are not in this Universe.

There is no such thing as "paranormal" ghosts, "supernatural" beings, or whatnot, though I've theorized that perhaps you could observe something similar by confusing the part of your brain that records where you are, as it must also imply where you are not, and perhaps it could overlap some information from other positions.

Highly theoretical though, and with absolutely no experimental basis, it's simply the only possible way it COULD happen.

I'm unable to be anything but skeptical about everything, I doubted that the Universe was a likely thing to find myself embedded in as a child, until I discovered that it must exist, but so must all possible Universes, so I am a natural consequence of my own consistent possibility.

If that makes sense, you might be crazy... I might be as well, but I'm enjoying the ride.

I've had some rather intense "deja-vu dreams", but again it is impossible to falsify the alternative explanation: that I simply triggered a portion of my brain which incorrectly labeled the experiences I was having at the moment as occupying two separate positions in my memory.

I don't know for sure that I had the dreams before the events, or that my brain wrongly altered it's own records to make me think I had.

One answer however is much simpler than the other, and even with the understanding of time I have from years of relativistic pondering, I am far too massive to interact across years of time as if it was coincident/simultaneous.

The alteration of my own memory, by my own brain, without my awareness of this process, is possible, simple, and could explain many more paranormal phenomena than just deja vu.

In the absence of any evidence for any alternative hypothesis, I'm going with the "people are generally too out of touch with reality, and their own brains enough to not understand this stuff properly" option.

pixel-debris
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Dec 2009, 10:46 am

I want to see the guy bend MY spoon.

I need to see the holes in Jesus's hands.

Not going to happen though.... we live in a universe with physical rules that does not include magic, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and not even the Easter Bunny, no ghosts and no gobblins or gremlins.

There are however a large group of people who make up experiences to get attention or they are delusional and their *need* caused them to hallucinate.

It was so amusing when I was a the Estes Park hotel that inspired Steven King to write "The Shining". They had one hallway illuminated with flashing IR emitters. We can't see the IR, but our cameras can. So they encouraged everyone to take lots of pictures. It was embarrassing to watch grown people getting all excited when the saw bright white images on their camera displays, I think one woman had multiple orgasms.... As an experiment, before the tour started (great tour by the way) I noted who in the group was all twitchy about the haunted hotel and the ghosts, and sure enough, they were the ones most giddy and light headed when we got to the IR hallway.

Clear your heads people. There is no god and no devil, you're on your own, all you have is logic and reason, use it.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 Dec 2009, 11:01 am

i personally believe in other dimensions and im shure ive seen somewhere on the history channel that you can have an entire other dimension infront of your face and not even know its there because its on another plain of existance. i could see ghosts, and just about anything else imaginable inhabiting such a place without you even knowing it

pencapchew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Dec 2009, 1:34 pm

richardbenson wrote:
i personally believe in other dimensions and im shure ive seen somewhere on the history channel that you can have an entire other dimension infront of your face and not even know its there because its on another plain of existance. i could see ghosts, and just about anything else imaginable inhabiting such a place without you even knowing it

this is how i believe it to be too... different dimensions operating on a higher frequency, different vibrations or a curvature of space and so are invisible. i've had a couple of strange experiences that i would label as paranormal. i believe i had an out of body experience when i died in an accident when i was younger (i was given the kiss of life, loool). i believe in ghosts, who are earthbound for various reasons or whatever. i imagine them to be like a magnetic memory in the atmosphere that can be triggered by some people via their energy levels, causing a type of video replay in the air.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 1:45 pm

to me the belief in the paranormal and the belief in rightness of the 'market', and it's ability to right itself, are very similar.

I did ask how many of us have had paranormal experiences. I don't want those people who might post to be afraid to post because some feel the need to state their opinion about this multiple times. I believe in singularities, too. To me it's just energy. The economic market is energy with intent and desire behind it. The tokens themselves are just symbols. Without the tokens of currency the market is far more imaginary than any 'ghost', not because it doesn't exist, but because it's created with the energy of thoughts, feelings, and desires, none of which can be detected by normal sensory means.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 1:49 pm

pencapchew wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
. i believe i had an out of body experience when i died in an accident when i was younger (i was given the kiss of life, loool). i believe in ghosts, who are earthbound for various reasons or whatever. i imagine them to be like a magnetic memory in the atmosphere that can be triggered by some people via their energy levels, causing a type of video replay in the air.

I had an OOB too. And had someone chanting to me in Russian. I believe they were prayers, but I don't know Russian, only the sound of it. And I sure didn't know it when I was four years old. This was during serious trauma. Someone could say it was a 'hallucination' which I guess could lead to a discussion on what qualifies as a hallucination (like, that the economic market is inherently good, just, and self-regulating somehow) and what qualifies as real.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 Dec 2009, 1:50 pm

i wanna be a professional ghost hunter, maybe this is something i can look into when i go back to voc rehab maybe
they'll probably laugh at me but i'll be dead serious with it :geek: