Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2009, 9:30 pm

I'm learning to be a chef and I have some very, very good news. In a week or two I will be sold by the course tutor a sharp new French knife for chopping food with. This will mean from now on my vegetable cuts will be a lot more neat and precise. Preparation will also be much quicker.

I was given a spices rack with 10 spice jars to put in it by a sister for christmas. We went to a shop and bought bags of spices such as cardamoms, basil and rosemary. This year I am going to cook as many recipes as possible. I'm never going to think to myself, "I shouldn't buy this spice, herb or ingredient because I might not use it much." Instead unless it is very expensive I'll get it, ever looking to expand my culinary horizons.

At the end of this year I learned how to cook a lentil and tomato curry as well as an asparagus, mushroom and garden pea risotto. I learned from nothing so I believe I can go further. Among other things I plan to learn how to make a salad that is tossed with spices because I hate plain salads. I've successfully just paid off all my debts (over £300) by eating in instead of eating out using bulk bought foods and refrigerating extra portions in airtight lunchboxes.

Now if I can master the lunchbox packed spicy salad I shall also no longer have to buy french fries and snacks when I'm at college and visiting relatives who don't cook my kind of food. The cooking course I am about to attend will expose me to quite a few females. Since two females have approached me this year in a romantic fashion I am prepared for the possibility others might. It's unlikely but possible. Therefore if any do I shall be prepared to cook them a three course meal, of for example, freshly chopped pineapple pieces or a spicy salad for starter, risotto for main meal and Belgian chocolates with a scoop of ice cream for dessert. Does anyone else have any food plans for 2010?

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2009, 9:36 pm

No real plans, but tell me more about that spicy salad, it sounds interesting.

harlequinsenor
Raven
Raven

26 Dec 2009, 9:36 pm

I plan to become even more strict regarding my intake of fat and unnecessary calories.

I intend to thrive on chicken breasts, salads, leafy greans, beans, sardines, tuna, salmon, and the occasional Subway turkey breast sandwich.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 10:33 pm

I plan to eat, drink and be merry.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 10:38 pm

I plan on eating like a recent book suggests "In Defense of Food"

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

I am trying to do away with artificial and processed stuff. No high fructose corn syrup. No added fillers.

Having said this - I will have a few succulent BBQ'd tiger prawns with real butter - but the point is just a few I'll have said prawns and butter with a few slices of steak (i.e. a few slices cut from one steak, my hubby and kids will have a few slices cut from the same steak). I will also enjoy a small baked potato with sour cream, chopped green onions and a small amount of high quality bacon crumbled and sprinked on top. Rounding out the meal, lightly steamed broccoli tossed with a wee bit of fresh chopped garlic and olive oil.

All good quality, natural food. All food groups represented more or less and not too much. I'll admit that I'm still not quite "mostly plants" - but I enjoy hummous and interesting vegetables as well - but that is another meal.

Oh - and I intend on washing this meal down with a glass of red wine!

Food, glorious food!! !! !! ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 Dec 2009, 11:14 pm

oh i have to say reading about food is one of my favorite things. my favorite food is hot/spicy anything 8)

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 12:58 am

CanadianRose wrote:
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

So good to hear.

What a fantastic topic. About ten minutes ago I started writing a food timetable for myself for 2010.

The last few years my life has been almost completely and utterly spontaneous; probably because I have been trying to discern what MY choices are (as opposed to the expectations of others) and what I like (whether it's ordinary, or not).

However, in 2010 I would like not to have to think about planning food, at all. Or house work really either, yet that's another story.

I feel totally ready for this commitment and I'm definitely not going to discuss it with others not on WP.

This thread is great! What an encouragement. It's already given me the inclusion of bean and coriander salad with the talk of salad and spices.
I love food; I am over the western traditions of stodgy carbohydrates and always eating plentifully (what if you don't need to??). I don't believe in diets (never have really, except when I went vegan for some years)

I'd like to hear more about the spicy salad, too.. :D

A Thursday child ..

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 3:00 am

I will eat more of those small portion "healthy" microwave meals in an effort to lose weight.

That's the extent of my culinary non-skills.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 3:06 am

Chew slowly........

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2009, 5:53 am

I love this thread. Keep up the good work Perambulator. I've spent a lot of time sorting my diet out, I don't need to plan it anymore, but I think it's a very important thing to be aware of.

Esther wrote:
I will eat more of those small portion "healthy" microwave meals in an effort to lose weight.

That's the extent of my culinary non-skills.

If cooking is hard for you, try: vegetable juices, ready-made soups, ready meals at health food stores, maybe there are cafes close to you that specialize in healthy food and use natural ingredients.