Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 8:16 pm

No. I had to spend my entire childhood with supposed "helpers" breathing down my neck and telling me every move I made was wrong.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 8:38 pm

Meadow wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:
racooneyes wrote:
Simply not true. Complete fallacy in fact, a damaging one for any impressionable types reading. There's a system of body language, it's pretty simple and we can learn it. Reading a book on body language, one with a bibliography and scientific references will teach you things you'd be surprised about I guarentee it. How you would suddenly forget what you've read because you're autistic I don't know? We may have a nearological difference but we still have a memory and a visual cortex don't we?

Same with picking up social skills from reading novels and watching tv/films, not true. On tv and films all the social situations you see is heavily exagerated and not true to life they also often miss out large protions of activty due to time restraints. Same with novels but you can't even see what people are doing in novels so it's much worse.

QFT

Aspie1 wrote:
I would be open to the idea. However, I'd be wary of the methodology the coach uses. Would he/she explain the logic behind different types of social interaction, or would he/she use the NT cliche "just go out and meet new people". Once that question is answered, I'll decide whether or not to go through with the coaching.

I don't think that saying "just go out and meet new people" could possibly be considered "coaching." The "coaching" part would be in teaching somebody how to do that.

Meadow wrote:
This perceived lack of empathy with ASD's has caused a lot of confusion, I think. If you do some looking, you will see they have done more research and have gathered data which supports a different view. A lack of empathy is more typically seen in sociopaths and psychopaths, however, which may also share some of the social challenges seen in ASD's.

The problem there is in the difference between not knowing and not caring. Sociopaths tend to know exactly how people feel, and not care, or use it to manipulate them. Somebody with an ASD is less likely to be able to figure out what somebody is feeling unless they're crying hysterically or something like that. The definitions are mixed up.. The word "empathy" tends to be used in a similar way as the word "compassion." :?

I think you should start your own forum called "Argument for the Sake of Arguing" because that's all it seems to amount to much of the time.

Huh?! What in that was argumentative?? Most of what I said was agreement with things other people said. Do you just dislike me or something? What did I do?

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 8:46 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
Meadow wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:
racooneyes wrote:
Simply not true. Complete fallacy in fact, a damaging one for any impressionable types reading. There's a system of body language, it's pretty simple and we can learn it. Reading a book on body language, one with a bibliography and scientific references will teach you things you'd be surprised about I guarentee it. How you would suddenly forget what you've read because you're autistic I don't know? We may have a nearological difference but we still have a memory and a visual cortex don't we?

Same with picking up social skills from reading novels and watching tv/films, not true. On tv and films all the social situations you see is heavily exagerated and not true to life they also often miss out large protions of activty due to time restraints. Same with novels but you can't even see what people are doing in novels so it's much worse.

QFT

Aspie1 wrote:
I would be open to the idea. However, I'd be wary of the methodology the coach uses. Would he/she explain the logic behind different types of social interaction, or would he/she use the NT cliche "just go out and meet new people". Once that question is answered, I'll decide whether or not to go through with the coaching.

I don't think that saying "just go out and meet new people" could possibly be considered "coaching." The "coaching" part would be in teaching somebody how to do that.

Meadow wrote:
This perceived lack of empathy with ASD's has caused a lot of confusion, I think. If you do some looking, you will see they have done more research and have gathered data which supports a different view. A lack of empathy is more typically seen in sociopaths and psychopaths, however, which may also share some of the social challenges seen in ASD's.

The problem there is in the difference between not knowing and not caring. Sociopaths tend to know exactly how people feel, and not care, or use it to manipulate them. Somebody with an ASD is less likely to be able to figure out what somebody is feeling unless they're crying hysterically or something like that. The definitions are mixed up.. The word "empathy" tends to be used in a similar way as the word "compassion." :?

I think you should start your own forum called "Argument for the Sake of Arguing" because that's all it seems to amount to much of the time.

Huh?! What in that was argumentative?? Most of what I said was agreement with things other people said. Do you just dislike me or something? What did I do?

Maggiedoll, I do not dislike you at all. I didn't want to get into a debate and I'm sorry for expressing my frustration that way.

On a side note: You had been finding fault with my postings on several occasions and I did get somewhat perturbed by it. I don't carry grudges and move on quickly, however, and there were/are no hard feelings on my end.

Take care

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 9:56 pm

Meadow wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:
Meadow wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:

Meadow wrote:

Maggiedoll, I do not dislike you at all. I didn't want to get into a debate and I'm sorry for expressing my frustration that way.

On a side note: You had been finding fault with my postings on several occasions and I did get somewhat perturbed by it. I don't carry grudges and move on quickly, however, and there were/are no hard feelings on my end.

Take care

In my post that responded to what you said, I agreed with what you said, that's why I got so confused/upset when you responded that I was being argumentative.. I've said a lot that there's trouble telling the difference between "lack of empathy" meaning not knowing how people feel and "lack of empathy" meaning not caring how people feel.. it was more or less what you said, I was just filling in what I see as a semantic issue in the description of AS. (Um.. if that makes sense... :oops: Wait, am I being argumentative now in trying to explain that I wasn't being argumentative? But I find fault with my own postings all the time, too.. Okay, now I think I'm babbling.. but I'm sorry I perturbed you.)

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 10:04 pm

No, don't be, it happens. We are all human and that's allowed. :)

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 10:21 pm

Before I'd pay for something like that, I'd have to convince myself that having a better understanding would increase my enjoyment of social activities. Just because something is understandable doesn't mean it will be enjoyable.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 10:53 pm

Meadow wrote:

I'm starting to think that perhaps I do get argumentative to continue a topic. If someone says something, the ways I know of to respond are to agree completely, to agree and elaborate, or to dispute some point within what was said. (Of course, the disputing a point doesn't mean disagreeing on the whole topic, just on whatever point it is that I disputed. I could agree with a principle or an idea, but still disagree about some detail, or about how the conclusion was reached, and ask someone to clarify that, or to discuss why the process was different, or something like that.)

As soon as I read that, my immediate reaction was that I should explain why there's no reason that I shouldn't be sorry for having perturbed you. But then I was like "wait.. that would be arguing!" Of course, I also tend to spend a lot of time defending my reasons for apologizing for things anyway. I apologize for stupid stuff all the time and Kris always looks at me funny when I do, so I've gotten into the habit of defending that I really do have reason to apologize. So still at the risk of being argumentative.. why shouldn't I be sorry for saying something that upset somebody? Overwhelming guilt and shame would be excessive and not a good reaction to accidentally offending somebody, but there's no reason not to be sorry and to apologize for it, is there?

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 11:05 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
Meadow wrote:

I'm starting to think that perhaps I do get argumentative to continue a topic. If someone says something, the ways I know of to respond are to agree completely, to agree and elaborate, or to dispute some point within what was said. (Of course, the disputing a point doesn't mean disagreeing on the whole topic, just on whatever point it is that I disputed. I could agree with a principle or an idea, but still disagree about some detail, or about how the conclusion was reached, and ask someone to clarify that, or to discuss why the process was different, or something like that.)

As soon as I read that, my immediate reaction was that I should explain why there's no reason that I shouldn't be sorry for having perturbed you. But then I was like "wait.. that would be arguing!" Of course, I also tend to spend a lot of time defending my reasons for apologizing for things anyway. I apologize for stupid stuff all the time and Kris always looks at me funny when I do, so I've gotten into the habit of defending that I really do have reason to apologize. So still at the risk of being argumentative.. why shouldn't I be sorry for saying something that upset somebody? Overwhelming guilt and shame would be excessive and not a good reaction to accidentally offending somebody, but there's no reason not to be sorry and to apologize for it, is there?

Can you find someone else to quarrel with then? I know several people on here who like to give it a go. I have my viewpoint and opinions. I think them through over a long period of time to see if they hold true. If someone doesn't agree with it, that's okay. When it comes to walls and walls of text, I get overwhelmed on a sensory level. Sometimes I can read through, other times it's too much. Picking people's words apart bit by bit seems fruitless and just argumentative for the sake of arguing as mentioned before. That isn't my interest. So, from now on if you latch onto something I say and try to pick it apart this way, I will simply ignore it as I see it would be a waste of time anyway with someone who just wants to find the smallest things to have words about.

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2009, 4:02 am

Willard wrote:
IMHO Aspergians pick up most common social skills a bit more slowly than the neurotypical, but they do learn them over time without anything so drastic and silly as a 'Social Skills Coach".

I disagree totally. I am 43 and have never learned social skills sufficiently to cope with most situations. If I was going to learn them "slowly", I think I would have done it by now.

I think the biggest variable in this is how impaired is the individual (ie where on the spectrum are they). For people who are borderline AS, you might be right, to a degree but with people like myself who are more impaired, there was just no way I was ever going to learn social skill by myself at any rate.

For this reason, I do not consider the idea of a Social Skills Coach "silly". If it could help those Aspies that need it, then this would be a good thing.

To answer the question posed by the OP - if I could find someone reputable in the field, I would definitely pay for a social skills coach.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 11:41 am

Meadow wrote:
Can you find someone else to quarrel with then? I know several people on here who like to give it a go. I have my viewpoint and opinions. I think them through over a long period of time to see if they hold true. If someone doesn't agree with it, that's okay. When it comes to walls and walls of text, I get overwhelmed on a sensory level. Sometimes I can read through, other times it's too much. Picking people's words apart bit by bit seems fruitless and just argumentative for the sake of arguing as mentioned before. That isn't my interest. So, from now on if you latch onto something I say and try to pick it apart this way, I will simply ignore it as I see it would be a waste of time anyway with someone who just wants to find the smallest things to have words about.

I don't think it's necessarily a quarrel. I do tend to repeat myself a lot, hoping that one of those times I'll find the right words to express whatever it is I'm trying to say correctly.
But I think a lot of times the word-picking can be the opposite of arguing, to say that the reason for a confusion is one word being used to mean two different things, or different words being used to mean the same thing. Is it arguing to say that a disagreement is semantic and therefore not a disagreement at all? That doesn't feel like an argument to me, I'm not trying to argue.. a lot of the time I'm trying to agree.

But now I'm babbling again, I guess.. :oops:

Edit: Okay, so here's my real question.. is there anything you can think of that I can do about it? You don't have to answer now or anything.. but if you notice something, or think of something, that might help me not to come off as so argumentative, or notice specific things that I say (or ways that I say things) that make you feel defensive, could you please let me know?

Last edited by Maggiedoll on 30 Dec 2009, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2009, 4:10 pm

Hi Guys,

I Googled "social skills" and the following link (among others) came up. I have not read it at great depth yet but I would be interested in seeing what anyone else thinks.......

http://www.succeedsocially.com/

Any comments - is there useful infor here?

Regards

Rob

Ladarzak
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2010, 9:31 pm

Re: succeedsocially site.

Lots of good tips there, but I can't keep that stuff straight in my head when I'm out in the world. I have no way of ordering and organizing it. I could get my husband to read it for me, observe me, and we could talk about it later. It would be like having a teacher or helper. But alone, it's just more info for me to juggle and get confused.

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2010, 5:25 am

Ladarzak wrote:
I could get my husband to read it for me, observe me, and we could talk about it later. It would be like having a teacher or helper.

Great idea. I have often had the idea that if I had a partner, she would be able to play this mentoring role for me. Of course, if I had the social skills to get a girlfriend, I wouldn't need the mentoring in the first place. What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Ladarzak wrote:
But alone, it's just more info for me to juggle and get confused.

I tend to find that. I tend to read a little, think about it and then try to put it into action.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 6:16 am

I don't think I would be convinced enough that it would work to invest money in the cause. I think you would also get overwhelmed at all the things they would be pointing out as things you are doing wrong. I think it's better to have a friend you trust point out one or two things to work on every so often... much less threatening and if people really care about you they may be willing to help in that capacity.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2010, 9:46 am

You know, I just might. But the world of socialization is broad, so what might help one person might seem too obvious to be of any help to another. If the coach specialized in certain aspects of socializing, it might work out.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 5:43 pm

Even though it says that part of the point of that site is to help people with autism spectrum disorders (among other things) I think it's written for "shy, awkward" people of the primarily neurotypical variety. It looks to me like a lot of the same "go out there and meet people!" or "start a conversation with someone" type advice that just isn't all that useful.
I used to think I probably had a personality disorder, and so I approached it from that angle for a long time-- trying to let go of insecurities, be friendly, start conversations.. yadda yadda yadda. It all backfired because, unlike the avoidant person whose social problem is that they THINK they're socially inept, I am socially inept, so no amount of confidence is going to make me succeed socially, and no amount of trying to be friendly and starting conversations is going to win me friends, because I just don't get that stuff. There's a lot on that site about moderation, but there's no real way to know what moderate is if you can't tell. I have no clue how to show the "correct" amount of interest in someone so that I can express that I like them without seeming like a stalker. Expressing the right amount that they know that I think there interest but that I'm not hitting on them? It's not something I'm going to be able to figure out. I might get it right occasionally, but to get it right consistently enough that I'm able to maintain anything? Yea, right. I'm not going to succeed socially with anybody who isn't as socially inept as I am.