Detecting Attraction 101: Nonverbal Cues

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 5:55 pm

KenM wrote:
In my experence, I have seen different women that I was interested in at different times do the same non verbal things, but they mean one thing to one person and another thing to the other. That is why its so hard for people with AS to pick up on this stuff, even with learning them.

It's going to be difficult, even for NTs. The cool thing is that with practice, you'll pick it up. It just takes some time and perseverance. I hope you manage to figure things out. :)

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 7:26 pm

These things seem to come natural to NTs. To me it seems like its like a private club that everyone else knows about and will never let you "in". When you find different NTs giving the same non verbal cues, but they mean different things to them, how the heck are people that have no idea how to read these cues learn what they mean if there is such a wide range of what they can mean?

I have been trying to learn these type of things all my life and no matter how hard I try I still don't get it. Thats why its easier just for people to say what they want and mean what they say, no mixed signals.

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 4:05 am

KenM wrote:
These things seem to come natural to NTs. To me it seems like its like a private club that everyone else knows about and will never let you "in". When you find different NTs giving the same non verbal cues, but they mean different things to them, how the heck are people that have no idea how to read these cues learn what they mean if there is such a wide range of what they can mean?

I have been trying to learn these type of things all my life and no matter how hard I try I still don't get it. Thats why its easier just for people to say what they want and mean what they say, no mixed signals.

I know what you mean. I have some moderate success with non-verbal communication in casual situations, but the non-verbal cues for flirting are so complex and subtle I simply fail to pick them up....

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 5:22 am

The only non verbal cues I seem to pick up is the really obvious ones.

kush
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2010, 7:52 am

dose anyone else get offended by the veary idea of serious body languge like im weird cuz I talk to other human beings stright up and dont treat everyone aroumd me like animals or always tlak around elefant im just stright up and honest and ppl cant handle it they retated ones trying to use body lanuge like we dont spaek english lol

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 6:36 pm

kush wrote:
dose anyone else get offended by the veary idea of serious body languge like im weird cuz I talk to other human beings stright up and dont treat everyone aroumd me like animals or always tlak around elefant im just stright up and honest and ppl cant handle it they retated ones trying to use body lanuge like we dont spaek english lol

Buddy, I think you need to learn to write English -- periods are a must. ;)

Human beings are animals, and as animals, subject to the same types of behaviors as the rest of them.

Robin_Hood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2010, 7:33 am

This topic is very good.. I need someone to wack me over the head and tell me point blank that they like me for me to realise.

It's just lucky that I'm married! My life would be very confusing otherwise. I remember that a former boss once stood in front of me with his leg on a chair and his groin in my direction whilst talking to me one day. I remember only thinking at the time that it was odd, realising later after reading books on body language that this was indeed a signal. D'oh

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 8:20 am

Robin_Hood wrote:
I remember that a former boss once stood in front of me with his leg on a chair and his groin in my direction whilst talking to me one day. I remember only thinking at the time that it was odd, realising later after reading books on body language that this was indeed a signal. D'oh

So men point their groin in the direction of women they like?!?!? Really?!?!?!

Being a man myself it's the first time I hear/read that. That's just absolutely hilarious if that's true :lol:

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 7:03 pm

Salonfilosoof wrote:
Robin_Hood wrote:
I remember that a former boss once stood in front of me with his leg on a chair and his groin in my direction whilst talking to me one day. I remember only thinking at the time that it was odd, realising later after reading books on body language that this was indeed a signal. D'oh

Being a man myself it's the first time I hear/read that. That's just absolutely hilarious if that's true :lol:

I had a band teacher say something along those lines several years back. I was in middle school at the time. There were two trouble-makers in my band class, and one day the band teacher mentioned something about how their body language could be construed. He basically lashed back at them by saying they were attracted to each other.

*shrug* I thought it was funny. Plus, the awkwardness made them quiet down for a few days, so while not a permanent solution, it did work for those few days.

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 4:45 am

CerebralDreamer wrote:
I had a band teacher say something along those lines several years back. I was in middle school at the time. There were two trouble-makers in my band class, and one day the band teacher mentioned something about how their body language could be construed. He basically lashed back at them by saying they were attracted to each other.

*shrug* I thought it was funny. Plus, the awkwardness made them quiet down for a few days, so while not a permanent solution, it did work for those few days.

I still find the entire concept of pointing your crotch to someone you like a bit.... ackward.

Robin_Hood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2010, 5:43 am

Quote:

Being a man myself it's the first time I hear/read that. That's just absolutely hilarious if that's true Laughing

Like I say I thought it was an odd way to behave at the time but had no idea that this was an attraction thing.. I just thought it was weird. :lol:

People did use to make comments like we should get a room also around the same time.. Which obviously I had no idea where they got those ideas.. I'm pretty clueless!! 8O

Robin_Hood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2010, 6:03 am

Here's a bit about it from a book called Body Language - How to read others thought from their gestures by Allan Pease:

Quote:
The most aggressive sexual display he can make towards the female is the aggressive thumbs-in-belt gesture that highlights his genital region. He may also turn his body towards her and point his foot at her. He uses the intimate gaze and holds her gaze for a split second longer than normal. If he is really keen his pupils will be dilated. He often stands with his hands on hips to accentuate his physical size and show his readiness to be involved with the female. When seated or leaning against a wall, he may also spread his legs to give a crotch display.

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 6:07 am

Robin_Hood wrote:
Here a bit about it from a book called Body Language - How to read others thought from their gestures by Allan Pease:

Quote:
The most aggressive sexual display he can make towards the female is the aggressive thumbs-in-belt gesture that highlights his genital region. He may also turn his body towards her and point his foot at her. He uses the intimate gaze and holds her gaze for a split second longer than normal. If he is really keen his pupils will be dilated. He often stands with his hands on hips to accentuate his physical size and show his readiness to be involved with the female. When seated or leaning against a wall, he may also spread his legs to give a crotch display.

The slightly longer gaze and pupil dilation make sense as well as the use of an open body posture directed towards her, but the whole crotch pointing just seems too.... explicit I guess. I don't think I ever would feel comfortable doing this consciously, although I may have done this sub-consciously in the past. I honestly wouldn't know.

lewdi28792
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2010, 7:38 pm

to me - it seems more likely for 2 aspies to be able to click and open up. does that make any sense or is my form of logic a little off? my logic says that because the 2 people are in the exact same boat - and being in the same boat it would make it easier to relate to each other.

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2011, 7:22 pm

This is a really good post! I posted something earlier about this woman who sits next to me in one of my classes that has been not only been showing body language, but also has been trying to start conversations with me every class. To continue from my old post, last class she asked to borrow a piece of paper from me, but was talking about the weather again like when she borrowed the pen from me the previous class. Just today was a little different though. The professor was in the middle of his lecture and she turned to me and asked me if I understand what he is talking about, because I guess it was going over her head. I wasn't expecting it and it was so sudden. She darts her head to face me and looked deep into my eyes and asked me that and I just told her that I understand it for the most part, but when he speaks using a lot of jargon it can be hard to follow and that it seems to require all of my focus. Then another thing happened. I asked the professor if there was going to be a quiz on Monday and he kind of got a little mad and said something like: "Your really asking me about a quiz now?" I was felt he was being a little rude because of his unnecessary tone with me so I wound up smarting off to him and that woman who sits next to me looked at me and actually laughed pretty loud. I think she thought it was genuinely funny because a few people thought what I said was funny too, but she laughed louder than the others and looked at me too. I also noticed that she was sitting with one leg hanging over the other and the leg that was hanging over the other was pointing towards me and she was doing that thing where she was slipping her foot in and out of her slip on that was hanging in the air. Does this woman like me and want to be more than friends? Can the women on here please explain if this is an obvious case and should I just ask her out already?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 5:59 pm

racooneyes wrote:
The simple answer to that is don't listen to their words so much.

Not so simple. Personally, I get annoyed when I'm in a conversation with someone who doesn't seem to be paying close attention to my words. Do others here (both ASD and NT) feel the same way?