Do Aspies generally accept the self-diagnosed?

Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 1:58 pm

buryuntime wrote:
self dxed people anger me. OKAY to say you identify with autism symptoms. NOT OKAY to claim you have autism without a diagnosis. It´s as simple as that. Simply put, considering I did not know such social rules even EXISTED to know I was lacking them or to even identify with something like autism before was aware of the diagnosis,

After a few years (let alone 10 or 20) in the world where you need to work a job to survive and you'd have known *something* was wrong. Outside of school, no one cares if you starve, and the world will gladly let it happen because of social rules (and EF & sensory issues). And no one outside of schools knows what AS is (teachers are trained to know -- it's not because it's general knowledge). You just didn't have to find out the hard way because you your case was picked up early (and assessed for free). And maybe your case is very mild, if you were so totally unaware of it. (but maybe I'm wrong -- I was suicidal by 13)
Quote:
I find it very hard to believe someone could diagnose themselves accurately with something like autism.

I've had cardio problems missed by doctors, correctly recognized by me (and tested for and confirmed), among other things, so my belief that doctors are genius gods bestowing a magical absolute certainty is resting in peace along with my belief in the Tooth Fairy.

"What is autism?"
http://www.autreat.com/definitions.html

No discussions like that anymore, because all it is is a medical diagnosis, now.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 2:54 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
buryuntime wrote:
self dxed people anger me. OKAY to say you identify with autism symptoms. NOT OKAY to claim you have autism without a diagnosis. It´s as simple as that. Simply put, considering I did not know such social rules even EXISTED to know I was lacking them or to even identify with something like autism before was aware of the diagnosis,

After a few years (let alone 10 or 20) in the world where you need to work a job to survive and you'd have known *something* was wrong. Outside of school, no one cares if you starve, and the world will gladly let it happen because of social rules (and EF & sensory issues). And no one outside of schools knows what AS is (teachers are trained to know -- it's not because it's general knowledge). You just didn't have to find out the hard way because you your case was picked up early (and assessed for free). And maybe your case is very mild, if you were so totally unaware of it. (but maybe I'm wrong -- I was suicidal by 13)
Quote:
I find it very hard to believe someone could diagnose themselves accurately with something like autism.

I've had cardio problems missed by doctors, correctly recognized by me (and tested for and confirmed), among other things, so my belief that doctors are genius gods bestowing a magical absolute certainty is resting in peace along with my belief in the Tooth Fairy.

"What is autism?"
http://www.autreat.com/definitions.html

No discussions like that anymore, because all it is is a medical diagnosis, now.

How does being suicidal warrant awareness that you have a social problem? It is very possible to be too depressed or too naíve or too socially ignorant to pick this up. I fail to register how that has anything to do with anything other than depression, in which case it´s very possible to be depressed because you don't know WHY you behave the way you do, you just think you are bad and that is why.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 3:05 pm

Thanks Millie, Elderwanda and Spokane Girl for relating to my post :) . Yes I think the experiences we had at school and beyond do a lot to shape us. Also, going through a school system where AS doesnt exist certainly shapes your self esteem.. I only wish there was social skills training around when I was growing up. I dont even remember the term "social skills" existing then. I think mine was one of the last generations who were left to sink or swim.. I think schools try a lot harder now to recognise and accommodate for those who are different.

Taking a break.