Emotional Intelligence test - Question

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

aislinn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2010, 2:00 am

TallyMan wrote:
I don't think that "About.com" test is very accurate; it seems very superficial and the questions are way too subjective.
Something is wrong if I'm in the lowest 2% on one test and higher than average on another.
The text results for the first test were also much more like me than the following text:

Your results indicate an above average score on emotional intelligence.

What Does Your Score Mean?
People with a better than average score on emotional intelligence tend to be good at interpreting, understanding, and acting upon emotions. They are usually quite good at dealing with social or emotional conflicts, expressing their feelings, and dealing with emotional situations.

It's important to remember that no matter how good your score is, there is always room to improve your emotional intelligence. Consider areas where you are not as strong and think of ways that you can learn and grow. Take stock of your strong points and find ways to continue to develop and apply these skills.
I think the test in the link I gave could be less accurate actually...there weren't as many questions, and they didn't give you an actual score. And I don't think the questions would've done enough to determine your Ei..I think the first test I took with 106 questions would've been more accurate. With the pictures and everything. But that's just my opinion, lol...

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 3:02 am

Who cares what Aisha, Steve, Ellen, Claudette etc are thinking anyway? I wouldnt worry about this test or its results.. I think emotional intelligence is overrated.

I dont have the attention span for the test. 106 questions: yikes. I have got below average in the EQ test so I think that is all the emotional testing I need to do.

Taking a break.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 12:18 pm

Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 78
Subscale percentile = 8

I have to wonder if it was the first part of the test that really brought my score down. Especially, the questions about being touchy feely. I have tactile issues with people being in my personal space, and don't like anyone besides my spouse, and children to touch me. I don't necessarily think that it has anything to do with my emotions. I'd really like to know what my score was in relation to the questions about what others may be feeling, ie;the pictures, and scenarios. I'm not interested enough to buy the report, though. :lol:

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 12:35 pm

I vaguely remember taking that test, but then finding that in order to see the score I would have to pay. Is this that one?

Did you guys all have to pay for your results? My husband is kind of between jobs, and I can't justify paying for online EQ test results.

TallyMan, you are one of the people on WP who, IMO, always seems to have some useful words of wisdom. Maybe I'm just fooled by your avatar, :lol: . I think you have a lot to offer, though, and certainly don't come across as having any kind of emotional impairment. (I'm having a hard time grasping what that even really means, in terms of anything useful.) Now I'm curious, though. Maybe I'll go and check out that test again, and try to figure out was Aisha, Shontelle, and Calpurnia are feeling. Or whatever their names were.

Edited to add:

I just took the test. I was sure last time it told me I needed to pay for a full report. But this time I got a result:

Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 84
Subscale percentile = 14

Okay, but I wonder what the "correct" answers were. The questions where you are supposed to guess what the person is feeling were difficult because we don't know the whole situation. Take that girl in the first picture, who's looking up into the sky. Once we've been told that her boyfriend just broke up with her, are we supposed to assume that the look on her face is sadness? That would be reasonable, I suppose. But, I can easily imagine myself feeling like, "Okay, it didn't work out with my boyfriend, so I guess it's time to move on, and oh, look! What a sweet little bird up there in the lamppost! I wonder if it's a black phoebe? How curious the way they always perch on something like that!" I mean, maybe the look on her face is because she observing something. Or maybe she's imagining something. Why assume that she is brooding over the boyfriend situation?

The other girl in that picture seemed to be telling a story, so maybe she was doing a voice or an imitation, and the look on her face has nothing to do with her current feelings. Later, they suggest that they girl she's addressing was not paying attention, but it looked to me like she was paying close attention. She was looking down a bit, but still facing towards the speaker. I do that when I'm listening, and least some of the time. You can't be expected to be constantly gazing into the other person's eyes, or you'd look like a creepy psycho-killer.

So...whatever. There's my two cents.

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jan 2010, 6:53 pm

Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 65
Subscale percentile = 1

hoorah

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2010, 8:50 pm

self-report component

score = 88

percentile = 21

"....emotional intelligence is somewhat poor..." etc.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 4:39 am

TallyMan wrote:
Why are there two figures for the results? Can anyone explain please?

Snapshot Report Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 70
Subscale percentile = 2

It appears the site only provided a subscale score, not an overall one (which may be higher). You have to pay for that.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 3:49 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
Who cares what Aisha, Steve, Ellen, Claudette etc are thinking anyway? I wouldnt worry about this test or its results.. I think emotional intelligence is overrated.

Well, I think that there is a body of research that suggests that emotional intelligence is a factor in successful relationships with individuals. Given that most of us are obliged to relate to other individuals in order to succeed in our education, to secure employment, and to progress in our careers.

I don't like the fact that I am challenged in this; but I am glad to know where my shortcomings lie so that I can do what is necessary to compensate for them.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 4:07 pm

elderwanda wrote:
TallyMan, you are one of the people on WP who, IMO, always seems to have some useful words of wisdom. Maybe I'm just fooled by your avatar, :lol: . I think you have a lot to offer, though, and certainly don't come across as having any kind of emotional impairment.

Thank you for the kind words - I think. :lol:

I'm afraid the text associated with my low score was quite accurate. I do tend to be helpful and kind to people and a peaceful, none aggressive sort of person. However, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm capable of giving good advice regarding emotions. The advice questions in the test completely stumped me. I also get stumped if someone is aggressive towards me or says something nasty. I can't comprehend what is happening and have no idea what to say or do in response. I only tend to relate to people at a logical, none-emotional level. However, I do tend to play the joker and can tease people in a gentle humorous sort of way so maybe there is some emotional interaction there. :?

Justifine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2010, 5:08 pm

::I think emotional intelligence is overrated.::

A recent study at Harvard determined that emotional intelligence is over two times more important than IQ, degrees, and other factors in determining someone's success in their personal and professional lives.

The good news is that emotional intelligence can be strengthened and worked on. I do not have Asperger's or ADD, however I dated someone who did for a long time. Part of lacking emotional intelligence is an unawareness of self and thus an unawareness of others and someone with disorders of inattention rarely realizes how bad these problems can be or how much they can impact those closest to them.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 5:44 pm

Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 71
Subscale percentile = 3

According to your self-report answers, your emotional intelligence is very poor. People who score like you do feel that they have trouble dealing with their own emotions and those of others. They struggle to overcome difficulties in their lives and they are unable to control their moods. It's hard for them to understand how best to motivate themselves and reach their goals. In addition, they find social interactions quite difficult, for several reasons. They may have trouble allowing themselves to get close with others, finding it difficult to be vulnerable enough to establish intimacy. They also report having trouble offering support to others, likely due to the fact that they do not understand where others are coming from or they lack ideas about how best to help. Perhaps by working on your problem areas, you can become more confident in dealing with your own emotions and those of others.

Uh.... ?! WHAT ? I did answered honestly and logically to the questiones linked to other people's emotions I thought I would do better than that.

As for my own emotions, I actually am pretty able to control them and analyze them, I find motivation on my own to reach my goals... whichs means that I am totally "ret*d" when it comes to understanding others.

I thought I would do better honestly, this is very strange because I analyzed each situation (most options did not seem to fit with the photographs by the way), I do not understand. I knew I would not be above average because I have trouble comforting people or understanding them before they tell me how they feel but I do understand people when I analyze them.

By the way, I am "above average" with the other quizz... but the tests are probably not accurate.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:47 am

Livia wrote:
Subscale IQ score = 55
Subscale percentile = 0.13

It's rather funny actually. I'm not very intelligent according to this. Lowest score in my entire life.

Ditto.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 7:11 am

Subscale IQ score = 55
Subscale percentile = 0.13

According to your self-report answers, your emotional intelligence is very poor. People who score like you do feel that they have trouble dealing with their own emotions and those of others. They struggle to overcome difficulties in their lives and they are unable to control their moods. It's hard for them to understand how best to motivate themselves and reach their goals. In addition, they find social interactions quite difficult, for several reasons. They may have trouble allowing themselves to get close with others, finding it difficult to be vulnerable enough to establish intimacy. They also report having trouble offering support to others, likely due to the fact that they do not understand where others are coming from or they lack ideas about how best to help. Perhaps by working on your problem areas, you can become more confident in dealing with your own emotions and those of others.