Page 1 of 32 [ 508 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 12:26 am

This will hopefully be a thread for general discussion of the Pokémon games (not the anime, not the cards, just the video games). It's not going to die because I won't shut up about Pokémon, but hopefully I won't be talking to myself.

I figured I would start off talking about battling styles. What's everyone's style of choice? Do you like stall, or do you prefer a more offensive style? I enjoy heavy offense, with hard-hitting but sometimes frail Pokémon. These are some good examples right here:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I enjoy this style a lot because it's fun just to overwhelm your opponent through the strength of your attacks. Oddly enough, though, I also like stall. It's very satisfying to see your opponent's best attempts at attacking do almost no damage, all while your entry hazards (Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock) are damaging them.

So to start off the discussion, what's everyone's preferred playstyle and why? What Pokémon do you use to execute your strategy?

EDIT: And, of course, feel free to choose a subject of your own to discuss as well.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 2:10 am

I usualy like to use the style of sweeping , useing high attack pokemon often with high speed, probably the move that fits me most most is nightslash. I also like to throw in sleeping and confusion moves to disrupt the opponent.

MinorAnnoyance
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2010, 11:37 am

Sadly I had to leave Pokémon with silver. After creating what I thought to be the ultimate Totodile, (it have ancient power!) I realised it took months to do and creating my next "ultimate" pokémon it would take months too, and there are 250+ pokémon. So I decided I might want to play more than one game in my lifetime. Also since this was back before online play there wasn't anything I could do with my Pokémon anyway (except Pokémon stadium). So I didn't really need a style or strategy all that much for fighting the AI.

Now I'm just playing Pokémon Rumble.

P.S. Is it common knowledge now that the guy who created Pokémon has AS?

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 1:59 pm

MinorAnnoyance wrote:
Sadly I had to leave Pokémon with silver. After creating what I thought to be the ultimate Totodile, (it have ancient power!) I realised it took months to do and creating my next "ultimate" pokémon it would take months too, and there are 250+ pokémon. So I decided I might want to play more than one game in my lifetime. Also since this was back before online play there wasn't anything I could do with my Pokémon anyway (except Pokémon stadium). So I didn't really need a style or strategy all that much for fighting the AI.

Now I'm just playing Pokémon Rumble.

P.S. Is it common knowledge now that the guy who created Pokémon has AS?

It's been discovered that Emerald version (and Platinum's, but it's harder to find the seed) has a very predictable "random" number generator. With this, you can capture ultimate Pokémon with just a little preparation (and a small learning curve). I'm hoping to learn how to do this on an emulator, as it would be awesome.

Bradleigh wrote:
I usualy like to use the style of sweeping , useing high attack pokemon often with high speed, probably the move that fits me most most is nightslash. I also like to throw in sleeping and confusion moves to disrupt the opponent.

Yeah, sleep moves are great. That's why I like Breloom. It takes a long time to get it just right in-game, but once you get one with Spore/Focus Punch, you will tear stuff apart. Gengar is another good one for this: it's fast, hits hard, and has Hypnosis.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 11:30 pm

I love offensive, I use it the most, though when I have a grass type I'll sometimes use Leech Seed, which I love :D

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 7:58 pm

ebec11 wrote:
I love offensive, I use it the most, though when I have a grass type I'll sometimes use Leech Seed, which I love :D

Yet another thing Breloom can do! With a moveset of Spore/Leech Seed/Substitute/Focus Punch and holding a Toxic Orb, Breloom can easily become one of the most annoying (substitute annoying with AWESOME if you're the one using it) Pokémon in the game. With Toxic Orb, it heals 1/8 of its HP (thanks to its ability Poison Heal), and then you add Leech Seed recovery on top of that, all while he's protected from status by his beneficial poison and from critical hits/stat drops by his substitute and smacking the crap out of you with a 150 base power attack.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 10:50 pm

Breloom is also very weak to flying moves, and it is quite common to have at least one flying pokemon, though it does also have alot of imunities upon looking up. I never realised Breloom was any good I might spend a little time if it could be an effective addition, I might not have to rely on my sometimes Houndoom for a grass move (solar beam).

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 11:34 pm

I wish they had an ice/steel or ice/fighting hybrid my 2 favorite types not yet matched, already have ice/water and ice/dark

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 5:44 pm

Ebonwinter wrote:
I wish they had an ice/steel or ice/fighting hybrid my 2 favorite types not yet matched, already have ice/water and ice/dark

I wish they would make some non-legendary Dragons (other than Kingdra, one is not enough) that were mixed with types other than Ground or Flying. I would LOVE to see a Dragon/Fire or Dragon/Electric (heck, I think a Dragon/Fighting Pokémon would be amazingly cool). That's what I like about the third and fourth gnerations: they definitely came up with some unique type combinations (Psychic/Fighting, Steel/Fire, Ghost/Dark, Water/Grass, etc.).

Bradleigh wrote:
Breloom is also very weak to flying moves, and it is quite common to have at least one flying pokemon, though it does also have alot of imunities upon looking up. I never realised Breloom was any good I might spend a little time if it could be an effective addition, I might not have to rely on my sometimes Houndoom for a grass move (solar beam).

It is very common to have a flying-type Pokémon, but less common to have a flying-type move. Breloom also learns Stone Edge, which is super-effective against Flying-types. Plus, a 100% accurate sleep move makes it hard to counter effectively.

Lots of good Pokémon have double weaknesses: Gyarados to Electric, Salamence to Ice, Scizor to Fire, Swampert to Grass, Tyranitar to Fighting, Celebi to Bug, Yanmega to Rock, etc.

Last edited by pat2rome on 09 Jan 2010, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 10:27 pm

pat2rome wrote:
Ebonwinter wrote:

I wish they would make some non-legendary Dragons (other than Kingdra (one is not enough) that were mixed with types other than Ground or Flying. I would LOVE to see a Dragon/Fire or Dragon/Electric (heck, I think a Dragon/Fighting Pokémon would be amazingly cool). That's what I like about the third and fourth gnerations: they definitely came up with some unique type combinations (Psychic/Fighting, Steel/Fire, Ghost/Dark, Water/Grass, etc.).

Bradleigh wrote:

It is very common to have a flying-type Pokémon, but less common to have a flying-type move. Breloom also learns Stone Edge, which is super-effective against Flying-types. Plus, a 100% accurate sleep move makes it hard to counter effectively.

Lots of good Pokémon have double weaknesses: Gyarados to Electric, Salamence to Ice, Scizor to Fire, Swampert to Grass, Tyranitar to Fighting, Celebi to Bug, Yanmega to Rock, etc.

All the fully evolved dragon types save for kingdra are double weak to ice which for me is nice

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 2:14 pm

pat2rome wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

Yet another thing Breloom can do! With a moveset of Spore/Leech Seed/Substitute/Focus Punch and holding a Toxic Orb, Breloom can easily become one of the most annoying (substitute annoying with AWESOME if you're the one using it) Pokémon in the game. With Toxic Orb, it heals 1/8 of its HP (thanks to its ability Poison Heal), and then you add Leech Seed recovery on top of that, all while he's protected from status by his beneficial poison and from critical hits/stat drops by his substitute and smacking the crap out of you with a 150 base power attack.
Might consider using that pet next time :D Is Breloom in Silver? Because I'm waiting for the new version for the DS to come out.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 7:48 pm

ebec11 wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

Might consider using that pet next time :D Is Breloom in Silver? Because I'm waiting for the new version for the DS to come out.

Heart gold and soul silver will be like diamond and pearl it'll have many of the past pokemon. I wonder how much longer til they run out of colors for names?

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 8:22 pm

ebec11 wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

It's not in Silver (first appeared in Ruby/Sapphire), but according to Bulbapedia you can get Shroomish, who evolves into Breloom, by Headbutting trees in Viridian Forest in the Gold/Silver remakes.

I hated how you could only get some really awesome Pokemon in Gold/Silver when the game was basically already over. You found Larvitar and Sneasel in Mt. Silver, the very last place you could go. You could also only find a Houndour once you were about halfway through Kanto.

Another good moveset for Breloom is Spore/Focus Punch/Seed Bomb/Stone Edge. You get a lot better type coverage with three attacks, and it really plays to Breloom's strengths (100% accurate sleep move and base 130 attack). You can make him hold a Toxic Orb to reliably activate Poison Heal (make sure he has that ability and not Effect Spore or you'll get a not-so-fun surprise), or, if you can predict the opponent trying to Poison you, you can make him hold a Life Orb to make him hit even harder and still heal 2.5% each turn.

Any other Pokemon like Breloom anyone wants to know more about?

Dillonator5
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2010, 7:12 pm

Personally I like to battle offensively. High Attack and Special Attack are what i look for. And I say "Who needs moves like Growl or Thunderwave?" Its all about the high damage moves. Hydro pump, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, thats what i like. 8)

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 9:37 pm

Dillonator5 wrote:
Personally I like to battle offensively. High Attack and Special Attack are what i look for. And I say "Who needs moves like Growl or Thunderwave?" Its all about the high damage moves. Hydro pump, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, thats what i like. 8)
Usually I have one semi-defensive moves, like Poisionpowder, Thunderwave, etc for a while, then I go completely offensive on a whim :P

Eluveitie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jan 2010, 2:38 am

5 high damage pokemon that are balanced around eg. Fire, Grass, Electric, Water. And 1 support pokemon, like wobbefet or however its spelt :D

I really need to get moar pokemon games.