Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 12:45 am

Perambulator wrote:
I'm an idiot but today I ate a large bar of chocolate before going into my college course. I felt I couldn't face it but after eating the chocolate I started laughing like a happy maniac. I was quite jolly, even though almost as withdrawn as ever, for the rest of the day.

So ditch the pills and eat chocolate! :D

There is actual evidence that the antioxidents in chocolate can releve stress and such. I'd personaly rather be fat from chocolate, than doped up on something.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 7:47 am

Carl_LaFong wrote:
Not sure if anti-depressant pills can make you more depressed. I'm guessing they could if you depend strictly on the meds and don't try other kinds of therapy. All I know for sure is they didn't work for me- all I got was consistent headaches so I made the decision to stop taking them.

This was a good book which argues against over-medicating with anti-depressants:
Comfortably Numb by Charles Barber
subtitled How Psychiatry is Medicating a Nation

A couple things that he points out:
-- how little they actually know about how SSRIs affect neurotransmitters. He mentioned one European drug which does the opposite as an SSRI (promotes serotonin re-uptake) and has similar success rates.
-- European countries tend to be more sensible in their approach. As an example he quotes a UK guideline which states that for mild to moderate depression, non-drug treatments should be attempted first.

Yes they can make you more depressed. If you look at that paper that goes inside the medication box you can see that most of the anti-depressives (I don´t know about mood stabilizers) have as possible side effects the exact same symptoms you have in a depression. So the can make everything worse.

I posted here my views on overmedicating with antidepressants (it is not that elaborate!), if you are interested in reading it: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2526715 ... t=#2526715