Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 6:55 am

Has anyone here read other books by Temple Grandin that are not directly about Autism? I recommend Animals in Translation. It is a fascinating read and relates to her work as an animal behaviorist.

http://www.grandin.com/inc/animals.in.translation.html

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2010, 11:24 am

This book is on my list to buy. I got a Barnes & Noble gift card from my daughter for Christmas and I'll be using it for this book and a few others.

I really like and agree with these ideas of Temple:

Quote:
redefines consciousness and argues that language is not a requirement for consciousness

Yes. We (living creatures) don't need words to think. We have images that tell stories and a memory of past experiences and the emotions that go with them.

Quote:
explores the "Interpreter" in the normal human brain that filters out detail, creating an unintentional blindness that animals and autistics do not suffer from

Oh yeah. We (animals and autists) see (know, experience) things that other people do not.

Quote:
argues that the single worst thing you can do to an animal is make it feel afraid

Of course. This makes so much sense. And it applies to children as well, especially autistic children and to anyone no matter the age. Instilling fear in anything is a cruel and evil practice. It's terrorism.