Re-establishing Contact: How do you do it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Nitz
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2006, 9:06 pm

This is something that I've been having some trouble with lately; even though I do have friends, a great many of them I've lost touch with, and haven't spoken to in months, even years. I suppose part of it is my fault, because I'm not very good with initiating contact and calling people, but these people aren't doing their part to try and contact me either, so I don't know if contacting them would be a welcome suprise or a rude interruption. As hard as it is for me to contact someone I don't know in the first place, it's even harder to contact someone I haven't seen in a while, because I don't know if they want to hear from them. This is as true of real life friends as it is of online-only friends, many of whom I've lost touch with, even when I very much wanted to keep talking to them.

Does anyone have any advice as far as how to re-establish contact with old friends? In other words, is there any special way of going about contacting someone without being obtrusive?

ELLCIM
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2006, 9:35 pm

Nitz wrote:
This is something that I've been having some trouble with lately; even though I do have friends, a great many of them I've lost touch with, and haven't spoken to in months, even years. I suppose part of it is my fault, because I'm not very good with initiating contact and calling people, but these people aren't doing their part to try and contact me either, so I don't know if contacting them would be a welcome suprise or a rude interruption. As hard as it is for me to contact someone I don't know in the first place, it's even harder to contact someone I haven't seen in a while, because I don't know if they want to hear from them. This is as true of real life friends as it is of online-only friends, many of whom I've lost touch with, even when I very much wanted to keep talking to them.

Does anyone have any advice as far as how to re-establish contact with old friends? In other words, is there any special way of going about contacting someone without being obtrusive?

I hate to say it, but there aint much point. If you try to contact someone, they likely will ignore it, from my experience. The only reason I would try is if you had a really good relationship with them previously, and there are no major wounds present in the relationship. You might have a chance in that case.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2006, 12:28 am

I dont like making any contact with people who i do not naturally and casually contact over my day and week. I think it is pointless and annoying to try to get together with people who you do not naturally see. A trick however is to get a hobby or job which causes you to see them many times a day. I hate meeting old friends i never see anymore because they want to get together sometime and do something. And neither of us know the others schedual and there is like no damn chance there wont be a conflict.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2006, 10:02 pm

I too have had that problem and sorry to say I have no easy solution theres a hole list of people I'like to contact but it's hard to do they are far away and I'm akward on the phone.

night
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Mar 2006, 12:40 pm

Nitz wrote:
I'm not very good with initiating contact and calling people, but these people aren't doing their part to try and contact me either?

That's something that's been really irritating me, why don't people contact me even when I do give an effort to contact them?
I've lost contact with nearly all of my so-called friends, which were a few to start with. I don't think the occasional short IM chats count.