Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Adventus
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2010, 2:26 pm

Looks like we will soon have a test that really diagnoses autism. Hope it works.

Diagnosing Autism with MEG Imaging!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 4:16 pm

Looks very preliminary, but promising. Too bad this isn't published yet. Shall pick apart the paper when I can access it. :)

Even a screening test with a high false-positive rate would be useful!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 4:30 pm

This "delay" very well typifies my problems with communication, and it's great they have narrowed it down so well and are even able to see it in action through imaging technology. I think that is awesome!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 4:30 pm

Quote:
The children with ASDs responded to sound 11 milliseconds (only about a hundredth of a second) slower than the control children did. Within the group already diagnosed with ASDs, the delays were similar regardless of language impairments.

Interesting...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 6:13 pm

That's very good news. We need better tools.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 6:57 pm

Ooey! Interesting.

I always said I had a "delay" problem. In several ways. Sometimes when listening to people talk the words only register as pure sounds and it takes me a second or two to process them as language instead of raw sound. I wonder if that's an ASD trait??

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 7:10 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Ooey! Interesting.

I always said I had a "delay" problem. In several ways. Sometimes when listening to people talk the words only register as pure sounds and it takes me a second or two to process them as language instead of raw sound. I wonder if that's an ASD trait??

I expect so.

andrew_w
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2010, 2:19 am

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Ooey! Interesting.

That happens to me occasionally as well. I think that it's a fairly common autistic trait. The findings of this study don't surprise me at all.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 3:50 am

It also happens to me. I usually percive sounds and THEN words.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 8:24 am

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Ooey! Interesting.

Yes, this happens to me alot of the times... I thought that I was the only one that has this problem? Happens alot when I'm in crowded places.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 8:52 am

That's a big, duh moment.

Auditory and visual processing problems are universal in people with an ASD (as are other sensory responses). You can "diagnose" it just the same and without any special tools by calling the name of someone with an ASD in a crowd or other area with a lot of sensory stimuli, and they'll be delayed in looking at you (see: "they appear deaf").

It's just diagnosing one symptom though (meaning, it's one test), which can be there in people without an ASD too (I have a cousin with auditory processing problems without an ASD, for example).