Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

22 Jan 2010, 7:01 pm

to o.p.

so you claim. I find dogs are not lovable at all. They are mostly stupid. Ditto for horses and cows. I find whales and dolphin more admirable.

ruveyn



TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 516

22 Jan 2010, 7:49 pm

ruveyn wrote:
to o.p.

so you claim. I find dogs are not lovable at all. They are mostly stupid. Ditto for horses and cows. I find whales and dolphin more admirable.

ruveyn


I think it is true that dogs are the only animal besides humans that understand that when you point somewhere you aren't just showing them your finger.

Whale and dolphin do taste better though.



Sand
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Age: 93
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,876
Location: Finland

22 Jan 2010, 8:09 pm

Although whales are definitely intellectual, when I go walking in the woods with my pet whale it has a hard time keeping up and my pet food bill is rather out of hand.



Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,987
Location: Belgium

22 Jan 2010, 9:17 pm

TheOddGoat wrote:

I think it is true that dogs are the only animal besides humans that understand that when you point somewhere you aren't just showing them your finger.

Whale and dolphin do taste better though.

My dog certainly doesn't grasp that concept.



Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,703
Location: Claremont, California

22 Jan 2010, 10:53 pm

I read that dogs have a theory of mind. One example that demonstrates this is contagious yawning.

Image


_________________
As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other.

-Pythagoras


Sand
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Age: 93
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,876
Location: Finland

23 Jan 2010, 12:35 am

I always am jealous of dogs because they can pee on lamp posts and trees and defecate publicly in the street when the need demands it and I am not so privileged.
Image



lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,106

23 Jan 2010, 5:41 am

i think people like animals better, as our ingraind competition between each other inhibits us in seeing people as beautiful. I think things such as 'in group/out group' behaviour is so strong in people because it is an inherant thing, all the studies done on over comeing prejudice show is is nearly impossble. So I think when we see people it presses our prejudice buttons and so we are prevented from seeing the true beauty of them which we would easily be able to appreciate when watching a wolf run or a bird flying.



techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,922
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

23 Jan 2010, 10:03 am

lotusblossom wrote:
i think people like animals better, as our ingraind competition between each other inhibits us in seeing people as beautiful. I think things such as 'in group/out group' behaviour is so strong in people because it is an inherant thing, all the studies done on over comeing prejudice show is is nearly impossble. So I think when we see people it presses our prejudice buttons and so we are prevented from seeing the true beauty of them which we would easily be able to appreciate when watching a wolf run or a bird flying.

I'm inclined to think that we do have an aesthetic sense for humanity - I'd think of it as crushing on someone a bit - though agreeable that we don't readily show it to someone in our peer group or within an age range where they have it in them to get lippy with us or be apt to take it the wrong way. Also, a lot of the way women and guys dress up - while part of it is secondary sexuality, a lot of the bend on it is driven by ones own desire to express themselves, in the case of an introvert maybe wear their innerworld as much as they can on the outside as art - in a sense we seem to create quite a bit of art and many times can appreciate that as well in the next person.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 53,991
Location: Portland, Oregon

25 Jan 2010, 8:41 pm

Why is it so easy to love animals and not love humans? Humans are extraordinary animals.

Because animals, such as dogs, cats, birds,
need human companionship. It has been
this way for eons.

However, animals that are processed
for food have feelings and minds,
and writing/thinking about this
makes me sad. For example, no animal
would naturally drink the milk
of another animal beyond weaning age
and no animal would naturally
eat the flesh of another animal
with high cholestrol content.

GO ASPIE VEGETARIANS/VEGANS! You guys rock!


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,703
Location: Claremont, California

25 Jan 2010, 8:55 pm

There sure are a lot of aspie vegetarians. I used to be vegan but now I'm just vegetarian. Someday I'll be hardcore straight edge again.


_________________
As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other.

-Pythagoras


Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2009
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,067

25 Jan 2010, 9:06 pm

Some animals are very loving and affectionate and have been known to rescue and save other animals and even humans on occasion, and likewise show more compassion and empathy than many humans. Humans on the other hand are thoughtless, self-absorbed and cruel. I think that makes them smarter and more sensitive than humans, in their own way, and makes them the better companion.



Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,573

25 Jan 2010, 9:34 pm

I don't think anyone (no, not even crazy vegan people) love all animals. There are just animals that make an outstanding effort to make you hate them. Ie: The mosquito and the human. Mosquitos are so darn annoying and think they can suck out all your blood while at the same time they transmit diseases on you, and humans are also darn annoying and think they can suck out all your... hmnn, what a coincidence.

Oh and for every animal you don't eat, I am gonna eat two.


_________________
.


Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,703
Location: Claremont, California

25 Jan 2010, 10:35 pm

Yeah, I don't like mosquitoes. I don't mind killing them. Why the hostility toward vegans tho?
You'll just get fat and constipated if you eat too much meat. It's not hurting me, just yourself.


_________________
As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other.

-Pythagoras


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

26 Jan 2010, 9:16 am

Magnus wrote:
Why is it so easy to love animals and not love humans? Humans are extraordinary animals.


Because, animals are usually more forgiving of grievances and otherwise easier to maintain friendship with.



MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 19,810
Location: Earth

26 Jan 2010, 9:22 am

TheOddGoat wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
to o.p.

so you claim. I find dogs are not lovable at all. They are mostly stupid. Ditto for horses and cows. I find whales and dolphin more admirable.

ruveyn


I think it is true that dogs are the only animal besides humans that understand that when you point somewhere you aren't just showing them your finger.


You forgot cats.

The only reason why they don't do tricks is because they're above all that.

They don't see themselves as performing monkeys unlike humans and dogs.


_________________
I live as I choose or I will not live at all.
~Delores O’Riordan