Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 5:39 pm

One day, I was at work, working on the cash register. The store has a jar next to all of the cash registers for people to put their extra change in, as a donation to the local children's hospital. It is a requirement for all the cashiers to ask people to donate.

A man and his son approached my register to ring up their items. Then I asked him if he would like to donate any extra change to the children's hospital. He gladly donated, explaining that he and his son visits that hospital frequently, because his son has High-Functioning Autism.

I replied, "Oh, so do I! :) "

The man then looked very perturbed, and did not say another word. After he received his receipt, he grabbed his son and rushed out of the store.

Can anyone explain why the man might have seemed so disturbed? :?

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by CleverKitten on 17 Jan 2010, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 5:42 pm

ZOMG somebody with autism maintaining a job?!

Can´t be.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 5:53 pm

He might've thought you were being mean. Like, if you said "me too" regardless of what he'd said.

But they do not have me

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 5:58 pm

Maybe he thought you were just saying that to get him to donate more money??

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 6:10 pm

I think people tend to get caught off-guard when a "serious" subject such as Autism is discussed in a lighthearted manner.
"Oh, so do I. :) " does seem pretty lighthearted and slightly cheery.
Goodness forbid someone suffering from such a tragic disease can actually be cheerful. :roll:

But of course, I could be completely wrong. After all, the man casually brought it up in the first place. And hurrying out of the store seems a little more than "being caught off-guard."

I just don't know.
:shrug:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 6:16 pm

Maybe he thought you were lying and therefore making fun of his son. NT's think some weird things.

nickn3ro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2010, 6:16 pm

because you dont fit the stereotype riding a short bus with a helmet and velcro shoes. After I said I had it once while I was at work my cowokers and regular treated me like I was an idiot for 4 months (including riding my moms tahoe was my "short bus") Its stupid stereotypes dont fit everything Im also an Italian does that mean I whack people and carry around a gun NO! but I did deliver pizza for a little bit. If people would sit and pay attention to the truth there wouldnt be fear or anger. My father still thinks I should be "normal" even though Im on the spectrum but hey maybe this is our "normal"

17 Jan 2010, 6:29 pm

"Oh she thinks it's made up and she is one of those people who thinks everyone has it."

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 6:37 pm

CleverKitten wrote:
A man and his son approached my register to ring up their items. Then I asked him if he would like to donate any extra change to the children's hospital. He gladly donated, explaining that he and his son visits that hospital frequently, because his son has High-Functioning Autism.

I replied, "Oh, so do I! :) "

The man then looked very perturbed, and did not say another word. After he received his receipt, he grabbed his son and rushed out of the store.

Can anyone explain why the man might have seemed so disturbed? :?

Yea... hearing that you also have High-Functioning Autism can be a shock to anyone and not everyone would take it very well, like when I was a little kid, I remember being bullied because my brother had told the two girls I got autism...
Next time something like that happens, I wold keep that hidden, thats why i would do today....

WP supporter
superboyian

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 7:10 pm

I think that the man has it in his head that a person who's autistic can't possibly grow up to hold down a regular job. Maybe his son has a different set of traits that are different from yours. Maybe he thinks that his money is going towards a cure, which is a pet peve of mine.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 7:36 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
"Oh she thinks it's made up and she is one of those people who thinks everyone has it."

Yeah, this is the most likely thought process. They may have been angry as well because their day-to-day lives are probably quite stressful, yet to you it's just an intersting personal characteristic like having brown eyes... (I'm not saying there's anything wrong in that, but it may have been disturbing to them).