Page 6 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 4:59 pm

Kalikimaka wrote:
It sounded solid when I first heard of it, but as release came closer things put me off seeing it.
For one thing there's the alien love story - like it's the Twilight of nerdy guys.
For another - not a big CGI fan. It always looks cartoony. I don't mind if it's used to enhance what's already on film, but on its own, it's just a cartoon to me.
And while I liked Aliens and Terminator 2, I sorta gave up on Cameron after True Lies and Titanic.
Do I even need to mention the parallels to Dances with Wolves? South Park did. Nevermind I'm not a Costner fan to begin with.
Finally the trailers don't make this look any better than any other garbage from the past decade.

The rip-offs go further than just Dances with Wolves. James Cameron has admitted that he was inspired by the John Carter of Mars series of novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

On sabbatical...

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 7:35 pm

Kalikimaka wrote:
just a cartoon to me.

Just a cartoon? JUST A CARTOON!?!?

What, pray tell, do you have against the fine art of animation, my good sir?

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 3:13 am

Tensu wrote:
Kalikimaka wrote:
just a cartoon to me.

Just a cartoon? JUST A CARTOON!?!?

What, pray tell, do you have against the fine art of animation, my good sir?

One rock and another rock, to smash up.

Actually, it will be films like Avatar that truly blur the line between what could be considered cartoon, and what can be considered real.

Of course, James Cameron is merely further developing what George Lucas has been using the Star Wars prequels to develop. I dunno whether George Lucas was the first to use virtual sets so extensively, but he did so quite well at times. Many times, I had trouble spotting the join. And doing a lot of work on virtual sets is nothing new. A 1970's Doctor Who story, Underworld, had to have many sequences done with CSO/chroma key/blue-screen/green-screen, albeit with varying results. But they didn't have enough budget to do full sets.

On sabbatical...

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 5:44 pm

rossc wrote:
What makes a good film?
Sure the Critics can marvel over this or turn their noses up at that, but in the end it is a product for the consumers. If Joe Public like a film and are happy watching it, it is a "good film".
If it is fanciful and with a brilliant plot but people are not interested in it and don't recommend it, it is a "bad film".

I don't think it's that simple, to be honest. I mean, Plan 9 From Outer Space is officially the Worst Movie Ever Made, but it's tremendously entertaining in its awfulness. Sometimes bad can be good precisely because it's bad, if that makes any sense :)

In a Cameron-related example, I can say without shame that I enjoy Aliens far more than I do Alien, even though I know that in terms of film-making technique, innovation and style, the latter is by far the better movie, in pretty much every respect.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 5:21 pm

For the Avatar fanatics, James Cameron is writing a prequel novel to Avatar.

On sabbatical...

kornchild
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 4:57 am

I like the look of that!!
I enjoyed the film.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2010, 10:12 am

I'll wait for it to come out on DVD, then I might consider seeing it. I'm not all that excited to see it that much.